Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you put up a real tree, or an artificial one for your Christmas Tree at home?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Real, Bought at a store or for-profit pop-up lot.
13.0% 12
Real, Bought from Church or Community Group (e.g. Boy Scouts, Volunteer Fire Dept.)
3.3% 3
Real, Chopped down by myself, woods or DIY lot.
9.8% 9
Varies, Sometimes real, some years artificial.
3.3% 3
Both, I keep a real tree in one place and an artificial one elsewhere in the house.
2.2% 2
Artificial, We have a family member with allergies to Xmas trees.
8.7% 8
Artificial, the old Family tree, It's our tradition.
10.9% 10
Artificial, Much more convenient
44.6% 41
Artificial, Real is a fire hazard!
3.3% 3
Artificial, Does a pyramid of beer cans count as a tree?
1.1% 1
Voters 92
This poll is now closed.   92 answers
Poll created by cooler king
Closes: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:00 am

I just heard a radio program quote a ratio of real:artificial I found dubious. Thought I do a bit of non-scientific research.

edit2: I forgot "No Tree" as an option. sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
artificial. Reasons are allergies, adventurous pets, sadness of a tree getting cut.
our trees are 10 years old and still okay looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My Dad and I were just discussing this last night.

The last time he stepped on a dried pine needle, after having believed they were 100% cleaned up, was the last time he bought a real tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I should not have. But I did laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent my life with cut trees, but after we had children there was one Christmas where a major respiratory issue emerged with one of my girls, ultimately leading to time in the hospital for her.

Reflecting back on what was happening in that period of time I did note how we all felt kind of gross during the holiday, finally I googled and came up with news reports about the massive amount of mold spores that get released as a Christmas tree rots in your house.

Since then we've been using an artificial tree and haven't had any of the symptoms we experienced before. We are going to have to mindful in the coming years about the artificial tree collecting dust and potentially its own kind of mold, but those are manageable compared to what happens when you bring in a dead tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:

edit2: I forgot "No Tree" as an option. sorry

I figured that was the "beer can" response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm amazed that us real-ies are such a minority. Killing a living thing and decorating its corpse is the kind of fun you never get from a pile of wires and plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake plastic trees even though they wear me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real growing up. Can't beat the smell. Artificial post-college because I'm cheap and lazy. Nothing now because of cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone C. Profile
msg tools
Really thought this was going to be a discussion about the origins of trees.

Quote:
How it could have undergone its tremendously complex evolution on a new-born earth in time to leave prints in Archaean rocks was so far beyond conception as to make Lake whimsically recall the primal myths about Great Old Ones who filtered down from the stars and concocted earth-life as a joke or mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My wife's grandparents owned a tree farm and she is now a total tree snob when it comes to real trees. It's easier to put up an artificial tree than to listen to her rant about the failings of real trees not grown by her grandparents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Real, but after putting up this last one I've started to think about going artificial.…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the plastic that my tree is made of petroleum based? And doesn't petroleum come from the massive amounts of decayed organic matter that had been present on the planet since, well, organic history? And aren't trees organic?

My "artificial" tree is real. Sustainable and real. So suck it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw one truck with a Christmas trer. It is such a rarity that it caught my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Artificial, because I don't think real is a legal option here in Japan.

My parents still go and cut down their tree every year from out in the woods somewhere. My mom will find the tree as early as September while out on a hike...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Wow, I'm amazed that us real-ies are such a minority. Killing a living thing and decorating its corpse is the kind of fun you never get from a pile of wires and plastic.

You should see my Christmas badger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My father-in-law owned and ran a plant nursery. My wife, as a girl growing up, sold real trees every December. So we’ll never go fake.

We buy ours at a tree farm outside Cumming, Iowa (town motto: “I ♥ Cumming”), where you get to pick out a specific growing tree in early November and then go back to chop it down in December. Great family fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a fake tree when I was growing up. I don't do holiday decorations as an adult, but if I did I would have a fake tree. They are less of a mess and less of a hassle than a real tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have fond memories of cutting a real tree in the forest as a youth with my dad. It's been all artificial since (allergies in the household). Oh how I miss the smell of a real tree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
SFMF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to a local community garden that received a shipment of trees from a farmer who was closing up shop. Name your price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I notice your poll is missing two options, both of which we have done.

Real, live tree in root sack that you plant.

We did that one year. Now that is a LOT of work. You have to dig the hole early before the ground freezes. and moving that thing in and out of the house is heavy. But no trees are killed by your festivity, and you now have a tree in the yard to remember that particular holiday when you were young, and ambitious, and strong....

What we do now,

Decorate a Norfolk island pine house plant.

You need really light ornaments, but the tree stays all year adding good oxygen and recycling your CO2 for you while you sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Artficial because last time I tried a real tree it had all kinds of bugs in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One day in, and we're about 2/3 artificial. The AP radio story quoted about 75-80% artificial across the country. I still think that's a bit high, although the ~67% number is still higher than I thought.
Since the poll sets my answer as the "correct" answer, I'll answer here.
Real, bought from a BSA lot.

edit: my guess before the poll would be about 60% real, 40% artificial in homes. If businesses are included, I'd think it could reach that 75% figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fowler
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
“The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the law free.” ― Henry David Thoreau
badge
Memento rapinas et latrocinia ante ardere!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grew up with artificial (50% of family w/allergies).

One year started doing this: Put up artificial tree inside, as usual, but also purchased a small (~3 foot or so) Afghan Pine from plant nursery, and planted it in the yard. Afghan Pine was selected for its drought, heat, and poor soil tolerance (lived in area with all three of those conditions).

Here is the first one, some years later; the odd shape is due to antelope coming into the yard and eating everything before the fence was put up:

Here is the tree I put up now; a gift from my Mom, pre-decorated, will fit any location in the house:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.