Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Teams.

One side has the Answer. It is a person, place or thing. The first team to have the guesser get a person place AND thing correct wins.

The other partner in each team has several cards in their hand, which are refreshed when used.

Its like Password(tm) in that the guessers kind of ask questions and the people who know the answer must respond as best they can.

Except the questions you are allowed to ask are only the ones on the cards.

And they were written by someone on drugs.

So when you see Geeklists comparing someone's pet to a game or their job to a game, its kind of like this. And its just as hard for the question asker as the clue giver.

This is far harder to explain than to simply give an example.

The answer is: Arnold Schwarzenegger

The question asker has three questions in their hand:
If you were a household appliance, what would you be?
If you were a piece of clothing what would you be?
If you were a shape, what would you be?

WTF!?

OK, so its the first round, and purely randomly, the asker picks the Clothing question.

The person who knows the answer than tries to think of a particularly Arnie piece of clothin, and imagines the iconic Terminator picture.

"Sunglasses." is the reply.

Knowing no other clues, the asker guesses A Traffic Cop. Wrong.

The next player goes. They look at their cards and ask:
If you were a piece of furniture what would you be?

At which point the person knowing the answer begins to cry, because no matter what they reply, it will be a clue that serves only to confuse both players. Going out on a limb, they choose to say "Weight Bench".

Not a bad clue, and it makes sense to the clue givers.

Sunglasses. Weight Bench.

Now, the guesser ponders. "The Terminator" they guess.

Bzzzt. Close. Both clue givers roll their eyes, one in frustation, one in hope.

"If you were a body part, what would you be?"

Not wanting to lose the chain of thought connecting to Terminator, the clue giver plays a clever word game.

"I'll be back."

"Arnold Schwarzenegger?"

Win one Person point.

And so the game continues as players switch rolls.

This works well with creative and intelligent people and lends itself greatly to inside knowledge, when you give clues only your partner knows, but will be mystifying to the other team. Works great for couples on teams.

That's all there is to it. The confounding questions and annoying answers. If a card goes 10 guesses with no correct answer, it is given up on - maybe that play group just doesn't know enough about the Mason-Dixon line to describe in such a round about way.

Great game for two couples to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever example!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Thats kind of the point of the game and I wanted to get that across the right way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Taylor
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Do you know where I could find a copy of this game? I really, really, really want one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it recently in a book store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike agrelius
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Ashlee,

I am working at updating the game. Hopefully a new version of the game will be in the stores some time in 2009. Paul, thank you for your explanation of the game. The only thing I would have added is that in your example of "Sun glasses" as a clue, you could have used the words, "Sun glasses like in Terminator". Also, the person probably wouldn't have guessed "A policeman" if they read the rule about how all the people, places and things are always Proper Nouns/Names.

- Mike Agrelius, inventor of Abstracts: The Game of Absurd Logic, and Made in the USA card game
The Incredible Game Company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeagrelius wrote:
Ashlee,

I am working at updating the game. Hopefully a new version of the game will be in the stores some time in 2009. Paul, thank you for your explanation of the game. The only thing I would have added is that in your example of "Sun glasses" as a clue, you could have used the words, "Sun glasses like in Terminator". Also, the person probably wouldn't have guessed "A policeman" if they read the rule about how all the people, places and things are always Proper Nouns/Names.

- Mike Agrelius, inventor of Abstracts: The Game of Absurd Logic, and Made in the USA card game
The Incredible Game Company

Mike, I love your game and am looking forward to the reprint so I can give copies to all my friends who would appreciate it (there are many). However, I really hope you don't take a reprint in the direction you indicated - the game is much more fun when you have to give ambiguous clues like "sunglasses" and not weeny clues like "sunglasses, like those in terminator". It's MUCH more fun for people to have to wade through potentially confusing answers until they spot the connection, instead of having it given to them like that. Just two cents from a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Curtis
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
OK, so its the first round, and purely randomly, the asker picks the Clothing question.

The person who knows the answer than tries to think of a particularly Arnie piece of clothin, and imagines the iconic Terminator picture.

"Sunglasses." is the reply.

Knowing no other clues, the asker guesses A Traffic Cop. Wrong.

The next player goes. They look at their cards and ask:
If you were a piece of furniture what would you be?

Don't you have to keep the same clue question for the whole round? So you'd only be able to list off answers about the clothing, not switch to answering new questions like your example? I thought it was in the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What the &*%! are you talking about? Plays like a geeklist.
Dexsting wrote:
Don't you have to keep the same clue question for the whole round? So you'd only be able to list off answers about the clothing, not switch to answering new questions like your example? I thought it was in the rules...

No. That would make it unplayable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

I have played your game and think it is great...any more news on re-releasing it?

Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.