Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael's has some nice deals this week on some do-it-yourself supplies. I believe it runs until 9/22. I saw:

- Foamcore (20x30 white) for $0.98 (regularly $2.97)
- Xyron 900 cold laminator for 40% off (~$72)
- All Xyron 900 cartridges 40% off

In addition, they had 25% off all open stock brushes. I've never been able to find suitable brushes for miniatures painting, but YMMV.

The 40% off the Xyron was actually not a deal for me, since my local paper had a 50% off any one item coupon. Unfortunately, it's not valid on sale items, so I was stuck paying 40% off the Xyron instead of 50% off. The extra $12 was worth getting it now rather than waiting a week or two for it to go off sale.

I just took the plunge on my first DIY project - a homemade copy of 18AL. I've printed all the components, and will mount them on either matboard or illustration board this week. Then I'll make a pass through the Xyron laminator and start cutting. I tried the Xyron on some homemade Wallenstein cards last night, and I am very impressed! The cards are a little too flimsy to be shuffled, but the lamination is very nice. It shows no signs of fraying at the edges, even though I laminated the entire sheet and cut it up into the cards. No seems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just took the plunge on my first DIY project - a homemade copy of 18AL.

Sweet! Post pictures when you're done!

I think the Xyron deal is going on at most craft stores, or at least it was here at both Joanne's and AC Moore last time I bought mine.

If you're doing playing cards, I suggest printing them on regular cardstock and then laminating (don't print on paper and then mount to anything since it will end up way too thick). Laminated cardstock gives a nice result.

For tiles/counters, print to paper and then glue (I use spray glue with great results) and mount to some kind of board as mentioned. Matte board is good, but a bit pricey (though there aren't a lot of good alternatives at your average craft store). A better solution is single ply chipboard (also called boxboard), which is the plain gray or brown board stock used for most game components. It's way cheaper than matte board (though only usually available at art stores). One other thing, you may want to glue paper onto the back for larger pieces (this will keep the piece from warping...think Duel of Ages boards).

Xyron makes a good (though a bit pricey) laminate for general gaming supplies. The main problem with cold laminates (like Xyron) is that the edges tend to be slightly tacky. Probably not a big deal, and a TON easier to apply than hot laminates (and easier to find).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Are their different finishes of laminate? If not, what is the finish like? The laminate I remember seeing (YEARS ago) was super glossy, but bumpy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiskNY wrote:
The main problem with cold laminates (like Xyron) is that the edges tend to be slightly tacky. Probably not a big deal, and a TON easier to apply than hot laminates (and easier to find).

...and unlike hot laminates, you don't need to leave an edge of excess around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KaneBlaireau wrote:
Are their different finishes of laminate? If not, what is the finish like? The laminate I remember seeing (YEARS ago) was super glossy, but bumpy.

The Xyron cranks the adhesive laminate (or whatever material you choose, such as repositionable adhesive) through a pair of rollers, so the only way you get bumps is if you badly misalign the card stock, such that it comes out the side as it goes through the rollers. Not that I've ever made that mistake.... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know if bumpy was the right word. It was a textured, rough yet glossy finish. So are their multiple finishes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are different rolls of laminate, adhesive, and such that you can use. I'm not sure that there are different "finishes" of laminate, though. My results are glossy and smooth, adding a little bit (less than 1mm) thickness to the thing being laminated. I like the feel of 110 pound paper run through the Xyron lamination. I have a 510, and I'm a bit tempted by the 900 at this price. For what it's worth, Xyron seems to "encode" the maximum lamination width in the product number, because the 510 can laminate approximately 5.1" wide. I believe the 900 is a 9" width, so you can run printed paper through without having to cut it first! Woohoo! Of course, with a Carl RT-200 rotary trimmer, cutting is a rather easy and precise task (as long as you remember to put pressure on both ends of the stabilizing bar). At $25, it is far better than much more expensive guillotine paper-cutters. So, I may succeed in talking myself out of this commodity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a slightly better deal, since it includes a free cartridge. Course, shipping might make it a wash.

This is tempting, partially because I'm looking at making a copy of 18AL and 18GA, but also because I would like to get my Betrayal haunt sheets laminated. I need to keep an eye out to see if AC Moore is distributing 50% off one item stuff in their flyers.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Anderson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like refills on the laminating material are about $30 for 50 feet. Is there a cheaper solution out there if the only function we need is laminating? Or, is there a cheap source for the laminating refills? I don't need the sticker making or magnet making functionality, and I hate to pay over .50 cents per sheet to laminate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
...and unlike hot laminates, you don't need to leave an edge of excess around it.

Not so with hot laminates either. The plastic itself has a layer of adhesive that melts and bonds to the laminated surface, no need to leave any excess around it. I've done thousands of pieces with no problems,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KaneBlaireau wrote:

The Xyron finish is glossy with slight if any texture to it (no real texture to speak of). All the other rolls offer different mounting options (sticker, magnet) for crafts, not different finishes or thicknesses of laminate.

The thickness is 2.8 mil or so (which is .0028"), and is slightly less than the typical hot laminate (3 mil), but thicker than the more professional grade hot laminates (1.5 mil, also available in a matte finish). The 1.5 mil laminated card stock is only slightly thicker than the average playing card. A Xyron laminated carstock will be about 50% thicker, but still very usable for cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, depending on how much laminating you are doing, you can get full size paper sheets hot laminated at places like Officemax for a minimal charge. If you will be doing a lot of laminating though, it would probably be more cost effective to buy your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uwsublime wrote:
It looks like refills on the laminating material are about $30 for 50 feet. Is there a cheaper solution out there if the only function we need is laminating? Or, is there a cheap source for the laminating refills? I don't need the sticker making or magnet making functionality, and I hate to pay over .50 cents per sheet to laminate.

From what I hear, Michael's routinely has a 40% off coupon in your local paper. This means you could get the cartridge refills for about $20 plus tax for $50 feet. Not a bad deal, even if it requires a coupon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staples has the Xyron EZ cold laminating machine for $49.99. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the 900. Also, I'm not sure if I'm too hot on cold laminating machines. I usually drop 8 bucks at Kinko's for laminating player aids for two new games. That's 24 games before I start making my money back and I doubt the laminate is as professional.

I guess I'd laminate a lot more though if I had my own.

http://www.staples.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Please don't tempt me! I have too much "hobby stuff" as it is. I would be interested in learning what advantages a home machine has over having it done at a copy shop.

WowSum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.