Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrienne
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the process of painting several figures from various game, War of the Ring, Fury of Dracula and Last Night on Earth. My question is, what type of wash do you use to fill in cracks and crevices?? I am looking for the brand name and where you buy it. I purchased some at my local Hobby Town and it just does not have the effect I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You should be using acrylic paint and just use darker mixes of your base coat for shading.

Say you have a blue base coat. The highlights should be the base coat mixed with some white, the shadows should be the base coat mixed with a darker blue.

Since you're doing a wash, it should be diluted with water. Apply several coats in increasingly smaller areas to get highlights on your highest points and good dark shading in the deepest points.

There are also some paint lines, such as Reaper Master Series, that use a "triad" system for their paints. This means that you can get the base, highlight and shade colors from them without mixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flesh wash by Games Workshop?

There's also the "magic wash" that most people use (in varying ratios) made of Future acrylic floor wash and your favorite ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess that might be part of the problem, I am using enamels. When I bought the supplies, that was what I was directed towards. The 'wash' effect just didn't seem to do what I wanted. I have been using white as a base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Find yourself some useless minis to practice on so you don't ruin your gamepieces with trial and error. I use Gamesworkshop paints. They sell washes which are ready to go, no diluting needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy,

Yes, I am a beginner. When I started, I basically read a few sites and went with what they recommended. The wash was basically explained to me as something you use straight out of the bottle when you finish painting with the colors. Basically a brush on, let dry for the most part, then wipe off as much as possible. Obviously this did not give the desired effect. I have purchased quite a few of the P3 paints today, so I am headed towards all acrylic paints. Thanks for your explanation of using inks and thinning the paints, had not heard of doing that before.

Adrienne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you buy p3 paints?! - They're really thick and gluggy and they destroy the detail on the minis (even if you water them down).

I use Game Colour or Model Colour by Vellejo. They also have a range of washes.

I think what you want to do is put the base colours on the mini, ink them black (if there's lots of armour) or brown (if there's lots of fabric) and then you MUST go over them again (drybrush) in the base colours in order to bring the colour back out from the wash. That way, armour will be silver but still have ink in the crevices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is a very good tutorial for beginners. It should get you on the right path:

http://www.warmongerclub.com/articles/kingpoffy/kingpoffy1.h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I've written a fairly detailed guide for painting a War of the Ring set, designed for a complete beginner. You can find it here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...
Among other things, you'll find advice about doing washes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.