Hide
5 Posts

Cthulhu Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Cthulhu Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Andre-Driussi
msg tools
Two sessions of the old Japanese card game, Cthulhu Horror.

Players for the first session are M, L, C, and A.

In cards for initial hands, L gets the Ancient Book "Al Azif," and puts it down on the table.

A: draws event--Miskatonic expedition to antarctica finds City of Old Ones! Puts character Galico on the case to solve event.

L: puts character Aero on the case.

C: plays monster Deep Ones on M (to prevent M from probably solving the case).

M: plays monster Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath on A (to prevent A from probably solving the case).

A: plays monster Shantacks on L (to prevent...you get the picture).

L: plays character Updike with Flute of Leng, kills Shantacks.

C: plays character Watkins on Event. Still not solved!

M: plays monster Cthonians on C.

A: plays monster Blind Thing on L.

L: plays Event--shipwrecked survivors reach Dagon's Island...Watkins, Aero, and Galico go to Mental Hospital!

C: plays character Bourdoux on Cthonians. Passes Fright Check. Uses shotgun--barely misses!

M: draws Event--Pnakotus, prehistoric city of Great Ones...Event stack now at 50 points!

A: draws Event--U-Boat discovers temple of Atlantis!

L: plays character MacNally vs. Blind Thing. Passes Fright Check. Uses Elder Sign--success!

C: draws Event--worldwide earthquakes!

M: draws Event--avante-garde artists have the same nightmare!

A: plays monster Spawn of Cthulhu on L.

L: draws Event--ancient subterranean town of Ha bugs!

C: draws Event--zombies kill seventeen in Arkham!

M: draws Event--Derby's poetry book published! Event stack now at 90 points!

A: draws Event--worship of evil deities in New Mexico!

L: draws Event--Herbert West tries to reanimate the dead!

AWAKENING OF DEMON!

ITHAQUA RULES THE WORLD WITHOUT A FIGHT!

(Commentary: that first event was worth a whopping 30 points, and the players fought over it for the victory points, thus they didn't allow anyone to solve it. This provided a quick foundation for the 100 points needed for the demon to awaken. Lack of cooperation and a run of Events allowed the demon to win.)

>>Second Session (M, L, and C)

M: has Book of Eibon. Gets R'lyeh Text--nice!

L: draws Event--Pnakotus, prehistoric city of Great Ones!

C: plays monster Hydra on M.

M: pass.

L: draws Al Azif.

C: uses character Carol to solve Pnakotus.

M: plays Event from hand--crossbreeding in Innsmouth!

L: plays character McTie on Innsmouth.

C: plays monster Deep Ones on L.

M: draws Necronomicon--the paradox of having half the library is that the chance of doom goes up!

L: plays character Lawson vs. Deep Ones. Passes Fright Test. Kills with bare knuckles. Use Reanimator to get him back!

C: plays monster Byakhees on L.

M: plays character Williamson on Hydra. Passes Fright Test. Uses R'lyeh Text and a shotgun. Success!

L: plays Event from hand--weird birth in Dunwich! Plays character Lawson on Byakhees. Passes Fright Test. Uses Elder Sign to aid attack--success!

C: plays monster Dagon on M (!!).

M: plays character Sandy on Dagon. Fails Fright, goes to Mental Hospital.

L: uses character Gunnarson on Event.

C: plays monster Sky Demon on L (front runner).

M: plays monster Spawn of Cthulhu on C.

L: plays character Updike on Sky Demon. Passes Fright Test. Uses Elder Sign--success!

C: uses character Irving on Spawn of Cthulhu. Fails Fright--insane!

M: plays Event from hand--reanimated zombies in Arkham!

L: draws Event--Ha bugs!

C: plays character Cheryl on Spawn of Cthulhu. Passes Fright Test! Shotgun attack fails!

M: plays character Mills on Dagon. Fails Fright!

L: draws Event--worldwide earthquakes!

C: passes.

M: plays monster Mi-Go on L.

L: plays character Larson on Mi-Go. Passes Fright! Kills Mi-go!

C: plays monster Shoggoths on L.

M: discards monster Hounds of Tindalos.

L: draws Event--Amos Piper possessed!

C: Event from hand--Mountains of Madness! Event stack now at 60 points!

M: plays character Sherman vs. Dagon. Pass Fright. Uses dynamite and Necronomicon to attack. Success!

L: draws Event--scary secret of the Delaphor House.

C: draws Event--Nylahothoth appears and disappears at locations around the world! Event stack at 85 points!

M: draws Event--Seal of Azathoth broken!

APOCALYPSE!

CTHUGA ARISES!

L: MacNally vs Cthuga, Earth's best hope (since L has Al Azif). Fail Fright! So sad.

C: hopeless. Carver and Orendorff fail Fright Test. Dr. Peabody and Fowler pass, but don't have the Items that would give enough strength to kill Cthuga.

M: who once had half the library (three books), at end game tragically has only the one Ancient Book that nullifies attacks against Cthuga--cannot attack!

CTHUGA REIGNS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks cool.... I guess there's no hope that there was an English translation done (officially or unofficially)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andre-Driussi
msg tools
There IS hope! I've uploaded an unofficial English translation that is presumably working its way through. Please watch for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bless you sir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, 10 years after you wrote these lines, I'm trying to make paste-ups for the Event (or Bizarre Case) cards.
Now, I read through your session reports, and I was wondering what the following 3 Events might be?

- Pnakotus
- Mountains of Madness
- Amos Piper possessed

I'm pretty sure that my set is complete. I have 24 Event cards, but none of the 3 above.

By the way, the one you translated as "Ha bugs" (は虫類), actually means reptilians - originally written as 爬虫類.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.