9 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rules: Isolated Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flo LeBlanc
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has much fun with this game.What we still ponder is why so many game creators believe it is fun to single out players from a COOP game to have them play the game alone. (I'm looking at you High Noon in Brimstone!)

Blackstone Fortress has two of those encounter cards - where either one or two players of the group have to battle it out with some enemies.
For 1 player games this is obviously not a problem - if you are playing with 3 to 4 players however this is just an unnecessary downtime in our opinion.

A House rule to remove those 2 encounters would be possible - then again this would decrease the overall difficulty of the encounter deck.

That said: Which kind of challenge/encounter would you deem appropriately designed, that does not increase the overall duration.
(Intuitively one could draw a random combat for everyone to participate when facing a singled out challenge - but this would increase overall game time)

Thank you for your input guys and girls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards exist for you to go make me tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've encountered one of these cards. We play with a group of 3, so one of us had to sit out. However, the encounter took place on 1-2 tiles (can't remember) and lasted 2 rounds. I don't think it was really that big of a deal for the other player to watch for the 10-15 mins it took, especially since we often strategize as a group anyway.

That said, I think you could remove the card without any worry about balance to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best aspects I've found with GW's current line of games is how well they take individual adjustments to suit just about anyone. I don't mind the Isolated style challenges. Then again, I'm playing currently with just my son (13 years old) and also my younger son (5), so I'm helping run the game mechanics, and there's no real down time for me.

But if they aren't to your group's tastes, I don't think it breaks the game to remove them from the challenges. I do find it very thematic, and it adds to the epic story that unfolds while you play the game, so I understand why they were included. And they often are very short to resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Then again, I'm playing currently with just my son (13 years old) and also my younger son (5)...
Good job, Dad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
kingbobb wrote:
Then again, I'm playing currently with just my son (13 years old) and also my younger son (5)...
Good job, Dad!
Aye! I second that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul jamison
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FloLeBlanc wrote:
For 1 player games this is obviously not a problem - if you are playing with 3 to 4 players however this is just an unnecessary downtime in our opinion.
agreed - and even for 1 player.
especially since the rewards are fairly negligible (a disco card and an init or something like that) and the risks relatively high (potentially multiple extra wounds or even a character down - not that other challenges can't do similar... but at least they do it quick).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We got 'Isolated' card also. I have to say that watching my buddy sweat to get out alive (he got down to 4 wounds and killed the last hostile with a destiny die) was really fun. We cheered when he made it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headbangert wrote:
We got 'Isolated' card also. I have to say that watching my buddy sweat to get out alive (he got down to 4 wounds and killed the last hostile with a destiny die) was really fun. We cheered when he made it.

We enjoy cheering on the unlucky "victim" too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls