Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Do you never miss the social aspect in solo gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing in this hobby i really Like is the social aspect of gaming. I really miss that thing when i solo.

Do you ever miss the social aspect when you play solo?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say without this guild then maybe but the interaction here more than makes up for it.

I do have the benefit of a monthly game group night and my family plays with me periodically.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
no, not really.

better alone with a game I enjoy than in multiplayer with a game I don't enjoy
31 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy playing multiplayer games, but I don't really miss the social aspect of gaming when I'm playing solo.

I tend to find the social aspect exhausting actually and it's far from the primary reason I play games.

19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but it's a totally different experience for me. So it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Of course, if I was super into "thinking" games and was competitive, than I could see how something would be missing playing solo against bots or "beat your own score" type of games.

I also am grateful to have a couple social circles so I don't need my games to socially impacted. It's funny I do have a group that pays games semi-regularly, once every 1-2 months, but I don't play the same games with them that I do solo, so I don't even feel like they're the same thing.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chester
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Most of what get's played in my area are really complicated board games, 40k, or 40k boardgames. I have a hard time finding anyone interested in what I want to play. Thankfully I have some friends that are willing to try anything once. As a result they have committed to a couple of game that aren't Games Workshop.

Solo play also keeps me at home. If I play too much outside I get dirty looks from my family.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I miss are true AD&D-Roleplay-Sessions, with 4 or 5 friends, during those old days when everyone had more time.
Yes, this kind of playing together I miss, such great adventures we experienced over many years.
But now, without such a group and much less time, there’s only time for board games.

Board Games played with other people are not my first choice, in fact I prefer to play them solo.
I only like tactically deep games, with tough decisions and a high difficulty.
And this is an aspect I wanna do myself, I enjoy the thinking and trying, I wanna see if I’m better this time.
If I would play together with other people, I couldn’t take any time I want to think about a situation, I rather had to discuss it, and in the end it wouldn’t feel like „I“ had achieved the victory.
Wether I loose or win, I prefer to know that I alone am responsible.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, and I lack the control I get over the game when playing multiplayer, and the lack of downtime
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Pepere
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I don't think I would play only solo anyway. So when I play solo, I appreciate it and when I play multi, I also appreciate it.

And as Christophe pointed, it's better to play solo than with people with whom you don't get along.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, no, I don't. Here's why. What annoys me most about group gaming is the imbalance of experience playing any game. Invariably, there will be someone who has played the game a lot (usually the owner), some who may have played once or twice, and some newcomers to the title. This generally means a full explanation of the game is necessary (for the newcomers), and then once the game starts, it's clear who will win. This is the biggest disadvantage to MP gaming for me.

Now, if I could get a smaller group together who commits to a smaller pool of games, to learn them together, and be roughly of the same experience/ability, I'd be all over it. But doesn't seem possible. There are a couple of people I'd love to play against more frequently, but they live further away, and the game night/location they go to isn't practical for me. So instead, I focus on solo.

Colin
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
Always look on the... *sigh* ... bright side of life !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. I play video games on my own (LAN with my wife) and mostly solo (some 2P games with my wife). I've grown to hate social gaming more and more. It's just too bothersome...

I prefer the closer moments with my wife, and both in solo and with her, the time we have to think and chat peacefuly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Temple
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I enjoy playing multiplayer, but with people I already know. Then I can chose a lighter/family game and have a good time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what meetups are for, but I also need my time alone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but to me Solo and Multiplayer are completely different beasts. The reasons I play with a group are so vastly different from my reasons to play solo games that they just don't compare.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broken Axe
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's odd. I have a game group here and whenever I get together with them (infrequently) I have fun. They typically play games I would never choose to play as I'm not a fan of wood, brick and ore and the like. It's just a chore getting together with them and convincing myself that it is good for me.

I'd rather play the games I enjoy by myself or two player games with my wife. It is a meditative time for me when I play games solo, especially wargames.

I go back and forth on this all the time though but I prefer real friends to people I just play games with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I miss is the ability to play games that really require a group of people -- RPGs, games with traitor mechanics, or games that need a large group (like Dead of Winter -- Waring Colonies).

I just enjoy board games and really willing to play just about anything with a group, simply because I enjoy games. But frequently I find that gaming groups come with so many side issues, that I just prefer to game solo. It seems that at almost every game night I have been to a random number of the following always seem to come up:
1. No one knows the rules -- watch an hour long video to learn to play.
2. One person "knows" the rules, can't explain it everyone is confused.
3. Everyone thinks they can figure out the game as they go, no one does.
4. One person knows the rules, but can't think because constantly asked questions.
5. Someone has a new game they want to play, spend a hour punching and organizing the game. One person gets to read the really long manual.
6. Game just doesn't click with everyone, you can feel their misery the entire game.
7. You just bought a game and all the expansions (about $300+), no one in the group likes the game or wants to play again.
8. Player can't understand their hidden cards or what to do on their turn, keep asking everyone else to explain their cards or what they should do on their turn.
9. Plan is to play game that takes 3+ hours, game is setup up in advance, everyone knows the rules, time is planned for pizza/social hour. People show up then say they have to leave early.
10. Uber players who need to crush everyone with their superior intellect, angry that game has dice and they are in last place (because the game has no meaningful choices but they sigh or groan on every turn while doing random things, saying how they just don't care it doesn't matter anyway...).
11. Co-op players get feelings hurt when playing a competitive game and someone destroys what ever they planned on doing next turn.
12. Your group has finally figured out the game, everyone knows the rules, and it is now fun. So, you will never play that game again because the next time you meet there will be some hot new game that someone will be unwrapping that night.
22 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
The only thing I miss is the ability to play games that really require a group of people -- RPGs, games with traitor mechanics, or games that need a large group (like Dead of Winter -- Waring Colonies).

I just enjoy board games and really willing to play just about anything with a group, simply because I enjoy games. But frequently I find that gaming groups come with so many side issues, that I just prefer to game solo. It seems that at almost every game night I have been to a random number of the following always seem to come up:
1. No one knows the rules -- watch an hour long video to learn to play.
2. One person "knows" the rules, can't explain it everyone is confused.
3. Everyone thinks they can figure out the game as they go, no one does.
4. One person knows the rules, but can't think because constantly asked questions.
5. Someone has a new game they want to play, spend a hour punching and organizing the game. One person gets to read the really long manual.
6. Game just doesn't click with everyone, you can feel their misery the entire game.
7. You just bought a game and all the expansions (about $300+), no one in the group likes the game or wants to play again.
8. Player can't understand their hidden cards or what to do on their turn, keep asking everyone else to explain their cards or what they should do on their turn.
9. Plan is to play game that takes 3+ hours, game is setup up in advance, everyone knows the rules, time is planned for pizza/social hour. People show up then say they have to leave early.
10. Uber players who need to crush everyone with their superior intellect, angry that game has dice and they are in last place (because the game has no meaningful choices but they sigh or groan on every turn while doing random things, saying how they just don't care it doesn't matter anyway...).
11. Co-op players get feelings hurt when playing a competitive game and someone destroys what ever they planned on doing next turn.
12. Your group has finally figured out the game, everyone knows the rules, and it is now fun. So, you will never play that game again because the next time you meet there will be some hot new game that someone will be unwrapping that night.


A perfect list.

Colin
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No!
I am happy to play with family or friends whenever the opportunity presents itself but I don’t miss it... I genuinely enjoy solo gaming!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, sometimes. I'm about 65/35 a solo/multiplayer gamer, and there are definitely times where I would prefer to be multiplayer gaming instead of solo. But there are also times when nothing but solo will do - when the chance to pick the game, control the board, and immerse myself as much as I want carries the day.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:

Do you ever miss the social aspect when you play solo?


No. There are too many other ways to socialize.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dummiz wrote:
One thing in this hobby i really Like is the social aspect of gaming. I really miss that thing when i solo.

Do you ever miss the social aspect when you play solo?

I do. The primary reason I play solo is because my desire to play exceeds the availability of groups to play with. There are a few games on my shelves that are truly better solo, but I prefer to play a majority of my collection multi-player when possible. Folks in Guild that know me will attest to the fact that I'm very extraverted and prefer company. I don't play games purely for the social interaction, but it's a heckuva nice perk and I've met some of my closest friends through the hobby.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in with those folks who say it’s comparing apples to oranges most of the time. The games I play with others are so light that I make small talk & visit. The one friend I do play heavier games with, we rarely get a chance to get really into it, only having an hour and a half or so, because he needs to go to bed for work the nights we can get together.

Whereas, when I game alone, I can focus on a game, dive deep into it, get lost in the play and hours disappear.

There are definitely times I’d like to have a live opponent because of the challenge, but as it’s not really an option, I just put it out of my mind. I enjoy solo and I don’t see it ever not being that way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Dummiz wrote:

Do you ever miss the social aspect when you play solo?


No. There are too many other ways to socialize.



I feel the same way.

Also, the few times I've tried the gamer meetup thing, I thought it was a lousy gaming experience, although a regular gaming group might not have the same "all of us but one are learning this game and suck at it" issue.

I tried pulling friends and family into gaming when I started the hobby, fresh off of binge-watching Tabletop episodes. It was okay, but after finding solo gaming, I realize I'm more interested in the competition against myself via the game than against other people. If I wanted to compete against the people, I'd play poker and take their money to buy more solo games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeak 'n' Squawk
United States
flag msg tools
Millet, you say? Where?
badge
A pistachio would be nice.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The most fun I’ve had gaming with others has always been when

- I knew what we were going to play ahead of time and knew I liked it/wanted to try it,
- everyone else knew the rules (or it was not hard to explain - I preferred everyone to read rules ahead of time) and they liked the game/wanted to try it
- I knew and liked everyone who would be playing

Usually this meant big six player 12 hour games of Dune or Advanced Civilization or Star Fleet Battles, or ongoing wargames that took months to play.

A lot of modern board game social culture seems to revolve around an endless supply of new Euros, and a constant battle where everyone wants to play their latest acquisition. The real game is trying to get to play something you like (and preferably more than once so it’s something besides a blunder-filled learning session). I find it very tiresome.

Solo gaming lets me choose a game I like, and play it ten times in a row if I feel like it.


7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

flaeryn wrote:
That's what meetups are for, but I also need my time alone.

The4thJawa wrote:
No, but to me Solo and Multiplayer are completely different beasts. The reasons I play with a group are so vastly different from my reasons to play solo games that they just don't compare.

What both of them said!



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |