Subject: Geekbuddy stalker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: I found all the Easter eggs in 2018!Microbadge: I found all the Easter eggs in 2019!
I'm not a totally new user, but certainly a clueless one. I didn't know where to ask this question. I hope this is acceptable and that someone can help.

I was clicking around in my info., just trying to find out what things are. Clicked on Geekstuff and found out that I am on someone's Geekbuddy list. I though that maybe I had made a trade with this person at some time and they added me as a Geekbuddy, but NO, this person has NO trades whatsoever. I have no idea who this person is. I feel like I'm being stalked. Apparently adding Geekbuddies doesn't have to be mutual like on Facebook, for example, when you have to accept a "friend" request. I am not comfortable being on this person's list when I didn't agree to it. I don't want to be a Geekbuddy with a complete stranger. This is very creepy! Is there a way to get OFF this person's list and make him/her NOT add me again. I'm way creeped out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Phillipps
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
You remind me of the babe
badge
Allons-y
Microbadge: Marcus AureliusMicrobadge: I've hosted the Solitaire Games on Your Table geeklistMicrobadge: In space no one can hear you scream.Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: The Neverending Story fan
This may not help, but I have added a few GeekBuddies that I've never met but who like a lot of the same types of games as I do, which makes the Geek Analysis tool much more useful. If one of them asked me to remove them from my list I certainly would. Have you asked this user to remove you from their list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Left Joy ConMicrobadge: POW!Microbadge: Right Joy Con
I am pretty sure that you can't opt out of the geekbuddy system, which is unfortunate considering that some people may not feel comfortable with it.

However, unlike Facebook, being a geekbuddy with someone doesn't mean they get special access to any new information about you. Anyone can click on your username, browse all your games and comments, and/or follow closely any post you make in the forums, geeklists you contribute to, etc. Maybe that isn't comforting, but at least you have full control over what you post, but do know that everyone can see it.

Most people seem to add geekbuddies who like similar games and write good comments about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: I found all the Easter eggs in 2018!Microbadge: I found all the Easter eggs in 2019!
I can try that. I just discovered it this morning and got freaked out. I read about Geekbuddies in the "how to use BGG" section, but still don't quite understand how/when/why to use it and probably never will. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll go message my "stalker" now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, lampeter. I'll keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The geekbuddy feature is widely used here. It isn't stalking.

The most likely reason to make someone a geekbudy is because you like their game collection and assume that they have similar tastes. So you can compare games to see if your new buddy has liked something that you don't have.

I have 10 geekbuddies and I don't personally know any of them, nor do they know me.
----
Edit Geeze I type slow....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Roll 1d6 and consult the table below.*
badge
*If you encounter the squid in the desert, it is a flying squid.
Microbadge: My gods are older than your gods...Microbadge:  Microbadge: The Magic Blue Wishing Sofa: Making Your Dreams Come True(ish)!Microbadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: ...Your gods live underneath mine
Could be they added you because you have 68 game comments—the most valuable thing on this site!

I add people when I bump into a comment that resonates or is thoughtful (or merely entertaining) and then see that they have a bunch of comments. This way I get a grip of opinions every time I click on "GeekBuddy Analysis" on a game page.

PS. Keep on commenting! It's waaay more helpful than a context-free number rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Folding bicycle fanMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fanMicrobadge: Ukelele player
Without wishing to give you something else to worry about, I think it’s worth being aware that the main way of following a person without their consent on this site is to Subscribe to their posts. Unlike the Geekbuddy list, there’s no way to see who is subscribing to everything you post here.

Always worth bearing in mind that this is very much a public forum - but the rules against any harassing behaviour are very clear and I think well-enforced, so you do have recourse from the admins if you experience harassment from any user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey, Chris, funny you should mention the comments. Until a few weeks ago I had NO comments. I joined the Secret Santa exchange this year and was advised to add comments to my games so my "Santa" would have a good idea of the games and type of games I like and why, thus comments were born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
Why don't you just tell me what game you want to play.
Microbadge: Lost Cities fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Hockey fan
There are BGG Admins that you can contact to mediate the situation if indeed it is assessed as being inappropriate.

Just my opinion, but I'd try to keep an open mind though. Maybe the person clicked inadvertently, is unfamiliar what a GeekBuddy entails, is unfamiliar with subscribing, etc. Lots of possibilities. You should contact the person directly.

If I'm walking down the street and I pass you by and look at you, am I stalking you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Peanuts fanMicrobadge: Valkyria Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Stargate fanMicrobadge: Final Fantasy Tactics fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Girl and a Boy
GeekBuddies is one of my favorite features of BGG. As others have said, you can add people with similar gaming tastes so that you can see their ratings and comments on games more easily. Most of my GeekBuddies are people I don't know and I don't stalk them at all. As I look up games, I add people who have valuable (to me) comments on why they did or didn't like a game. So the first I do when I look up a game is click on "GeekBuddy Analysis" to see if any of them played the game.

I've added some well-known reviewers like Tom Vasel, Zee Garcia, and Rahdo, but also a lot of regular gamers. It's a lot more useful than the BGG-wide game rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Yoga fan
I think you've formed an incorrect impression of what being a Geek buddy means. Sometimes people do use it because they're friends with that person, but mostly people use it when they think someone has interesting things to say, similar tastes in games etc. A particularly common is in order to use the Geekbuddy analysis tool, that you can find at the top of every game page. Some people find this tool to me much more useful than looking at a game's ratings or comments - but it won't work if you've not added anyone to your geekbuddy list (and you add people that have similar taste in game to yourself).

I have no idea who a lot of the people on my Geekbuddy list are - but it's never even slightly occurred to me that they're stalking me, I'm just complemented that they thought there was something I did that made them decide to Geekbuddy me!

Another possibility is that your Santa might have decided to Geekbuddy you, so they can see what you're up to on the Geek, and get more ideas on how to surprise you - it would be a tragedy if you misinterpreted their efforts as inappropriate stalking!

Edit: I just checked mine. I'm on 36 people's geekbuddy lists, and at least half of those are people I don't think I've ever seen post anything, let alone have nay direct dealings with me. Perhaps think of it as just like someone following you on Instagram etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reminder, James. Actually, an unknown person reading (or subscribing to) my posts is less worrisome because the posts are public. I know when I comment in a forum that others will read what I've written and I'm always nice, because that's the way I am. But a stranger adding me as a Geekbuddy still feels creepy and private. (BTW, y'all, I'm so far down the food chain of BGG as far as posts and participation goes, that I'm definitely not worth following in any way, but that's fine with me. I'm just one of the lurkers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Yoga fan
ppollock wrote:
There are BGG Admins that you can contact to mediate the situation if indeed it is assessed as being inappropriate.

Just my opinion, but I'd try to keep an open mind though. Maybe the person clicked inadvertently, is unfamiliar what a GeekBuddy entails, is unfamiliar with subscribing, etc. Lots of possibilities. You should contact the person directly.

If I'm walking down the street and I pass you by and look at you, am I stalking you?

If all they've done is add someone as a Geekbuddy it would be really weird to contact them and ask them why.

I also see absolutely no need to contact admins - most people who post on BGG will end up with Geekbuddies that they've never had any direct dealings with - that's exactly what the admins expect to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, Parry. I appreciate your response. I messaged the person and will hope for a reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, Daniel. You pointed out yet another feature of BGG that I'm unfamiliar with. Told you I was clueless. With no Geekbuddies of my own, that feature won't be useful, but maybe I'll add Zee Garcia. He likes lighter games, as do I. (He plays much heavier games, too, but I always appreciate hearing his reviews of the lighter games.) Live and learn, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, Kim. I did wonder if maybe it was my Santa, but the person doesn't have the Secret Santa microbadge, so that theory went out the window.

My goodness, I have no intention of contacting admins. Of course, there is that recourse when problems occur, but there is no problem here. Just a clueless lurker in an unfamiliar spot and an unexplained "buddy" who is actually a stranger. I did message the person and nicely ask him/her to remove me as a Geekbuddy since I was uncomfortable having been added by a stranger. I think that is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dauncey
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: I get surprise boxes from KickstarterMicrobadge: Always room for 1 more gameMicrobadge: Forces others to play boardgamesMicrobadge: Dice Hate Me
DoMBat wrote:
Hey, Chris, funny you should mention the comments. Until a few weeks ago I had NO comments. I joined the Secret Santa exchange this year and was advised to add comments to my games so my "Santa" would have a good idea of the games and type of games I like and why, thus comments were born.
Is it a possibility that it is your Santa that has geekbuddied you? I know some of the Santa’s like to find out what their santee is into by following their posts on this forum...

Ninja’d by you ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for the helpful information and suggestions, and for chatting! I really appreciate the interaction.

I'd better go get in some exercise. Heading to the movies this afternoon to see the second Fantastic Beasts movie. A movie and cheesecake (!) at the Cheesecake Factory has become a family tradition for my birthday. After all, at my age, who needs presents? Just a movie we'll all enjoy and CHEESECAKE! My once a year fix.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hey, Graham, thanks for the thought, but without the microbadge, I don't think the person can be my Santa. I wonder who is, though. Is it you? (ha, ha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
Why don't you just tell me what game you want to play.
Microbadge: Lost Cities fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Hockey fan
entwife wrote:
[q="ppollock"]There are BGG Admins that you can contact to mediate the situation if indeed it is assessed as being inappropriate.

entwife wrote:
If all they've done is add someone as a Geekbuddy it would be really weird to contact them and ask them why.
I completely agree, but the OP seems quite concerned with it, so I mentioned it as a suggestion.

entwife wrote:
I also see absolutely no need to contact admins - most people who post on BGG will end up with Geekbuddies that they've never had any direct dealings with - that's exactly what the admins expect to happen.
Again completely agree. Just thought I'd mention this option as the OP seems quite concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Abstract fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Modern abstract games fanMicrobadge: Vegan
It really does not mean anything sinister! It's certainly not stalking.

Please see the BGG wiki page Geekbuddy for more info.

E.g. via the handy third party tool http://www.korttipeliopas.fi/bgg/correlation.php you can find other BGG users whose taste in games is similar to yours (based on your ratings and their ratings being similar). Adding them as geekbuddies is then often very useful, since at every game page you can click the link "Geekbuddy analysis" to see what people with similar taste as you have written about the game and how they rate it. I used that tool to add a few dozen geekbuddies whom I don't know in real life at all, but whose game tastes are similar to mine, and this has often given me a quick way to get a feel for whether it's worth my time to read more about a given game I might be interested in. Note that this is an intentional useful feature of BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Copper File UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
All this maybe shows that the name Geekbuddy is confusing? It does sound like friending on facebook, whereas it is very different from that. Not sure I have a perfect suggestion for a better name (perhaps a watchlist) but something could be definitely considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Bateman
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks to all. Concerns assuaged. Please believe that I have NO intention of contacting admins.

Thanks for the info., Russ. Very helpful!

Borsook, I agree about the term "Geekbuddy," but I suppose we'll have to live with it.

Bye, all! The treadmill awaits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just added you as a Geekbuddy.

I luvs me some small mammal avatars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |