Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the purpose of the five shortage tiles marked "solo 1X" - are we supposed to do something different with those in the setup of the solo game? are they also used in the multiplayer game setup, or removed?

Rulebook doesn't seem to address this, but I have to assume they have some special function and setup rule for the solo game. Please cite rulebook or designer comment in response if possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
What is the purpose of the five shortage tiles marked "solo 1X" - are we supposed to do something different with those in the setup of the solo game? are they also used in the multiplayer game setup, or removed?

Rulebook doesn't seem to address this, but I have to assume they have some special function and setup rule for the solo game. Please cite rulebook or designer comment in response if possible!

Those Shortage Tiles are for locations with no spots for a Customs House and act as one use tiles in the Solo game. There is a mention in the Shortage Tiles Solo section that those types of locations are discarded after being used.

The reason for having those locations be one time use is that the Jeroboam player might keep pulling them out of the bag and take weak turns instead of pulling locations that are networked together. Early on it is fine but as the game goes on those locations waste actions.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:

Those Shortage Tiles are for locations with no spots for a Customs House and act as one use tiles in the Solo game. There is a mention in the Shortage Tiles Solo section that those types of locations are discarded after being used.

The reason for having those locations be one time use is that the Jeroboam player might keep pulling them out of the bag and take weak turns instead of pulling locations that are networked together. Early on it is fine but as the game goes on those locations waste actions.

Hope that helps!

Ah, I see. The text is for in-play reference, not setup. Got it. Thanks! Fun game by the way. Are there any variants to increase solo difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

Ah, I see. The text is for in-play reference, not setup. Got it. Thanks! Fun game by the way. Are there any variants to increase solo difficulty?

One easy tweak is to change the value of Jeroboam's resources at the end of the game. Originally, when solo mode was being designed, resources were not worth anything to Jeroboam. You can play it that way for an easier game. On the other hand, if you want a slightly more difficult game you can make the resources worth a point each at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:

One easy tweak is to change the value of Jeroboam's resources at the end of the game. Originally, when solo mode was being designed, resources were not worth anything to Jeroboam. You can play it that way for an easier game. On the other hand, if you want a slightly more difficult game you can make the resources worth a point each at the end of the game.

Thanks, I'll try that. It wasn't a total blowout (30 point margin victory at final score) but Jeroboam did have soooo many wasted turns where he drew a shortage tile, and received nothing but a single resource (drew spaces not connected to his network.) When Jeroboam doesn't go to the Foreman much in the first few rounds (and thus has an underdeveloped network, as was the case here) his late game turns seem to be dramatically weak.

I was considering giving Jeroboam a Customs House and Road build on a shortage tile draw if there is a slot available and he hasn't already built at least one Customs House that round.

This may accelerate the game end too much in some cases though (when Jeroboam does go to the Foreman frequently)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. It wasn't a total blowout (30 point margin victory at final score) but Jeroboam did have soooo many wasted turns where he drew a shortage tile, and received nothing but a single resource (drew spaces not connected to his network.) When Jeroboam doesn't go to the Foreman much in the first few rounds (and thus has an underdeveloped network, as was the case here) his late game turns seem to be dramatically weak.

I was considering giving Jeroboam a Customs House and Road build on a shortage tile draw if there is a slot available and he hasn't already built at least one Customs House that round.

This may accelerate the game end too much in some cases though (when Jeroboam does go to the Foreman frequently)

Thoughts?

You might have just had a bad (or good?) break with the tile draw. Six of the 15 Location tiles are not in the bag since they are used for Shortages, and five of the 15 Location tiles are one time use (could be overlap with the two though). Normally by the end of the game Jeroboam is not pulling too many tiles without a Customs House on it. He will still pull single Locations in the game but his Action bonuses will normally balance out his bad decisions.

If you want to encourage more Customs House developments, you can have his first tile draw always be the Foreman action which would be reasonable most of the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.