Popular Tags: [View All]
NC
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I really love this game but I hardly get chance to play it as it is a bit too long for my main rival (the wife) but with Xmas holidays coming I will be dusting it off for a few plays.

So I was wondering whether to buy Rise of the Empire for the improved combat? I probably have not had enough plays to justify needing any other parts of the expansion, but improving the combat will definitely help me keep the wife playing.

Or rather than buying the expansion are there any good mods/variants that improve the combat???

Thanks,

Apologies if this has been discussed to death already but there are a lot posts on this game to search through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the combat? No.

Does it improve combat? Somewhat.

Will the game increase in complexity? Somewhat.

Will the increase in complexity make the game longer? Yes.

Will wife like the game getting longer? No.

But, now for the most important question for any board game forum question regarding whether to buy a product:

Have you got the disposable income and free-time to test (the above) for yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right it's been asked multiple times.

The last time is three posts down from yours with a pretty decent answer.

(My take: The combat is perfectly fine. Someone is free to gift me the expansion though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NC
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
You're right it's been asked multiple times.

The last time is three posts down from yours with a pretty decent answer.

(My take: The combat is perfectly fine. Someone is free to gift me the expansion though.)

Oh dear; I could not see the wood for the trees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NC
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
Just for the combat? No.

Does it improve combat? Somewhat.

Will the game increase in complexity? Somewhat.

Will the increase in complexity make the game longer? Yes.

Will wife like the game getting longer? No.

But, now for the most important question for any board game forum question regarding whether to buy a product:

Have you got the disposable income and free-time to test (the above) for yourself?

Thanks, logical answers help me save money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the expansion - not just for the combat, but for most of the other components as well - but I don't think it will solve your particular problem.

When I first got RotE, the new strategic layer of the Advanced Tactic card mechanic added about a half hour to our average game time. After a few plays, our game time came back down to where it was with just the base game, but it certainly hasn't made it any shorter.

I still highly recommend it because I think it makes the game even more fun, but I don't think it's going to help get it to the table any more often in your situation. I'd suggest finding a new rival, but I suppose that poses its own set of problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't get just updated combat out of the expansion content. The cards depend on new units at very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Dan: I don't really need the extra replayability thing since the game doesn't hit the table often, but the new combat has me interested enough that I ended up getting this. In hindsight, I dislike purely-dice things, and the combat now has just the extra layer of tactics for me to like it muuuuch more.
However I wouldn't say you need the expansion in any way. It's still a game I'll play maybe twice a year :-( so I know it's amongst the lowest return-on-investment I'll get in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
la_guillotine wrote:
I really love this game but I hardly get chance to play it as it is a bit too long for my main rival (the wife)

You might find the thread below (about time savers for SW:R) interesting:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27515416

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K
msg tools
The combat is really the only reason to get this expansion. Everything else just makes the game more unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.