flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
At www.funagain.com on 6/20/04:

By special agreement with designer Richard Borg, you'll get "Sword Beach," an extra-special double-board Overlord Scenario FREE when you order Memoir '44 today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Funagain Special!
chaddyboy_2000 (#36742),

Sorry, the date for that is of course 5/20/04, not 6/20/04

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming "double-board" means that you need to have two copies of the game to utilize the "Overlord scenario"? I'm also assuming that a "scenario" is nothing more than a piece of paper that lists the set-up and the victory conditions? Anyone have a line on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 (#36806),
yes, two boxes are required to play Overlord scenarios. And yes, they are a one page description of a given historical battle with the special rules and set up conditions (like the ones included with the game itself).
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich (#36820),

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. This game looks great, though I'm not sure it's worth paying more to preorder from funagain just for a scenario that I'll probably never play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich (#36820),

Well that's kind of lame then. It sounded like an extra board from the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 (#36865),

This game looks so good that I might actually be tempted to buy another copy (All of the DOW games that I've seen are beautifully produced and well worth the money). Maybe with the money I'll save by not pre-ordering from Funagain, I'll actually be able to afford a 2nd copy. ...but then I won't have the Overlord scenario....argh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards and Bits has Pre-order for 34.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 (#36865),

This game looks so good that I might actually be tempted to buy another copy

I see alot of people griping about needing two sets to play Overlord scenarios. Aren't you going to play this with other people? Won't some of them have their own copy? ???
I know, I know; some people really only play with their own families, but......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teaguewebb (#36971),

I'm not really griping about having to buy two copies....I may very well do just that if the game is as good as it looks (I've been very impressed with the DOW games so far). My only beef is having to pre-oder the game from Funagain at an inflated price (as compared to other on-line stores)to be able to recieve the scenario. It seems like this should be a free download (PDF) or something (maybe free if you buy a 2nd copy?). Why should a game company support just one on-line store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 (#36977),

Jim,

The Overlord Scenario that Funagain is giving out was done through an arrangement between Richard Borg and Funagain. He's friends with some of the folks there. Other than give our approval we didn't really have anything to do with it.

There will be many more standard and Overlord scenario's made available in various ways... our website will be a primary source for them, but we will have special scenarios that may be available elsewhere only in limited fashion.

For example, we're publishing a scenario in Game Trade Magazine, which primarily goes to Hobby Game stores. We're also sending copies of an exclusive scenario to retailers who pre-order copies of Memoir '44.

These are simply ways that we can reach out to more people to promote the game. It's not our intention to support just one store.

Mark
mark@daysofwonder.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 (#36977),
Incidentally, there is going to be something substantially bigger than one scenario, available for free to all people who end up buying two copies of Memoir '44. Just a few more days/weeks, that we get the final web site up and running, and it will make sense .
As for scenarios, I will also try and compile an up-to-date list of the sources for various scenarii (both English _and_ French).
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric / Mark,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to give M'44 a try. Do you know if there be any copies for sale at Kublacon next week?

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 (#37116),

Jim,
In retrospect, I probably should have quoted someone else whose comment had more of the actual griping I was talking about. I was just looking for a quote to lead into my comment and grabbed the first one I saw on topic. Once I re-read your whole comment, its clear you aren't one of "those guys" I was talking about.
I may have recently lost my newbie badge, but I'm still getting the hang of getting my point across using only typed words and little faces. I hope all the nice folks here will keep being patient with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teaguewebb (#37181),

No worries. It seems I was also mistaken in that it isn't DOW who are sponsoring the Funagain promotion. Rather, as Mark explained above, the designer of the game has struck some kind of deal with Funagain. In any event, I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play the game this weekend (hopefully).

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 (#37235),
Jim, I don't know re- for sale copies yet, but for sure you will have a chance to play it (and its larger, Overlord incarnation) if you go to Kublacon.
best,
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fairness to Funagain Games, they sometimes have a lower price games, sometimes not. I think it's fair to say that with the growing competition for the German games market, everyone is constantly trying to undercut the other. Funagain even alludes to this in their price-matching policy -- which is why they price-match.

They don't INFLATE their prices, they simply didn't lower it as much as a few other internet retailers.

Just 2c,

Y'y

jim.brooks10 (#36977),

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
wait...so from funagain..the Sword Beach scenario will be included?? Is that good? help me out:0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.