8 Posts

Orbis» Forums » General

Subject: God tiles seem... Weak? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Oak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this game last week. I enjoyed the part about building our universe, trying to plan a strategy only for another player to take the tile you wanted, etc.

But the God tiles were so... Disappointing.

I don't really see the point of grabbing a God tile until later in the game when you're sure that it's gonna give you the points. And even then you get 3 victory points. That's... Nothing.

So, not only do they give you a tiny amount of points, but it can be pretty hard to achieve the conditions to get those few points.

I would think that, thematically, God tiles would be the most powerful tiles in the game. But nope. Temples end up giving you more points than Gods. Doesn't really make sense, tbh.

I was thinking maybe it'd be more fun if you randomly got a God and you keep it hidden from the other player until the end (like a "secret objective"), but the amount of points a God tile gives you is so underwhelming I don't even want to bother trying out that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are rather wimpy I think it's more about being able to "skip" a turn at some point in the game if you don't like the tiles/cubes that are present and hope something better will come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one play under my belt, and I will say that, thematically, god tiles feel underwhelming, but 3 VPs is a lot in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing a variant with only 1 god tile per player - more chance of getting a raw deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@garry_rice:

That's basically what I did, haha. But then the other player did the same.

@jotora:

I agree. Too bad a God tile gives you the same VPs as other normal tiles can give. Thematically underwhelming is a great term (especially since they even have their own "section" and taking one God tile has different rules than a normal tile. Why go through all the trouble if they are not that special? Might as well mix them with the normal tiles lol).

@Redking:

That could be an option. At least adds a bit more strategy into trying to screw your opponent over so they don't get points. But since points are given also via tie of conditions, you may be sacrificing too many vps just to deny your opponent 3 vps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeta Leonis
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel what you said, but hear me out: I think the whole "weak gods" phenomenon is completely intentional. IMO the designer must had to de-power whatever original concept developed for gods to keep the game balanced, otherwise the game would have been only about choosing the right god and wait for your opponents to make one or two mistakes / have bad luck at drafting hexagons. Keeping the gods creation points under the usual power level (around 3 CP each) makes the game fair and doesn't steal the focus of the "base game": to build an universe.

I understand that on the thematic/emotional front having a game about "gods building universes" and then discovering that the gods are "average" can be underwhelming, but I think in the end the game designer made a good compromise to keep the game in check.

Having said that, since the game space is so thigh I think it presents a very good opportunity to create expansions and/or supplemental content (as we are discussing with Redking on the variants section) that add complexity and/or more layers on top of that base game.

[Edited for typos]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie F

California
msg tools
I think some of it is just about forcing you to decide when to skip a turn taking a tile. There's always so much to do in building up your realm.

But yes... I won my first game without scoring any God points. The temple points were far more significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
pradafang wrote:
Just played this game last week. I enjoyed the part about building our universe, trying to plan a strategy only for another player to take the tile you wanted, etc.

But the God tiles were so... Disappointing.

I don't really see the point of grabbing a God tile until later in the game when you're sure that it's gonna give you the points. And even then you get 3 victory points. That's... Nothing.

So, not only do they give you a tiny amount of points, but it can be pretty hard to achieve the conditions to get those few points.

I would think that, thematically, God tiles would be the most powerful tiles in the game. But nope. Temples end up giving you more points than Gods. Doesn't really make sense, tbh.

I was thinking maybe it'd be more fun if you randomly got a God and you keep it hidden from the other player until the end (like a "secret objective"), but the amount of points a God tile gives you is so underwhelming I don't even want to bother trying out that variant.

Ok, two things.

1. The goddes of love grants you five cubes of the color of your choice. And 1 VP. If you grab it as your first tile,you are the only player who can get a farm tile at the beginning of the game, because no one else would have enough cubes on their second turn. Then you're still left with 3 cubes and a huge discount for the rest of the game.

2.Because the gods are effectively free, making them more powerful would mean that playing first would be a HUGE advantage. I mean, Apprentice Goddess, has no requirements and no downside. Is's just a free 2 point. So you can start with that and be pretty much guaranteed that your first tile will have cubes on it. Or you can get it on a turn where you can't afford anything or can't place anything other than wilderness.

Plus the fact that there are no placement rules for gods. So they can never "not fit" into your universe.

Making gods more powerful would be a BAD idea.

However, I do agree that it is anticlimactic thematically. Especially for a component called "God" that is the focus of the game's theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.