United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of threads that pose similar or related questions concerning the game. Martin Wallace has responded in several threads. Players are interpreting rules and creating house rules for grey areas. There are a few areas that need clarifications, but not as many as you would guess from the number of rules threads. The big clarification is movement into a contested location and combat. Using this link you can see where Martin has responded here on BGG for this and other games.

In an attempt to consolidate the existing threads and to reduce the need for new threads, I will attempt to create a consolidated Errata/Clarifications thread. This thread will be edited and expanded as and when required.

Please read the printed rules carefully and also read the Q&A on pages 16/17 of the rules. The Q&A helps to clarify some of the rules. The draft rules PDF is not up to date and is very misleading. Do not use the draft rules PDF for anything other than an overview of the game.

Post further clarifications or corrections below and I will incorporate them into this thread.

An Illustrated Examples of Play [Picture Heavy] thread will help to document some of the game mechanics.

Further clarification/designer ruling or agreement required

None.

Answered Questions

Cards
Q: Are discarded cards revealed?
A: Yes.
(See designer response 7.)

Map
Q: Based on the wording that the Confederate can move into ungarrisoned Union areas in the north end of the map, but that they cannot attack into one provided there is a Union army present. Is that correct? Ref No Confederate attack areas
A: Confederate units cannot move into any of the three areas at the top of the Union side. These areas represent the great swathes of land to the north that the Confederates would have no hope of controlling. It also means the Union can always attack Confederate positions no matter how far north they go.
(Designer response)

Q: What are the XXXXs on the map?
A: The XXXXs are a reminder of the initial setup of the armies. E.G. An XX in a blue location means to place a 2 strength Union army. An X in a grey location means to place a 1 strength Confederate army.

Component Limits
Q: Can I build a 1-Army or a 2-Army instead of a 3-Army if all of the 3-Army counters are on the map?
A: No, the component mix is limited.
(See designer response 3.)

Forts
Q: Can you have more than one Fort in the same half of a Location?
(See rules top of page 9. Ref the stacking limit)

Q: Is a fort a unit?
(Designer response)
Page 9 has the deployment of a fort via the 'Deploy unit' action.

Q: Can a fort control a location?
(Designer response)
Q&A at bottom of page 16, page 9 and para 8. on Page 12. You take control of a location if you are the sole occupant of what was an enemy location.

Q: Can a fort control contest a location?
A: Yes, A fort can contest a location, but only as the defender.
(Designer response)
See Q&A at bottom of page 16. 'Declare an attack in a contested location' on page 10 states that having enemy units and your units in the same location would make it contested.

Movement into Contested Area and Combat
Q: If I move armies into the half, of a Contested Location, that already contains my armies, does Combat occur?
A: You can choose to initiate combat or not. All of your armies in the Location take part in Combat.

Q: If I move armies into the half, of a Contested Location, that do NOT already contains my armies, does Combat automatically occur?
A: Yes. The moving armies are included in the combat; the attacker can also include the armies already present in the location.

If you move armies into a contested area then you can choose to add them to forces already there and not instigate combat. However, if you do wish to attack then you can do so with all of your forces in that area. The exception to this would be if you entered the area via a connection that connected with the half occupied by the opposing player. In this case you would have to attack, but you can still add in those forces already present in the area.
(Designer Response here and here and here)

Combat - Benefit Card

Q: Can a player play more than one of the same Benefit card in the same Combat?
A: No. You CANNOT play the same type of benefit card in a single combat, so no double High Ground play.
(Designer response)

Combat - Leadership

Q: Must you play a card for Leadership when attacking?
A: Yes
(Rules: Page 11 step 2 and designer response)

Q: Can you play a card without a Leadership value when attacking?
A: Yes, it will count as zero Leadership.
(Rules: Page 11 step 2 and designer response)

Withdrawal from Combat RULE CHANGE
Q: Can I withdraw from a controlled location to an adjacent location or to other half of the original location?
A: They can either choose to withdraw to the other half of the location or to an adjacent location.
(Response from Martin is different the printed rules. This rule change was reiterated later in the same thread).

Q: Can I split the withdrawing units between the other half-location AND adjacent locations?
A: No, either all of the units withdrawal to the other half-location or they all withdrawal to adjacent location/s.
(PM with designer)

Combat and Forts in the combat location

Q: Union armies move into the upper half of a location that is only occupied by a Confederate Fort; the Fort occupies the lower half of the location only. The location was Confederate controlled before the Action.
A: If the Union attack a location with a fort in the lower half (away from the point of entry) then the Union can immediately attack the lower half, so combat would ensue.
(Designer response)

Q: A battle is fought in a contested location. The Confederates lose the battle. A fort survives the battle after the required losses have been taken. Any surviving Confederate armies have retreated to legal adjacent locations. Is the fort eliminated or does it stay in the contested location?
Q: A battle is fought in one half of a location. The other half of the same location has a fort. The Confederates lose the battle and take their loses from the units that took part in the battle. The surviving Confederate armies retreat to legal adjacent locations. Is the fort, in the other half location, eliminated due to the battle loss?
A: If the Confederates lose a battle then any forts in the location (either half) are eliminated. Forts that are not directly involved in the combat do not count for combat casualties.
(Designer response)

This is the full answer with explanation by the designer.
If the Confederates lose a battle then any forts in the location (either half) are eliminated.

It makes sense to eliminate forts directly involved in the combat as part of your casualty requirement as they are going to die one way or another. An eliminated fort in the other half of a location that is not part of the main combat would not be counted towards the casualty requirements.

If the Confederates lose a battle then ALL units in the location (both halves) must retreat. Any forts, whether directly involved or not will be eliminated. Forts that are not directly involved in the combat do not count for combat casualties.

Europe track and Retreat
Q: Are eliminated units, caused by not being able to retreat after losing a battle, counted as losses for Europe track purposes?
A: Yes. The marker on the Europe Track is move according to the number of units lost, so if a player lost all of his units due to an inability to retreat then this would be the number used to move the marker.
(Designer response)

Contested Supply Source
Q: Can a contested supply source act as a supply source? If Washington is contested. Can a Union army deploy to a legally connected friendly controlled location? If the southern half of Washington is occupied by Confederate unit/s, can the Union deploy to Union solely controlled Gettysburg.
A: No, a supply source must be controlled. If Washington is contested then no Union units can be deployed, as there is no controlled supply source.
(Designer response)

Supply
Q: What are the effects of being out of supply?
A: The only consequence for being out of supply is that you cannot deploy new units.
(Designer response)

Control and Contested

Q: What locations are counted for Union VP purposes? Do you count VP locations that are solely controlled by the Union, or are those VP locations marked with a Union control flag?
A: You must have control of a location to score the VPs for it, so location cannot be contested.
(Designer response)
Printed rules page 7 says 'complete control' is required.

Q: What is the role of the control Flags?
A: The control flags are used to mark control of a location so that you can move units from that location without losing control of it.
(Designer response)

Removal of Control Flags RULE CHANGE
Q: Are Control Flags removed if the location is contested?
A: Yes. Control flags are used to mark sole control of a location.
Ignore the last sentence of para 8 on page 12.
(Designer response and PMs with designer)

Miscellaneous
Martin Wallace statement on rule fixes including the 'Manassas Hammer' and 1VP threshold.

Movement and Combat Flowchart
This needs updating based on the latest rules change.

Edit History
10-Dec-2018 - Initial.
11-Dec-2018 - Combat forces in a contested location clarified.
13-Dec-2018 - Illustrated Examples of Play [Picture Heavy] thread added.
13-Dec-2018 - Clarification on forts contesting, controlling, etc. Answers required moved to the top. Note about not using the draft rules PDF added.
14-Dec-2018 - No Confederate attack area question added.
15-Dec-2018 - Fort in other half of battle location wording change.
14-Dec-2018 - Question on control for movement and Flag/VP purposes added.
16-Dec-2018 - Europe Track and Retreat after battle. Contested Supply Source. Control Flag role added.
16-Dec-2018 - Comprehensive designer response here and here. Note: there is a change from the printed rules reference withdraw from a controlled location.
17-Dec-2018 - Removal of control flag. Note: this is a change from the printed rules.
22-Dec-2018 - Fort/s in the other half of a location entered by Union forces added.
23-Dec-2018 - Free attack on Fort in other half response added.
19-Apr-2019 - Wording improved to 'other half' in Withdrawal from Combat answer.
03-May-2019 - Withdrawal from combat is either to the other half-location or to adjacent location/s.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super helpful - thanks for putting this together.

I think there needs to be ruling on what happens to the fort in the lower half of the location when there is a forced withdrawal from combat in the upper half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q]Q: If I move armies into the half, of a Contested Location, that do NOT already contains my armies, does Combat automatically occur?
A: Yes. All of your armies in the Location take part in Combat.[/q}
The answer by M.W. (In this case you would have to attack, but you can still add in those forces already present in the area.) actually suggests yall of your armies may (but don't have to) take part in Combat.
That;s a very hekpuful thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Ingo
Italy
Chiavari
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Movement

Q: If I move armies into the half, of a Contested Location, that already contains my armies, does Combat occur?
A: You can choose to initiate combat or not. All of your armies in the Location take part in Combat.

Q: If I move armies into the half, of a Contested Location, that do NOT already contains my armies, does Combat automatically occur?
A: Yes. All of your armies in the Location take part in Combat.

If you move armies into a contested area then you can choose to add them to forces already there and not instigate combat. However, if you do wish to attack then you can do so with all of your forces in that area. The exception to this would be if you entered the area via a connection that connected with the half occupied by the opposing player. In this case you would have to attack, but you can still add in those forces already present in the area.

I do not agree, you have to read which questions Wallace answered to understand the meaning of the answer.

I would like to clarify a passage, in a contesteded area, split in two, if you move troops from another place in your half connected by the railroad, this move is a reinforcement and DOES NOT take any battle.
If in the same turn after the reinforcement action described above, you decide to attack using your second action, first you do not need any movement card, second you need a covered card.

This is a different case from the one in which as first move of the turn one moves troops from another place to the split contested area where there are enemy troops in this case immediately starts the combat (with covered card) but always inside the same first round action. In this case you can decide to select your troops already present in the other part of the contested area and join the battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip McCaughey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mickmick wrote:
This is super helpful - thanks for putting this together.

I think there needs to be ruling on what happens to the fort in the lower half of the location when there is a forced withdrawal from combat in the upper half.

This.

This is the only remaining query I have now and it has quite a bearing on how good forts are and turtling.

P.S. Thanks so much for compiling all of these rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding forts, I assume the question is what happens when units withdraw to a half containing an enemy fort.

I would say it’s not possible since forts are basically considered strength 3 units. Therefore you would have to withdraw to an adjacent location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Ingo
Italy
Chiavari
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
Regarding forts, I assume the question is what happens when units withdraw to a half containing an enemy fort.

I would say it’s not possible since forts are basically considered strength 3 units. Therefore you would have to withdraw to an adjacent location

This is not possible to happen, the rules about withdraw are clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip McCaughey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:

That's not *quite* the question.

If the defending units battle in the 'upper' half of the location, and the fort is in the 'lower' half (therefore, not taking part in the battle) then, if the defenders lose, they would retreat to an adjacent location.

But what happens to the fort? Does it remain and the attackers have to make a second attack as another action? Or does the fort get removed as one of the losses and the attacker takes the location?

It's not clear from the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RAJ
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
filliptoo wrote:
But what happens to the fort? Does it remain and the attackers have to make a second attack as another action?
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
filliptoo wrote:
voynix wrote:

If the defending units battle in the 'upper' half of the location, and the fort is in the 'lower' half (therefore, not taking part in the battle) then, if the defenders lose, they would retreat to an adjacent location.

But what happens to the fort? Does it remain and the attackers have to make a second attack as another action? Or does the fort get removed as one of the losses and the attacker takes the location?
If the defender in the 'upper' half actually battles and loses, it can no longer withdraw to the 'bottom' half, this option is only available if it chooses to withdraw before combat. Therefore the defenders would have to retreat to another location (if able to) and the fort would be eliminated.

(I think - MARTIN?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

But what happens to the fort? Does it remain and the attackers have to make a second attack as another action? Or does the fort get removed as one of the losses and the attacker takes the location

Defender retreats. There is a fort left in the other half. To me the fort stays and the location remains contested. Of course that’s not an official response. I believe a fort is to considered a non mobile level 3 army unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingo77 wrote:
Movement

A: Yes. All of your armies in the Location take part in Combat.

I do not agree, you have to read which questions Wallace answered to understand the meaning of the answer.

I would like to clarify a passage, in a contesteded area, split in two, if you move troops from another place in your half connected by the railroad, this move is a reinforcement and DOES NOT take any battle.
If in the same turn after the reinforcement action described above, you decide to attack using your second action, first you do not need any movement card, second you need a covered card.

This is a different case from the one in which as first move of the turn one moves troops from another place to the split contested area where there are enemy troops in this case immediately starts the combat (with covered card) but always inside the same first round action. In this case you can decide to select your troops already present in the other part of the contested area and join the battle

I am not sure what your point is? I am going with the more complete of the responses from the designer. Attacking with the armies already present in a contested location is covered by the rules. No movement is required.

I understand and agree with your second paragraph.
I updated the wording to state that the player can decide to combine the already present armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Forts and defeats: The fort is destroyed.
Designer response in this thread.

Frog1 wrote:
1. If the defender is defeated and has a fort then he must destroy the fort. However, this is counted towards the casualties that he must take.

[...]

Hope that is clear.

Martin Wallace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think Martin had the very situation (the fort and armies are in different halves of a location) in mind when he answered the question in the linked thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RAJ
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:

Frog1 wrote:
1. If the defender is defeated and has a fort then he must destroy the fort. However, this is counted towards the casualties that he must take.

[...]

Hope that is clear.

Martin Wallace
This applies when the fort is involved in a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:

Defender retreats. There is a fort left in the other half. To me the fort stays and the location remains contested. Of course that’s not an official response. I believe a fort is to considered a non mobile level 3 army unit

I agree, this would cause a combat between just the fort and the attacker, would it not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Leedguitar wrote:
voynix wrote:

I agree, this would cause a combat between just the fort and the attacker, would it not?

We treat it as not. It’s an ungarrisoned fort that provides defence only when there are units present. Without units it is destroyed. My interpretation of the rules is that a battle difinitively determines who controls the territory but like I said that is my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
voynix wrote:

We treat it as not. It’s an ungarrisoned fort that provides defence only when there are units present. Without units it is destroyed. My interpretation of the rules is that a battle difinitively determines who controls the territory but like I said that is my interpretation.

This is my interpretation also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

My summary of Forts is as follows:
* A Fort can only be built in a location which is in Confederate control and connected to supply lines.
* A Fort must be placed in one of the half-locations (player's choice).
* A Fort cannot be moved.
* More than one Fort may be built in a half-location.
* Each Fort adds +3 defence, if its half-location is attacked by the Union.
* A Fort can defend itself in a battle, even if there are no Confederate Army tokens present.
* A Fort can be counted as a casualty token, but only if the battle takes place in its half-location.
* If Combat causes Confederate retreat or withdrawal out of a location, all remaining Forts are removed from both halves of that location.

Edit:
Miscellaneous edits, following recent designer clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Christianv wrote:
andsymo wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
voynix wrote:

This is my interpretation also.

Yes, Forts are destroyed as a result of a Union combat victory (battle or Confederate withdrawal). But without wishing to sound pedantic, Forts can exist without the company of Army tokens. For example, I could build a Fort in Vicksburg and never put any armies there. That Fort could basically just sit there on its own. It could defend Vicksburg by itself and it would only be removed if the Union took control of Vicksburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

My understanding on Forts is this:
* A Fort can only be built in a location which is Confederate controlled and connected to supply lines.
* A Fort must be placed in one half of the location (Confederate player's choice).
* More than one Fort may be present in a place.
* Each Fort adds +3 defence when its half of the location is attacked by the Union.
* A Fort can defend itself in a combat, even if there are no Confederate army tokens present.
* A Fort can be counted as a casualty when reconciling token losses after combat.
* A Fort is immediately removed if (for whatever reason), its location becomes Union controlled.

Spot on. This nicely sums up the attributes of a Fort.
Although I am not sure how the last bullet can occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
oi_you_nutter wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

* A Fort can only be built in a location which is Confederate controlled and connected to supply lines.
* A Fort must be placed in one half of the location (Confederate player's choice).
* Each Fort adds +3 defence when its half of the location is attacked by the Union.
* A Fort can defend itself in a combat, even if there are no Confederate army tokens present.
* A Fort can be counted as a casualty when reconciling token losses after combat.
* A Fort is immediately removed if (for whatever reason), its location becomes Union controlled.

The circumstance of the last bullet, is a Union combat victory in a location which contains a Fort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
oi_you_nutter wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

The circumstance of the last bullet, is a Union combat victory in a location which contains a Fort.
Although typically the Confed player would choose to take the fort as one of the unit losses from the combat knowing he would lose it anyway after the retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

It is problematic to present the information in this way because it mixes both rules directly from the rule book with some open to interpretation with no differentiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
andsymo wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
voynix wrote:

There is nothing in the rules that require a Fort to be placed or garrisoned by a Confederate army. Where are you seeing such a requirement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |