GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,873 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pax Romana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Garrisons.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got through playing Scenario 2 solo. Lots of fun. Carthage got a lucky sneak attack into Rome and razed it (how do I acheive a sneak attack against myself? I have no idea, but it was legit.)

I did have a question to see if I am playing it correctly.

Lets say I have a Leader and oh, two legions in a space. It is coming close to the end of my turn, and I want to gain control of the province (how about a 5-space province) they are in. Let's assume there are no tribes, no enemy units around to get in the way, just clear spaces. Oh, and no other units available to move into the province.

How many or what kinds of moves would be needed to split units/move around to gain control?

Thanks ahead of time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a home provincee of another power, then you have to control 3 spaces of the province - by occupying them with your units (even garrisons).

If it is your home province, you control it as long as no other power controls 3 spaces.

If it is a non-home province of any power, then you already control it by occupying one space.

Most efficient mechanism to control it is this. In your major move, spend 1 MP to breakdown and LI and then drop one off in each adjacent space.

Here is an example:

Suppose you are playing Greece and have a 2-4 leader with 2 LG and roll a 3 on the die. You would have 7 MP. Now let's say you want to control Bruttium. It has five spaces Rhegium, Paestum, Tarentum, Brundisium, and Croton. Let's say you activate in Rhegium.

Spend 1 MP to transform a LG into 3 Garrisons. Now you have a 2-4 leader with 1 LG and 3 Garrisons.

Leave a garrsion behind and move to Croton. Now you have used 2 MP.

Leave a garrison behind and move to Paestum. Now you have used 3 MP and control Bruttium. You have a 2-4 leader with 1 LG and 1 garrison in Paestum.

Note that your control is valid even if Rome has a city in Tarentum or 20 LG in Brundisium, because you have a garrison in Croton and Rhegium and your forces in Peastum.

If you were Rome and no other player has control of more than two spaces in Bruttium then you already control the province.

For the province of Noricum, a single garrison in the space of Ovilava controls the province if no other unit is present in the province.

Got it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you very much. I was confused as to whether you could break a unit into garrisons AND move on the same activation. You have clarified that.

I also see that I read the rules wrong about control of a non-home, non-enemy controlled province. I thought you still needed to control half the spaces. Needing only one for control changes things considerably!!!

Thank you Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
starkeyboy
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Got it?

I have not played Pax Romana, seen it played, or even read the rules and I got it. Nicely answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! It's a pleasure. I love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.