Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started 3D printing containers to store some cardboard components in, and I'm wondering about the long-term effects of PLA and ABS being in contact with cardboard.

ABS is oil based, and PLA is made from various starches.

So if I'm storing things like cardboard chits or playing cards in these plastics, do I need to worry about discoloration, contact transfer of oils, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a question for your material supplier. Chances are its more due to what additives are in or on the plastic so knowing the type doesn't help too much.

I got some stuff stored in an ABS 3D printed container thats about three years old and its fine. Its a bit anecdotal, but I didn't have a reason to question it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shelton
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same situation with pla parts. have had some in a couple games for several years, no issues that I've been able to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both! That makes me feel a bit better - I've been buying good quality filament from what I can tell so far, so your anecdotes help. I'll do some research on the specific materials just to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this might be a bit of a stretch as I came up empty with googleing (empty might be a good sign that there is no concern though)....Check into what book collectors would say about storing in these plastics. I know comic collectors have sleeves, maybe look into if different plastics were ever a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when doing family scrapbooks or albums, there is concern with preserving papers/photos and the issue is non-acid papers don't age well and transfer their acid to anything touching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually why I thought of it - I used to collect comics and I know it's important to have archival appropriate materials, which I think are acid free and maybe free of some other specific plastics.

But PLA is a different kind of material altogether, and ABS is what Lego are made from, and is generally considered a "safe" plastic.

But after printing both have a semi-oily feel to me - it might just be my imagination though... searching the web doesn't come up with much in this specific regard, so I thought I'd ask around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
But after printing both have a semi-oily feel to me - it might just be my imagination though... searching the web doesn't come up with much in this specific regard, so I thought I'd ask around.

There could be something there, or its just the uniform feel from melted plastic tricking your sense of touch. If there is something there chances are its an oil used to keep the plastic printer friendly. One simple test you can do to prove there is something there is take a printed and cleaned (if you have a secondary process to worry about like getting rid of filler) and let it sit on some cheap paper towel for a day or two. If you see a grease spot where it was sitting then there is something there to be worried about. Unfortunately this is a way to prove something is there NOT to be used to prove nothing is there as its a very basic test. Ask the source, they should know and willingly share what they add as to them it will be a feature to make the printer work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:

There could be something there, or its just the uniform feel from melted plastic tricking your sense of touch. If there is something there chances are its an oil used to keep the plastic printer friendly. One simple test you can do to prove there is something there is take a printed and cleaned (if you have a secondary process to worry about like getting rid of filler) and let it sit on some cheap paper towel for a day or two. If you see a grease spot where it was sitting then there is something there to be worried about. Unfortunately this is a way to prove something is there NOT to be used to prove nothing is there as its a very basic test. Ask the source, they should know and willingly share what they add as to them it will be a feature to make the printer work better.

This is a great idea.

One problem I have is that most of my filiment is from Printrbot, who is now out of business. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get any answers about those. But I'm going to try the paper towel test just to see. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like there is a group trying to handle servicing costumers of printerbot. Try emailing Sales@UbisHotEnds.com and asking them who to ask about material, looks like that contact's goal is to sell replacement components but they should be invested in helping you out.

https://ubishotends.com/

do you have any paperwork or original packaging for your material? That could have info linking back to the actual producer which I doubt was actually printerbot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this link: https://www.3ders.org/articles/20160306-how-fast-does-moistu...

If there is enough moisture to degrade the plastic, the cardboard would be long gone. I don't know if PLA is "archival" grade, but for hobby purposes it is really good with board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.