Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difference between the advantage instructions on the Longest Trade Route card and the rulebook/almanac.

ON THE CARD
"1:1 supply trade. One time on your turn, you may give the supply 1 resource/goods card from your hand and take any 1 resource/goods from the supply in return."

RULEBOOK PAGE 5 SECOND COLUMN
"If you possess the advantage card, you may exchange any 2 resource and/or goods cards of your choice for any 1 different resource or goods card of your choice from the supply. You can only do this 1 time per turn. You can only do it during your own trade and build phase."

ALMANAC PAGE PAGE 13 SECOND COLUMN
"On your turn, during the combined trade/build phase, you may exchange any 2 resources/goods cards of your choice for any 1 different resource/goods card of your choice from the supply. You may choose freely which 2 cards you want to return to the supply."

"Example: Claudia's hand contains 1 feather, 1 stone, 1 wool, and 1 ore. The Longest Trade Route allows her to trade 1 feather and 1 stone for 1 potato from the supply. Now she buy 1 development card."

ALMANAC PAGE 21 FIRST COLUMN
"If you hold the advantage card, one time during your combined trade/build phase you may exchange any 2 resource cards and/or goods cards of your choice for any 1 different resource card or goods card of your choice from the supply."

So, we decided the preponderance of evidence went with "any 2 for 1 once per turn"... but want to make sure there is an official ruling on this.

And I'm wondering if this misprint will be corrected/fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't believe I'm reading this.

Really? Another misprint, AND on a component?

It's as if they didn't learn anything from their Game of Thrones printing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Miles
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that having 1:1 trade gives a very big advantage, and so far have played with a 2:1 rule. However, my son pointed out that the rulebook actually has the 1:1 wording on the tiny picture of the card contained within it!
Also, if a 2:1 trade was intended, then some of the text on the advantage card is superfluous, as Goods cards can always be traded at a 2:1 rate.
I share others' frustration with the misprints - both Legends of the Sea Robbers and Game of Thrones Catan had significant misprints and errors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It would be nice if the Catan studios provided some clarity on the correct ruling. Surely they are aware of the discrepancy by now!

Does anyone know how the digital version treats this advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have the Swedish translation of the game, and it says two for one on the card too, so that's even more evidence it's a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kelley
United States
Bristol
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I am glad someone started a discussion about this mistake, as the English printing of the game indeed contradicts itself. It seems the proper rule should give you a 2:1 trade ratio, meaning the 1:1 ratio printed on the card is wrong. So far, several helpful points have been stated here to this end, including the following:

1) Both the English Rules and Almanac indicate a 2:1 ratio of trade, where the 2 cards can be any combination of goods/resources.

2) The Swedish translation apparently includes a card showing a 2:1 ratio.

Adding to this evidence, I looked at the German Longest Trade Route card as a "primary source", since all the other translations would flow from the original German. You can see a first version in a video featuring Klaus Teuber himself discussing the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH3ATo_l_Wo ...Skip to 4:00 and the tile is clear in a closeup. In translation, the ratio is 2:1. Also, the final production version of the German tile says the same thing. You can view it here: https://www.fjelfras.de/wordpress/blog/brettspiele/kritisch-... ...among other places. For the record, it reads as follows:

"Vorteil: Du darfst einmal in deiner Handels- und Bauphase 2 beliebige Rohstoff- und/oder Handelsgutkarten gegen 1 beliebige andere mit dem Vorrat tauschen."

...Translated to English, it reads as follows:

"Advantage: One time in your Trading and Building Phase, you may trade any 2 resource and/or goods cards for any 1 other card in the supply."

Conclusion: Given everything listed above, it seems clear the trade ratio is 2:1 as given in the Rules and Almanac. I hope this helps, just as the previous posts were very helpful to me during my first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Magin
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

Thanks for bringing this error to our attention. We are sorry for the error on the Longest Trade Route special victory point card in our game Catan: Rise of the Inkas. The rules as written in the Rulebook and Almanac are correct (2:1 trade). The text on that (cardboard)
special victory point card is not correct. The special victory point card should read:

Longest Trade Route
This card goes to the player with the longest unbroken road
of at least 3 segments. Another player who builds a longer
road takes this card.
Advantage: 2:1 supply trade. One time on your turn, you may
give the supply any 2 resource/goods cards from your hand and
take any 1 different resource/goods card from the supply in return.

We expect that the replacement part will be available to our customer service department by the end of March. If you wish, we will happily supply you with a replacement component at that time. Until replacement card becomes available, please feel free to print a replacement tile to use in your games. We have put a PDF of that tile in the "images" section of this BGG listing so you can download it.

If you would like to request a replacement part, go to this link:

https://parts.asmodeena.com/partsrequests/

This is our parts request page. Once you are there, fill out the form. Then perform the following steps:

In section 1.,
• fill out your contact info.

In section 2.,
• (A) Select the game title by searching for "Catan: Rise of the Inkas" in the green box.
• (B) Choose Component type: “Longest Road.”
• (C) Describe your request box by typing in the following text: "Please send me a corrected Catan: Rise of the Inkas Longest Trade Route card as soon as they are available.”

In section 3.,
• (D) Upload a picture of your mis-printed Longest Trade Route card by clicking on the “choose file” button.

Then hit “Submit.”

Again, sorry for our error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Miles
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got around to submitting a request - any idea when the card will be reprinted? Is there any way to stop all these errors occurring - Catan: Legend of the Sea robber had one class of treasure chests missing; Catan: Game of Thrones 1st edition was a disaster of errors. Having said that, I've yet to find anything wrong so far in Crop Trust ;-)
Could you send advance games out to testers who would play the games and look for errors in printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.