Danny Nichols
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have developed a system to convert your rulebook into an Alexa/Google application, so you can a more interactive experience with rules rather than digging around, trying to find the right section.

I've done all the software development for you, so this is a no-code solution (other than customizing what Alexa says, based upon your preferences). You just create a template file with all the rules you want to program into Alexa, and then my website converts that to code. Then head over to Amazon's site and paste it in, and voila - your rules are now interactive!

If your user has a phone or tablet, you can also include graphics and long-form text with even more info. Here's a sample of what type of experience people can have:

So check it out, and let me know what you think. I'd love to see what the community creates out of this idea. Possibly solo bots, chit pull replacement systems, the sky's the limit. Instructions start here, and I'd love to assist if you have any questions or encounter issues:

• [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome. I would love to try it. Not sure how to make a template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the template?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Nichols
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Elder wrote:
Where is the template?

You create the template yourself. Here's a sample one you can use with only one rule:

!AirCombat
what turn can I do air combat
rules on air combat
=Air combat starts on turn five. Damage is based upon how many units are in the hex, and the loser gives up five victory points

Now you'd ask Alexa "what are rules on air combat?", and she'll tell you the rule!

I'm taking a few days off of this project, then coming back and creating a ton of rule bots for various games. I'll have 20+ sample templates you can peek at linked on the web page soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds brilliant - will investigate further

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems amazing. I would love to see a site/wiki-/like resource where we could share templates. Perhaps even a GeekList would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Kill
United Kingdom
Broadstone
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting. The video on how to do it relates to Alexa. How does it vary for Google? Will you be producing a separate video for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm all for anything that reduces the countless threads cluttering the forums with rules questions clearly answered in the rule book! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Alexander
msg tools
mb
That is fascinating and impressive. It has the uncanny feeling of science fiction becoming real.

Btw, what's the first game, w/German and French forces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McIlhargey
United States
Commercial Point
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an amazing development for a good use of technology with board games. Will also allow me to use an echo dot that otherwise sits in a drawer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moyer

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond AMAZING, well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cison
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Am also interested in knowing what the game in the first video is please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Shiels
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’m impressed! Maybe the next step is for Alexa to be your virtual opponent for solitaire gaming? That’d be amazing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McIlhargey
United States
Commercial Point
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at his videos the game is 'Great War Commander'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Eads
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work! Is there a link to your website somewhere? I'd love to get working on a template for Gloomhaven!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
msg tools
Went to try this and your instructions in the videos are super blurry to start. In part 2 you have functions already in lamba that people dont start with. You need to provide the names of those. Cant read the names are its super blurry.

Part 3 is not even on youtube. It has part 1 2 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Nichols
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSSlippy wrote:
Went to try this and your instructions in the videos are super blurry to start. In part 2 you have functions already in lamba that people dont start with. You need to provide the names of those.

Yeah 2 is a bit blurry, I'll re-film it tonight. The function code you get when you first create is repaced after the upload.

Ignore part 3, and just go to part 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hey, this is awesome!

does it work the same with german rules?

do you have a video tutorial for adding the skill to google home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onus wrote:
Amazing work! Is there a link to your website somewhere? I'd love to get working on a template for Gloomhaven!

This brings up an interesting point... if someone makes a template for Gloomhaven (or any other game)... can they be publicly shared?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Nichols
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaFFiniuM wrote:

do you have a video tutorial for adding the skill to google home?

Onus wrote:

https://solowargamer.github.io/alexacreator.html

Dioskilos wrote:

This brings up an interesting point... if someone makes a template for Gloomhaven (or any other game)... can they be publicly shared?

Yes, Amazon has a place where you can share your applications, and others can download to their devices.

I just uploaded a brand new "PART 2" video, where you see me convert a rulebook to an Alexa app. And the text is crystal clear:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing. I can envision a time, not too far off, when a nice library of rules is available.

Publishers should start creating these and releasing them alongside their games. This brilliant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Nichols
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Google Home voice code generator is finally up. It will take your same template file you used for Alexa, and generate Google version.

This took forever, due to how Google organizes their file system. But works perfectly. And you finally have the missing "part 3".

Why a template file? If they upgrade their API or SDK, you don't need to re-code your bot. If another company comes along with a Voice device, you can use the same file too. One file does it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the latest with this? Anyone else using it for a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing. Your videos really are great at showing how easy it is. I am not a developer (board game or software) and my mind is spinning on what I want to do. Where to start? Your Combat Commander example has me wanting to run with it.

I can see myself getting lost in this. Actually make my stupid Alexa do something other than tell me the weather. I have had one since they were a Prime Only pre-order and have yet to use it for really anything. Now I want to move her to my game room and fill her head with Board Game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest benefit for the people writing the templates is probably that after having written them, they never need to ask -- because they're now really familiar with the rules!

Edit: I just realised that this might come off as disparaing about the actual function of the software -- sorry, that's not what I mean.
I just wanted to share my experience that once you have carefully written something up in a form where it is instructive to others, you're very unlikely to forget it again (except of course over time; if you don't refresh it, you will forget it eventually).
And I think this is super positive and something far more people should use when trying to learn things themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.