Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some talk here recently about starting up a BGG league, so I thought I'd mention my own, since a few openings have sprung up. It's a totally free league, no dollars to enter, no geek gold to give, there aren't even any ads on the web pages.

Our league has been running for close to 20 years now, and it's quite a bit different than any other fantasy league I've ever run across. None of this "make your picks in September, see how you did once April rolls around" stuff. Our league requires making decisions every few days or so.

The league is head to head, based on actual NHL stats, with 22 matches in the regular season, then 3 rounds of playoffs after that, if you're good enough. Each owner keeps 5 NHL players from last season, and drafts 15 new at the beginning of the season. From that 20 man roster, 8 or 10 players are chosen for each match against another owner.

The challenging part is that not only must you choose which players to name, but you also have to choose *which* of his games will count towards your score. Since matches take about a week, typically the player will be playing in 2 or 3 NHL games during that time. So for each player, you'll have a decision such as "Do I name X on the road against New York, or at home against Pittsburgh?", etc. If you choose Pittsburgh, and the player scores 3 goals against New York, those points are lost forever.

Lest folks think this is complicated, rest assured it's not. I've spent years developing a web based system, where all you have to do is click on the players and days you want in a web form, and click Submit. The system keeps track of all your players, the scores, the schedules, the standings, etc.

How much of your time will it take? That's really up to you. There's a live draft at the end of September that takes about 3 hours. After that, theoretically you could submit an entire season's worth of rosters in a few minutes, and never spend another minute on it.

But frankly, you wouldn't do very well. Players get injured, go through slumps, etc. You'll want to release lame ducks you drafted, and claim hot players who were overlooked. And you'll want to claim them before someone else does. At a minimum, you should expect to log into the web pages once or twice a week, check your rosters, view the stats and charts, read the message bases and post to ongoing discussions, etc. It doesn't take a lot of time, just a few minutes here and there really. But it's the consistency that counts. An owner that spends 10 minutes three times a week will do better than one who spends 30 minutes once a week.

Ideally, I'm looking for talkative folks, we've lost some of our more talkative members in the last few years, and the league is more interesting for everyone when lots of chatter is going on.

If you're interested, anyone can visit the web pages at http://www.ucfhl.com/ and log in with the username demo2007 and the password demo and check it out. You can see the rosters, results and scores from last season still, they won't be erased for a week or so. You can read the rules to see how scoring is counted, etc. You will definitely want to know how the scoring is done before the draft, because that will *severely* affect how you make up your draft list. Note that no draft lists are provided, each owner is expected to make up their own lists.

To confirm that you are interested, folks can leave me a private message, and I'll add them to the wait list. At this point, we have 2 confirmed openings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooookay, let's call the response a bit underwhelming. At least there are 14 views now, for the entire first day it was stuck on 0 views.

Obviously, I over-estimated the intelligence level of the crowd here, and my league is a bit too sophisticated for board gamers, who all seem to prefer the simplistic pool style. laugh

Anyway, the deadline is fast approaching, so don't hesitate to PM me if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Oooookay, let's call the response a bit underwhelming. At least there are 14 views now, for the entire first day it was stuck on 0 views.

Obviously, I over-estimated the intelligence level of the crowd here, and my league is a bit too sophisticated for board gamers, who all seem to prefer the simplistic pool style. laugh

Anyway, the deadline is fast approaching, so don't hesitate to PM me if you're interested.

A zillion (ok 3 or 4) different leagues sprang up before yours. But if you keep up with the sweet talk I'm sure you could convince nobody else to join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reply? They like me, they really like me!

Ah, I only saw the one league, if there were multiples that would certainly make it more difficult. I was hoping to pick up some leftovers from those who weren't interested in that kind of league, and were looking for something different, a little more complex and with a higher strategy quotient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
A reply? They like me, they really like me!

Ah, I only saw the one league, if there were multiples that would certainly make it more difficult. I was hoping to pick up some leftovers from those who weren't interested in that kind of league, and were looking for something different, a little more complex and with a higher strategy quotient.

Well, you might post over in the fantasy players guild as well, see if anyone there who does not hang out in chit chat might be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't even know there was such a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't think to put the link in, I assume you've found it but in case not:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/355

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more spot available. Major deadline coming up Sunday night, so speed is of the essence.

Don't let a chance of a lifetime pass you by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.