17 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is there a list of "Gotcha" Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've dug around the forums but haven't spotted one yet (it's entirely possible I overlooked it though), so I figured I would ask. Is there a list that has been compiled of rules that are commonly forgotten or overlooked by players?

I added a file to the game, it can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/173382/fallout-gotcha-rul... I will update as more things are added/suggested.

Creating a running list of what's suggested in this thread (will reword as suggested):

* Monsters respawn in a deactivated state at the nearest available spawn point for their type. So you do not need to remember where they started from before they were eventually killed.

* When you level up the XP peg bounces between the SPECIAL letters you have already gained, not every peg hole (unless you have all the letters of course). When gaining XP, gain all the XP by moving the peg BEFORE performing level up actions. This can create a situation where you would level up twice in a row, this is intentional.

* Ranged, enemies gain +1 hit when attacking from an adjacent space unless you are equipped with a ranged weapon.

* All agenda cards have a base influence of 1.

* When playing solo and you must shuffle the agenda deck, you only move the faction with the least influence on the influence track, if they are tied you move both.

* Damage from attacks is assigned to you BEFORE you assign damage to an enemy.

* If an encounter card has you "draw and fight" you actually have to defeat the enemy to succeed at the event.

* You can re-roll dice you already re-rolled when utilizing re-roll abilities.

* When you are able to re-roll dice, you can re-roll any number of dice.

* Enemies can move across facedown map tiles. They treat each facedown map tile as a single space.

* You may do all of the following in any order: recover 3 HP, unexhaust all of your exhausted cards, gain the Well Rested trait, and trade with any other survivors in your space or an adjacent space. All exhausted cards must be unexhausted.

* You cannot use water or stimpacks during combat.

* If you are on a deactivated monster that then activates, regardless of its aggression, combat does NOT happen.

* There are three cases where an enemy can begin combat (There are other cases where the player begins combat, this applies to enemies only):
**The enemy is active, in your sector, and activates at the end of the round.
**The enemy is active, ranged, in an adjacent sector, and activates at the end of the round.
**The enemy is active, aggressive, stands in an adjacent sector and activates at the end of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cotton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen one, but it should be pretty easy to make one right here and now.

I'll make the first contribution:

1) Monsters respawn at the nearest available spawn point for their type. So you do not need to remember where they started from before they were eventually killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M Cotton wrote:

1) Monsters respawn at the nearest available spawn point for their type. So you do not need to remember where they started from before they were eventually killed.

Players should also note that when enemies re-spawn they start deactivated.

A question I have, before I add it to the list of gotchas:

If the player (or enemy) does not have a ranged weapon, and is attacked by an enemy with a ranged weapon on an adjacent tile, does the player still deal damage when the dice are rolled, or do they only take damage from the enemy, without dealing damage back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you level up the XP peg bounces between the SPECIAL letters you have already gained, not every peg hole (unless you have all the letters of course). When gaining XP, gain all the XP by moving the peg BEFORE performing level up actions. This can create a situation where you would level up twice in a row, this is intentional.

Ranged, enemies gain +1 hit when attacking from an adjacent space unless you are equipped with a ranged weapon.

All agenda cards have a base influence of 1. (this may seem obvious but I missed this)

When playing solo and you must shuffle the agenda deck, you only move the faction with the least influence on the influence track, if they are tied you move both.

Damage from attacks is assigned to you BEFORE you assign damage to an enemy.

If an encounter card has you "draw and fight" you actually have to defeat the enemy to succeed at the event.

You can re-roll dice you already re-rolled when utilizing re-roll abilities.

I'll add more if I think of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tipster wrote:
* When you level up the XP peg bounces between the SPECIAL letters you have already gained, not every peg hole (unless you have all the letters of course). When gaining XP, gain all the XP by moving the peg BEFORE performing level up actions. This can create a situation where you would level up twice in a row, this is intentional.

Wow, I've played SEVERAL times and not noticed this; that's a game-changer. That's an excellent mechanic, increasing the XP you need to level up each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Luken
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I played, we gained XP and moved it along each hole in the track. It was rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Tipster wrote:

Wow, I've played SEVERAL times and not noticed this; that's a game-changer. That's an excellent mechanic, increasing the XP you need to level up each time.

It's a clever mechanic! Makes sense as well, since as you get stronger it will take longer to level. At least it makes sense in my opinion. Hopefully it makes your games less grindy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was wondering why it felt like level progression was super slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:
When gaining XP, gain all the XP by moving the peg BEFORE performing level up actions. This can create a situation where you would level up twice in a row, this is intentional.

How sure are we of this one? I don't have the book on me right now, so I'll have to triple check later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tipster wrote:
DC680 wrote:
When gaining XP, gain all the XP by moving the peg BEFORE performing level up actions. This can create a situation where you would level up twice in a row, this is intentional.

How sure are we of this one? I don't have the book on me right now, so I'll have to triple check later.

I'm very sure.

From page 14 of the RR

"When a survivor gains XP, he or she moves the peg for all gained XP, and then performs the steps for each level gained during that process."

The reason for this was posted on a FAQ around here somewhere. The designers did not want the player to forget how much XP they still had to gain by stopping to do level up activities before gaining all earned XP. It may seem silly but its the official ruling and it does make the whole gaining XP thing a little smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it and wish I'd noticed it before; it's a nice, smooth gradation in XP required that's easily trackable by looking at what you already have. I actually wondered why the rules said you could level up twice in a row when that seemed impossible, having missed this particular thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt W
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
The noise electric never stops, in Heartbeat City
mbmbmbmbmb
Camping was more nuanced than we realized our first couple of games.

RR p4: When camping you may do all of the following in any order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Slobodchikov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use water or stimpack in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plem R
msg tools
Tipster wrote:

I added a file to the game, it can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/173382/fallout-gotcha-rul... I will update as more things are added/suggested.

"Enemies can move across facedown map tiles. They treat each facedown map
tile as a single space."

Pls add: "If you discover facedown tile with an enemy, you choose any sector in that tile to place enemy."

Tipster wrote:

If the player (or enemy) does not have a ranged weapon, and is attacked by an enemy with a ranged weapon on an adjacent tile, does the player still deal damage when the dice are rolled, or do they only take damage from the enemy, without dealing damage back?

It counts like a common fight. Monster deals 1 damage from range, then it's like you both move to melee range and fight.

In some streams I saw a problem with monster's activations.
The rule is: If u stand on deactivated monster and it activates, regardless of its agression there will be no fight. Activated monster fights with u in 3 cases: (1) It stands in your sector. It's not in deactivated status and it's activates at the end of turn. (2) It stands in adjecent sector with ranged weapon. It's not in deactivated status and it's activates at the end of turn. (3) It stands in adjecent sector with agressive. It's not in deactivated status and it's activates at the end of turn and enters your sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy! Thanks for all the contributions guys! Keep them coming! I was sick over the weekend and didn't have a chance to update anything, so I'll be doing that now! So many small rules that you guys have mentioned that have already helped me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plem87 wrote:
"If you discover facedown tile with an enemy, you choose any sector in that tile to place enemy."

Did not know this! Do you know if this applies to when enemies respawn as well, or are they then forced to spawn directly on an icon?

And thanks for clarifying my question, that was how I had come to understand it, but wanted to be sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tipster wrote:
Plem87 wrote:
"If you discover facedown tile with an enemy, you choose any sector in that tile to place enemy."

Did not know this! Do you know if this applies to when enemies respawn as well, or are they then forced to spawn directly on an icon?

And thanks for clarifying my question, that was how I had come to understand it, but wanted to be sure!

When killed, enemies always spawn on the closest unoccupied space that bears the symbol of the enemy type.

If you explore (flip) a tile with an enemy sitting on top of it,you get to choose where it goes on the now flipped tile. This can happen as enemies walk onto unexolored tiles and them you explore the tile while the enemy is still on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.