Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendation [+] game [+] Board [+] [View All]
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: If you have any further comments, consider posting in the guild...

Hi!

I've created a board game recommendation engine base on the BGG user ratings. Head over to https://recommend.games/ and try it out - just type your BGG user name into the field on the top and you'll see personal recommendations based on your BGG ratings!

This is still a very early version, so any comments are appreciated...

Cheers,
Markus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Board game recommendation engine
The first five suggestions are very good (all on my radar and all five star games), but after that something goes wrong, it jumps to one star games that I have never heard of and dont sound very good (6=Counter-Ploy, 7=HOMopoly... one of the thousands of Monopoly variants as a suggestion?! and on like that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chana Kotova
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2. is a different version of Flux(3 versions total on the suggestions list) than the one in my collection, 3. is signifiantly higher in weight than any of my games, also suggested a game that's on my wishlist already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! It works! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Spiller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got some good recommendations but #1 was a game from my wishlist and #2 was a game i allready own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This worked. Three of the top 10 recommended games were games that I have bought but that aren't on my "owned list" yet. Many of the rest of the top 25 are games that I have considered buying at one point or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Very cool, nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to add an algorithm that checks whether the person owns any version of a game, or a game on either end of a reimplementation, before recommending it:
1. Robo Rally (the new one, which plays 6). I already own the one which plays 8.
3. Burgle Bros. I own it.
4. Escape: Zombie City. I own the Big Box.
13. Escape: The Curse of the Temple. I own the Big Box.

Every time someone creates one of these, I wonder how they decide what to recommend:
2. Flash Point. Is it just because I like coops?
5. Now Boarding. Another coop.
6. Pandemic. Another coop.
7. Formula D. Because I like Rush & Bash? Rush & Bash is not just a racing game. It's almost like a board game version of Wacky Racers.
8. Sentinels of the Multiverse. ???
9. Hotshots. Another coop firefighting game.
10. 5-Minute Dungeon. Because I like Dungeon Time?
14. The Captain is Dead. Because I like Space Cadets?
16. Unexploded Cow. Because I like many other Cheapass Games?
17. Formula Dé. Another racing game.
18. Pandemic Legacy Season 1. Another coop, another Pandemic, and *shudder* one where I'd have to damage the game to play.
19. Because I like Kitchen Rush?
24. Nuclear War. ?????

I understand why people would like to have a tool like this, but the algorithms mostly assume that people just want more of what they've already got. And people's reasons for liking a particular game may not be the obvious genre/category/mechanic. I don't see how a computer could ever do this well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 of the first 10 recommendations are games I already own, so I think there's a bug somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
YourLoveOnly wrote:
5 of the first 10 recommendations are games I already own, so I think there's a bug somewhere.
This

(Though he doesn't say that's how it's supposed to work.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panupong Chotiveschakarn
Thailand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty Accurate
In 50 games in that list its in my wishlist around 60%+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S.
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Hope to see you keep refining it.

Maybe a toggle to exclude suggestions that already have logged plays? Feast for Odin came up for me though I have played it. I have a bunch of games that I’ve played once or twice that I don’t feel I know well enough to put a rating on. But I know that I’ve tried them and have a pretty good feel for the game. So don’t really need them in my suggestions. Also reiterate a previous comment to check and see if alternative versions are in the users library. I was recommended Twilight Struggle and Agricola although I own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the website, and how you display pictures. It's a lot nicer than a list of games. I also like the stars and numerical rating used in the results.

I also got four games that I own in the results - number 1 being one of them.

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sjol
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
YourLoveOnly wrote:
This

(Though he doesn't say that's how it's supposed to work.)
This happened to me too. Very good idea; keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was going to give it a try, but when I click on the link, there's nothing there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
The first five suggestions are very good (all on my radar and all five star games), but after that something goes wrong, it jumps to one star games that I have never heard of and dont sound very good (6=Counter-Ploy, 7=HOMopoly... one of the thousands of Monopoly variants as a suggestion?! and on like that)
I honestly have no clue what's going on there - haven't seen that behaviour with any other profile... I'll dig into it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone who was asking: the recommendations are solely based on ratings. Taking all the ratings on BGG, the algorithm tries to extrapolate ratings for the games a user hasn't rated yet. Plays/wishlist/owned aren't taken into consideration (yet), but it's already on the list. I did write a few lines about how it works: https://recommend.games/#/about

It's all open source, so if you find an issue, raise a ticket, or even fix the bug straight away: https://gitlab.com/mshepherd/ludoj-server

Thanks for your feedback so far, I'll keep on improving it. If you enjoy recommend.games, please share – the more people see it, the more feedback, the better the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Markus Shepherd wrote:
Hi!

I create a board game recommendation engine base on the BGG user ratings. Head over to https://recommend.games/ and try it out - just type your BGG user name into the field on the top and you'll see personal recommendations based on your BGG ratings!

This is still a very early version, so any comments are appreciated...

Cheers,
Markus
Top 10 was very good results, 8 were games that I do not own but are on my wish list or want to play list. 2 were games I own but have not played yet, so probably no need to recommend those to me as I own them already.

Extending to the rest of the Top 25, the next 15 are mostly games I'm already curious about playing, so nice job on that. There are 2 or 3 I know nothing about, but on the strength of the other recommendations I would definitely investigate the unknown ones further.

Nice job! I'd just screen out "owned" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
You really need to add an algorithm that checks whether the person owns any version of a game, or a game on either end of a reimplementation, before recommending it:
1. Robo Rally (the new one, which plays 6). I already own the one which plays 8.
3. Burgle Bros. I own it.
4. Escape: Zombie City. I own the Big Box.
13. Escape: The Curse of the Temple. I own the Big Box.

Every time someone creates one of these, I wonder how they decide what to recommend:
2. Flash Point. Is it just because I like coops?
5. Now Boarding. Another coop.
6. Pandemic. Another coop.
7. Formula D. Because I like Rush & Bash? Rush & Bash is not just a racing game. It's almost like a board game version of Wacky Racers.
8. Sentinels of the Multiverse. ???
9. Hotshots. Another coop firefighting game.
10. 5-Minute Dungeon. Because I like Dungeon Time?
14. The Captain is Dead. Because I like Space Cadets?
16. Unexploded Cow. Because I like many other Cheapass Games?
17. Formula Dé. Another racing game.
18. Pandemic Legacy Season 1. Another coop, another Pandemic, and *shudder* one where I'd have to damage the game to play.
19. Because I like Kitchen Rush?
24. Nuclear War. ?????

I understand why people would like to have a tool like this, but the algorithms mostly assume that people just want more of what they've already got. And people's reasons for liking a particular game may not be the obvious genre/category/mechanic. I don't see how a computer could ever do this well.
Yes, I agree – an inherent problem with recommendation algorithms is that they are based on "more of the same", and it's a hot research topic to tackle this.

Keep in mind, not everyone has a knowledgeable human at hand (or enough stamina to do the research), so an algorithm might point into some interesting directions.

FYI, the algorithm doesn't know about co-op, mechanics, themes etc. All it knows are ratings, so it would, generally speaking, recommend games that other people how like/dislike the same games as you have rated highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
For my recommendations, one thing I liked is that the engine did not just recommend to me the hottest most popular games that I haven't played (which some other engines do). The recommended games were quite diverse, not necessarily super popular, and seemed tailored to my own diverse tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoMBat wrote:
Was going to give it a try, but when I click on the link, there's nothing there.
Can you try again? You can see your recommendations at https://recommend.games/#/?for=DoMBat. However, since you haven't rated any games, these would just be generic recommendations.

If it still doesn't work there might be a bug in the software. In that case I'd really appreciate any further details - your browser / OS, any errors displayed, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still nothing. No error message, etc. I get a white screen with this at the top:

Markus Shepherd ©
About (then a few icons for Twitter, etc.)

And "Fork me at Gitlab" on a banner across the top right corner.

Maybe it's because I don't rate my games. I was just looking to discover something new based on my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Shepherd
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoMBat wrote:
Still nothing. No error message, etc. I get a white screen with this at the top:

Markus Shepherd ©
About (then a few icons for Twitter, etc.)

And "Fork me at Gitlab" on a banner across the top right corner.

Maybe it's because I don't rate my games. I was just looking to discover something new based on my collection.
Do you have Javascript disabled by any chance? It certainly sounds like JS is not working for some reason. You should still see the site with a list of games, just no personal recommendations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hampton
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Three BoysMicrobadge: I like to grillMicrobadge: Campfire fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Statistician
Cards against humanity is my #1 recommended game. I wouldn't touch it even if someone plated the cards with gold. Not sure how this algorithm is calculating, but at least your trying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
The recommended games were quite diverse, not necessarily super popular, and seemed tailored to my own diverse tastes.

This! Good job because of this.

My experience was lookong at the 25 the top 10 were really good recommends, some of those I have played but forgot to rate. 11th things started tonget fairly iffy offering me party games and trivia titles that are just...no.

I have over 1,700 games rated on BGG and I was impressed that it didn't grab any games i own or even previously owned. So i am wondering if people experiencing this have lower numbers of rated games maybe?

Speaking of, as you tweak this engine consider also the previously owned as well as owned categories to be rules out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |