Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is going to be a bit of a different kind of post than most of you will probably see on this game but it is something I feel it is important on this day to post as it was a year in the making. Sadly, not in a good way but hopefully at the end of this post it will be a hopeful one.

What today marks a year today was the passing of my mother, Flory Maria Schuber. Her death was due to complications of her ALS disease (AKA Lou Gehrig's disease) . I won't go into too much of the disease itself but let me just say it is very rare to catch and unfortunately she even got a rarer form of it (called Bulbar ALS). I will leave a link below for those of you that are curious/have no knowledge of what ALS is:

http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

She was diagnosed with it officially back in late December 2016 though she had signs of it affecting her since as far back as late 2014. The big sign was her slowing losing her ability to use her voice, first starting as clearing her throat and end result of her only being able to make grunts.

2017 was the roughest year of my life, as well as for the rest of my family, as we tried our best to take of her as she slowly began to deteriorate and we even needed to have her enrolled in Hospice to give us the help we needed. Then on the morning of December 11th, ironically after my sister and brother-in-law left after visiting us, my father and I found her motionless on my parents bed. She was 70 years old.

My mother was one of the most kind; humble and selfless persons the world would ever have and she was full of life and vigor. She would have easily lived on many years had she not have this unfortunate disease afflicted her.

One of the big things that helped me through this horrible time in my life though was my recent interest in board gaming and Terraforming Mars in particular which is what I am leading into on this post. I heard about the contest of designing a Corp for the game and I felt what better way to honor her memory than to design a Corp around what she was about and have her immortalize her in my personal favorite board game.

I sadly didn't get past the first round of choices but I know a few people liked it at least here on BGG. I actually then redesigned it recently and after a few attempts to make a custom Corp card myself I feel I got it just about as good as I will get it:

I know that the image quality may not be the best so I will break down the parts of the Corp card, which the name of it is called "Flora & Fauna Industries".

Flora & Fauna Industries: This is a take on both my mother's actual name, Flora, which was named to Flory when she immigrated to US from Costa Rica but also because of her love for both gardens and animals.

Tags: Since this Corp's headquarters I feel would be from Earth and also would have knowledge in both plants and animals these tags would be very much in line with F&F's strengths as a Corp.

Black outline pic and watermark background : This again plays on the theme of my mother loving gardens and animals but particularly growing up with chickens when she was a child.

Starting bonuses with 47 MC and placing two greenery tiles: Using 47 as the starting amount was a reference to my mom's birth year (1947) and being able to place two greenery tiles embodies that F&F want to get their gardens in on Mars first and that I have not seen any other Corp have this kind of ability.

Effect abilities: Playing into how lovely and beautiful the greenery tiles F&F produce they get an extra VP so you get 2 VP instead of the standard 1 VP. Also, with all the great love and care F&F's animals get that their superiority will get you a 1 VP per animal card you have out.

Flavor Text: This referencing my mom's actual birthday (except the year) September 17th. Though in keeping with her birth year instead of 1947 I made it 2047 to keep F&F futuristic feel but also to have a long standing existence in the far future and its expansion into Mars helped in increasing tourism to the planet. Below I'll type out the text in case you cannot fully see it.

Established in September 17, 2047 Flora And Fauna Industries famous for its flourishing Earth gardens and animals caused a huge spike in tourism to Mars when word spread that they would expand their operations to the red planet.

And their you have it! I want to thank you all that read this post and also to Print and Play games for making the best version of these Corp cards and working with me on getting them just about right. Also, if any of you are interested in getting one of these cards I do have 15 extra copies. All you have to do is ask, no money or anything. They may not have the best text or visuals but that is only because I had to downgrade it into a JPEG image but honestly if you sleeve it you'll hardly notice the difference.

All I ask, and this is 100% option, is to look at the link and at the bottom at least consider making a donation to the ALSA. The donations will help funds and hopefully find a cure for all of ALS so that in the future no one will suffer from this disease any longer.

Thank you again to all that read this.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
A beautiful tribute to your mother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Niko wrote:
A beautiful tribute to your mother.

Thank you, Niko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Romero

Tegucigalpa
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! It's nice to see how you related each element to your mom.

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, this is a sign that this is a community that goes beyond the dice, cards and meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mrdaveromero wrote:
Well done! It's nice to see how you related each element to your mom.

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, this is a sign that this is a community that goes beyond the dice, cards and meeples.

Thank you, Dave! That is exactly what I was trying to get out of the Corp and I'm happy that you and others have seen that.

And I fully agree, this community is beyond just the bits and boxes of the games but also stories of the people that play them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post hits home for me because my father-in-law has ALS. It's a horrible disease and I encourage people to donate and help the effort of finding a cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
mbmbmbmb
Niko said it best: a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing this touching story with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome story... it definitely gave me the feels.
The corp feels overpowered, but hey, life should feel overpowered too!

You have my toughts my dear tm friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help, but feel your pain.

My mother who I loved to board game with (or anything else really) died at the age of just 54. 10 months ago.

I will not tell you to "stay strong" because I know how pointless that sometimes is. A beautiful way to tribute her life. I was thinking of doing something like that too soon with some of the games we played together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
This post hits home for me because my father-in-law has ALS. It's a horrible disease and I encourage people to donate and help the effort of finding a cure.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Bryan. It is very much a horrible disease and yes, hopefully more people will keep donating and find that elusive cure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
Niko said it best: a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing this touching story with us.

You're welcome Pete. I feel this is also a therapeutic way to help deal with my mother's death, by both making the Corp card and telling the story. It helps that everyone that has posted a reply has been nothing but extremely kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
Awesome story... it definitely gave me the feels.
The corp feels overpowered, but hey, life should feel overpowered too!

You have my toughts my dear tm friend.

Yes I might agree that it is a bit OP (will need to test it out) but hey, only the best for our moms, right?! And I thank you for your thoughts, fellow TM friend and fan, RyuSora!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
I can't help, but feel your pain.

My mother who I loved to board game with (or anything else really) died at the age of just 54. 10 months ago.

I will not tell you to "stay strong" because I know how pointless that sometimes is. A beautiful way to tribute her life. I was thinking of doing something like that too soon with some of the games we played together.

Oh wow...much too young for her to lose her life. I'm really sorry to hear that, Max . Though I know you will only have good thoughts about all the great times you had with her be it board gaming or other fun activities. I hope that you will be inspired to create something that will honor her memory. Also, thank you for your kindness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HEART
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
HEART

Thank you, Noel Love your icon as well! (Cowboy Bebop fan here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvelous tribute that not only brings out the best aspects of gaming but also cements the memory of your mother in a very creative and memorable way. Thank you for sharing this with us.

If in your playtesting you do find that the corp is too OP, I recommend testing out one of the following effects
1 Cities have a negative VP bonus at the end (e.g. if the penalty were -2, then a city with 6 forests around it would score 4 points instead of 6)
2 Cities or Forest tiles cost F&F more to build
3 Some other production penalty.

Given how specific everything on this card fits your mother I don't think any of that should change. But adding some type of buffer could help if it feels unbalanced after multiple plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jonathan68 wrote:
Marvelous tribute that not only brings out the best aspects of gaming but also cements the memory of your mother in a very creative and memorable way. Thank you for sharing this with us.

If in your playtesting you do find that the corp is too OP, I recommend testing out one of the following effects
1 Cities have a negative VP bonus at the end (e.g. if the penalty were -2, then a city with 6 forests around it would score 4 points instead of 6)
2 Cities or Forest tiles cost F&F more to build
3 Some other production penalty.

Given how specific everything on this card fits your mother I don't think any of that should change. But adding some type of buffer could help if it feels unbalanced after multiple plays

Thank you for your kind words and balance suggestions, Jonathan!! I will for sure look into tweaking the card's balance when I do some solo play-throughs in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally could think of no better way to be honored after my passing than for a loved one to commemorate me in a passion that helped them deal with my final days. From pain comes beauty. Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:
I personally could think of no better way to be honored after my passing than for a loved one to commemorate me in a passion that helped them deal with my final days. From pain comes beauty. Bravo!

Thank you, Ken! And I feel that way as well. When you are dealing with a heavy loss of a loved one I believe that you should try and express the love you had for them with something you are passionate about so I felt this is the best way I could have done it. And honestly I think she would have loved this as well even if she wasn't that much into tabletop gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful tribute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xaykev wrote:
Beautiful tribute!

Thank you, Xaykev!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
msg tools
You should balance the card, print it and sell it with all profits going to ALS research! There are plenty of printers out there that if you contacted them, may give you a deal since its non-profit.

I'd be honored to buy the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ricker
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rolaids24 wrote:
You should balance the card, print it and sell it with all profits going to ALS research! There are plenty of printers out there that if you contacted them, may give you a deal since its non-profit.

It would be my honor to buy the second one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ricker wrote:
rolaids24 wrote:

That is a great idea you have there, Jason and John! I actually hope to do that in the near future. I'd really like it to get professionally done as well because even though I did get the initial version printed out just fine I can see it was still pretty low-res. So if anyone has any place they can suggest that can make the re-balanced version look as good as the Corps in the game, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ricker
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neojames82 wrote:
Ricker wrote:
rolaids24 wrote:

That is a great idea you have there, Jason and John! I actually hope to do that in the near future. I'd really like it to get professionally done as well because even though I did get the initial version printed out just fine I can see it was still pretty low-res. So if anyone has any place they can suggest that can make the re-balanced version look as good as the Corps in the game, please let me know!

I would have to recommend Eric Royer, I think he got the "Pathfinder 2" art ready for printing
eric royer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and recommended getting them printed at myplayingcards.com (which I'm using now to have my Pathfinder 2 expansion printed).
Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.