Mordred» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens if players can't add their pieces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The rules say that when spending your money and placing a piece, you must place it either on one of the black-bordered squares on the border, or on an empty square connected to a player's piece.

What happens if all black-bordered squares are occupied by Mordred pieces, and either all players' pieces have been removed from the board or all players' pieces are surrounded by Mordred pieces and so have no empty adjacent squares?

The end game hasn't been triggered, yet there is no way for anyone to add one of their pieces to the board.

Assuming I'm not missing anything in the rules, my instinct is to say that this situation triggers the end of the game, with Mordred having won, so the player furthest up the Mordred track is declared the winner.

OK, this is an extreme situation, but in a very aggressive game yesterday, we came very, very close to this happening, but the rules don't cover the case. We had 2 player pieces left on the board, with a total of one adjacent empty space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no requirement to actually spend your money on any given turn so if you did get to this extreme situation for one player then that player can simply sit on their cash and hope that options open up next turn.

If none of the players have setlements on the board and Mordred owns all the black spaces I can't see how Mordred will not win the game.

Hope that helps

Hammy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
It did help! It reminded me that options could open up if pieces were merely surrounded and someone with a piece on the board successfully attacked Mordred.

But there wouldn't be any chance of options opening up if all player pieces were removed from the board. As you say, Mordred will win the game - I think you might as well call it as soon as no player piece is on the board rather than require players to continue taking turns to trigger the end-game, so I'll just regard this unusual situation as a fifth end-game condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
As you say, this is an extreme case. Usually if Mordred is doing this well one player be very close to falling off of the end of the Mordred track, (I'm hoping you have remembered to track Mordred points).

It is possible to replace pieces with more expensive ones, so you could replace a village with a castle and then try to make some room for yourself.

I would say that if Mordred did occupy all of the black-bordered spaces AND eliminated all of the player pieces from the map then the game should end with a Mordred victory, which would mean that the individual winner would be the player with the lowest Mordred point score.

Hope that helps

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Martin. We were moving pawns along the "axis of evil".

I think we all started on row C, rolled low numbers, leaving us cash-poor, and the Mordred pieces came thundering down the border, swallowing those black-bordered squares, and new Mordred pieces were wherever possible attacking player pieces, with alarming success. From the outset, Mordred had the upper hand.

It was fun, though a bit more of a bloodbath than our first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.