Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: What are you thinking about the monster miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
I pledged the core game, but I am very tempted from the monster miniatures too.
Unluckily the difference in price is not so low...what's more they are not really necessary to the gameplay.

I would like to know thoughts from other gamers about this and what they decided..
Thanks for every comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Uusitalo
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
You aren't meant to be here.
badge
Go along now.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love minis. Just not for this game I don't see the need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:
Hi,
I pledged the core game, but I am very tempted from the monster miniatures too.
Unluckily the difference in price is not so low...what's more they are not really necessary to the gameplay.

I would like to know thoughts from other gamers about this and what they decided..
Thanks for every comment

I originally pledged at the base rate, and figured I could live without the miniatures. I'm not one to display them, paint them or care much about them (hell, they could just be colored cubes for all I cared).

... however, the more jazzed I became about this system, the more I decided it wouldn't be a bad option:

1. If it is true that the box won't come to retail, I can flip it easy enough post fulfillment. In fact, it might even make selling the entire game more attractive if it just doesn't resonate (unlikely, but only time will tell).

2. The sculptures are actually quite nice. Aesthetically, if the end products look like the images we've been presented, they're fairly gorgeous.

3. The real clincher was watching the Ready Steady Play through, and finally getting to see what the alternative would be (i.e. what guardian cards moving around on the location cards looked like). This is subjective, but the size of the guardian cards just made the experience seem clunky, especially if moving into a crowded location. Location details are already prone to being obscured by character bases, so having a massive card sitting there as well just felt... off.. especially knowing I had an alternative.

Like I said, #3 could easily be two matching colored beads (one placed on the guardian card to mark it as "green," for example, and the other being on the board)... but I've decided that will be plan B if the sculps disappoint.

Oh, and

4. Every little bit helps in terms of hitting stretch goals. In a way, the extra money I spent can be viewed as a donation to hitting said goals, with a freebie miniature set tossed into the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only did I pledge for the minis, but I intend to pay for the fully painted version they've mentioned will be available in the manager.

I actually paint minis, but my queue is so long right now that I always opt for pre-paints if given the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that they are all unique sculpts and that they tried to find unique monsters that due not occur frequently in games. The style of the minis is also different from anything that I currently have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a wait and see to find out what other add-ons will be available. There may be something I want desperately more than the monsters and I have a target max amount I want to keep under.....

The monsters can always be replaced by standees, but a new campaign (for example) may be better money spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to keep in mind also ...

Awaken Realms mentioned that they would consider making a pdf file of monster art so people could print their own standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, £2 per miniature is not a lot. Loose minis easily cost 5 euro a piece.
There are a lot of quite big ones among them as well.

For the rest they are immersive. And I paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are all unique sculpts and are ~50 mm in size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
I am currently pledging for the minis however I am considering dropping back down to the core pledge and wait till I see true shipping costs in the PM. It really all depends on this months budget when the campaign is due to close. That small holiday around Xmas and new year will take priority budget wise over a minis expansion that is not a requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Not only did I pledge for the minis, but I intend to pay for the fully painted version they've mentioned will be available in the manager.

Aw, nuts - I'm interested, but I paid for the fully painted Nemesis mini's and wanted to see them before committing to more of this from AR. I'm sure they'll look great, but due diligence, you understand. I didn't know they mentioned this would be an option, thanks for mentioning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be very interested in the Sundrop version of the monsters expansion. I've received the Nemesis core box, and the aliens sculpts are quite good. I regret not Sundropping that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, they gave me a lot to think about.
It is true it is not nice at all to have monster cards travelling on the "board" and the monster miniatures appears to be really good. It is also true the difference in price is not so low and I will not make them to paint, I think. Perhaps I will put myself to paint them, but I have to see videos..and learn from more expert people.
We do not own games with miniatures at the moment except Tau cetilanetary crisis (really good spaceship miniatures, whatever the rating says in BGG, it is a funny sandbox game), surely we do not have any monster miniature.
I will wait a bit before to decide, but I want to do it before the end of the campaign at least if I will pledge them, it will be useful for the other SG (except if they are all unlocked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.