Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to verify if I gor this right.
I already have 2 fire markers on the board. Hibernation and room 016.
According to the event ai have to place 7 additional markers (no closed doors). So the ship blows up immediately (9 fire).
This happened twice now, this time in Round 3.
Is it supposed to be a game-breaker or am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean the "Consuming Fire" event card (place 1 fire token in each connected room)?

Yes, you are playing it correctly.

Fire is Bad. Fire is very bad.
Only thing worse than fire is having a lava on your card.
And the only thing worse than having a lava on your card.. is fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffab wrote:
I assume you mean the "Consuming Fire" event card (place 1 fire token in each connected room)?

Yes, you are playing it correctly.

Fire is Bad. Fire is very bad.m
Only thing worse than fire is having a lava on your card.
And the only thing worse than having a lava on your card.. is fire.
Yes, consuming fire does the same. So there‘s at least 2 of those cards and they don‘t even get removed from the deck once resolved.

PS: and I assume fire is also placed in adjacent unexplored room... the text doesn‘t seem to make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lines42 wrote:
Just want to verify if I gor this right.
I already have 2 fire markers on the board. Hibernation and room 016.
According to the event ai have to place 7 additional markers (no closed doors). So the ship blows up immediately (9 fire).
This happened twice now, this time in Round 3.
Is it supposed to be a game-breaker or am I doing something wrong?

I keep counting it, but I'm only getting 8 fire markers that should be in the board in that scenario. Your not double stacking them are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don‘t have the board in front of me atm.
But hibernation has 4 adjacent rooms and the other one had 3 iirc.

Anyways... it‘s more about the built in possibility for the game to end after 2 rounds when players didn‘t even have any chance to react to it (didn‘t find fire extinguishers in time for examples).

I‘m in my second solo game and really like it so far.
But I cannot put this on the table with my group if there‘s this possibility... frustration and the feeling of being played by the game would be really high and they most likely won‘t want to try again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the board in front of me...
You start with 2 fire tokens - hybernation and room 16. Lets say you get spread to all adjacent rooms event and no closed doors..

Hybernation (1) spread to rooms 6 (2), room 14 (3), room 15 (4) and room 8 (thats 5 fire tokens)
then
Room 16 (thats 6 fire) spreads to room 12 (7 fire) and room 15 (8 fire) and finally to engine bay 21 (thats 9 fire)

KABOOM

If that happens - thats happens - reset and start again. And this time, as soon as fire hits, your group should leap into action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What action should we leap into?
How can you prevent this if you don‘t find an extinguisher in time?

I don‘t mind if it‘s forseeable and players have a chance of doing something instead of just watching.

I‘m really new to the game so I hope I‘m just missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
jaffab wrote:
I have the board in front of me...
You start with 2 fire tokens - hybernation and room 16. Lets say you get spread to all adjacent rooms event and no closed doors..

Hybernation (1) spread to rooms 6 (2), room 14 (3), room 15 (4) and room 8 (thats 5 fire tokens)
then
Room 16 (thats 6 fire) spreads to room 12 (7 fire) and room 15 (8 fire) and finally to engine bay 21 (thats 9 fire)

KABOOM

If that happens - thats happens - reset and start again. And this time, as soon as fire hits, your group should leap into action.

Your spreading to 15 2x which you don't do. So you are at 8 fire. I know it's nitpicking but there is still a chance to pull back from it and you didn't die yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True.
Replace room 16 with a different room with 3 adjacent rooms. It was an example.
I‘ll check when I get home and look at the board again.
If it‘s designed in a way that a bad draw cannot end the game within 2 rounds then kudos to the designers.

I just want to clarify that in general I like the game!

But these are situations that tend to happen the first time I introduce a game to my group (murphy)... and I want my group (and me of course) to enjoy the game and not having to reset because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lines42 wrote:
True.
Replace room 16 with a different room with 3 adjacent rooms. It was an example.
I‘ll check when I get home and look at the board again.
If it‘s designed in a way that a bad draw cannot end the game within 2 rounds then kudos to the designers.

I just want to clarify that in general I like the game!

But these are situations that tend to happen the first time I introduce a game to my group (murphy)... and I want my group (and me of course) to enjoy the game and not having to reset because of this.

I understand, and I apologize, I was not trying to come off snotty, I was just trying to figure out if an error was made. The game does sometimes have it out for you. I was playing on TTS got a larva, and before I coukd react or plan or anything, bam, eclosion gets drawn killing me. It's a 1/20 chance, but I was still pissed. The game executes its theme perfectly IMO and that's what keeps me coming back. Despite a few bad card draws or dice rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, no need to apologize.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake
Will play some more and figure out what more surprises the game has for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 player game last night, and at one point we had 3 fires, and I warned them if it spread we were dead - so we all rushed around either searching for a fire extinguisher or trying to find/get to the fire control system.

The game finished without the fire spreading out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We unfortunately just lost a 4 player co-op game to top drawing 2 Fire Event cards in a row.

Fire is very bad.

Thematically I don't have an issue with this, it's a bastard game and designed to be hard, but in the interests of fun, I may well add a house rule for co-op at least, when we run out of fire tokens.

Instead of blowing up ship immediately, set the self-destruct marker to 3 (i.e. can't be turned off).

That way the ship is "blowing up" and we have 3 turns to try and reach an escape pod.

I may well design/add a score-tracker, so you can tally up how many objectives you completedd as a group, adding additional victory points for number of survivors, eggs stolen, etc... Would make repeat sessions of co-op (which we tend to do as family), more enjoyable/add longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it got me worried, because it happened in my first 3 games. After playing some more, I found that there can be games without fire danger at all. Still I don´t want (can afford) this to happen in a game with my group.

My current houserule is this:
Fire only spreads in explored rooms.

This way the impact of these cards ramp up during the course of the game, when more and more rooms are explored.

Also when this comes up the first time (for new players) they´ll be warned. So here´s a fire spreads card, it didn´t cause much harm, but be aware this will be shuffled back into the deck, so better take care before it shows up next time.

Less of a draw-card-oh-surprise-you-lost situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Yeah, it got me worried, because it happened in my first 3 games. After playing some more, I found that there can be games without fire danger at all. Still I don´t want (can afford) this to happen in a game with my group.

My current houserule is this:

This way the impact of these cards ramp up during the course of the game, when more and more rooms are explored.

Also when this comes up the first time (for new players) they´ll be warned. So here´s a fire spreads card, it didn´t cause much harm, but be aware this will be shuffled back into the deck, so better take care before it shows up next time.

Less of a draw-card-oh-surprise-you-lost situation.

The other house option for your group is of course to remove one of the Fire spread cards before starting, reducing the chance of top drawing insta fire death drastically (there are still cards which cause a reshuffle, but still).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Healey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game one Consuming fire event one events reshuffle consuming fire two Kaboom! Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisHealey wrote:
Game one Consuming fire event one events reshuffle consuming fire two Kaboom! Lol
Wow... that‘s my biggest fear when bringing the game to the table with new players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to house rule that you redraw the event card if you get two fire events in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wpflug13 wrote:
I'm inclined to house rule that you redraw the event card if you get two fire events in s row.
Good idea, or otherwise, just restart your game 😊

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wpflug13 wrote:
I'm inclined to house rule that you redraw the event card if you get two fire events in a row.
At the moment I‘m trying:
(See couple of mails above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Hello,

yes, it is possible that ship blows up very early in the game because of fire spreading. You can do a few things to counteract on this though. Each room may have only 1 fire marker.

Best Regards,
AR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaroslav Fabian
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just happened to me as well and could't believe how punishing this event is.
Solo game and I stood quite decently in this play until...

I had two fire tokens already present on the board. Hibernatorium was one of them (flammable compound event in round 3 or so). Then round 6 - Damaging Fire and round 7 - Consuming Fire.

Even with a single fire token on the board, it can happen that the game ends in 2 rounds and there is no way to stop it. For solo game it is downright impossible. Should I hoard the fire extinguishers from the very beginning and run around the ship putting off fire to have at least a decent chance of winning? I mean, this game is not a fire fighting simulator, or is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Vunter wrote:
Just happened to me as well and could't believe how punishing this event is.
Solo game and I stood quite decently in this play until...

I had two fire tokens already present on the board. Hibernatorium was one of them (flammable compound event in round 3 or so). Then round 6 - Damaging Fire and round 7 - Consuming Fire.

Even with a single fire token on the board, it can happen that the game ends in 2 rounds and there is no way to stop it. For solo game it is downright impossible. Should I hoard the fire extinguishers from the very beginning and run around the ship putting off fire to have at least a decent chance of winning? I mean, this game is not a fire fighting simulator, or is it?

I've had the events cards end the game quickly, and I've had them have barely any effect without much intervention from the players. It depends on exploration tokens and if the events happen back to back (rare, but possible) it's just something to keep in mind with the game, is there an over emphasis on fire? No but you can't ignore it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Much depends on which rooms are in fire. Some have just two corridors connected - fire spreading from 2 such rooms means adding 4 Fire tokens, making it total of 6 fires on board and 2 "to spare".
Other rooms, like Hibernatorium, have 4 corridors connected, and fire spreading from 2 such rooms means adding 8 Fire tokens ---> BOOM, end of the game. That's why fires in such rooms should be put down or isolated ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire is bad. Fire is very bad. But easy to control....
1) Find a fire extinguisher and put out the fires
2) Find the fire control room
3) Find the door room and close all the doors
4) Find the Airlock control and close all doors

If you ignore the fire, you will die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls