Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon» Forums » General

Subject: Poll: Monster Miniatures expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've gotten at least two posts regarding peoples opinion on the optional miniatures expansion (£40 / $50 USD more than the Core pledge), but neither has a poll to gather data. So, I thought I would create one so that we can get a sense on what everyone's thoughts are.

Poll
Are you planning on buying the optional Monsters of Avalon Miniatures Expansion (Excalibur Pledge)?
  Yes No Vote Count
I'm paying for the miniatures 55.2% (198) 44.8% (161) 359
I'm certain I'll not change my mind 57.0% (187) 43.0% (141) 328
Total Voters 368
This poll is now closed.   368 answers
Poll created by SaintHax
Closes: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 am


And, for a more detailed look at where people are, please vote in this format.
Poll
To make the above data more granular. Which pair were you?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes - I'm almost certain I'm getting the miniatures
36.3% 118
Yes - I'm currently getting them, but considering skipping them
13.5% 44
No - I'm currently not getting them, but considering
23.7% 77
No - I'm almost certainly skipping the miniatures
26.5% 86
Voters 325
This poll is now closed.   325 answers
Poll created by SaintHax
Closes: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:00 am


feel free to thumbs up the post, maybe we can reduce repeats :-)
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said in another thread, the alternative would be to use colored beads (in pairs; one on the card, and another on the board to keep the relationship clear). The cards shown in the prototype are just too damn big to be usable, imho.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charl van Niekerk
Canada
Wainfleet
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
What about miniature miniatures? Like the size of the characters minis? Something with a lower price point... I'd consider that over cubes on one hand, and the amazingly-nice-detailed-and-over-sized-but-expensive-for-me current miniatures.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Like I said in another thread, the alternative would be to use colored beads (in pairs; one on the card, and another on the board to keep the relationship clear). The cards shown in the prototype are just too damn big to be usable, imho.


Or one could also buy the Tzolk'in skull tokens from the BGG store and paint them into colored pairs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That poll is hard to get useful information from. Is it:
* half of the people are getting the minis and confident about it and the other half not planning to get them but considering changing their mind, or
* half of the people tentatively planning to get the minis and the other half certain they won't, or
* some mix of those two?

You might have been better off giving four choices:
* Definitely buying the minis
* Currently planning to buy them but wavering
* Currently leaning against buying them but wavering
* Definitely not buying the minis

Minor quibble: the cost of the minis are £40/$50, not £50/$50.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCoolDaddy1 wrote:
What about miniature miniatures? Like the size of the characters minis? Something with a lower price point... I'd consider that over cubes on one hand, and the amazingly-nice-detailed-and-over-sized-but-expensive-for-me current miniatures.


Well, there's 20 miniatures. I didn't like some of the art direction so I started looking at alternatives on a 40mm base-- way to expensive. For standard ~25mm base figures, you are going to have a hard time matching art, and the cheapest you can hope for is about $3 per mini. So, for all 20, that's $60 ($10 more than the expansion).

For $10 you can get 100 meeples though. Generic, 10 different colors, reusable for other games. And for $5 you can get a dozen or so pawns.

edit: fixed the typo in the cost above OP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
You might have been better off giving four choices:
* Definitely buying the minis
* Currently planning to buy them but wavering
* Currently leaning against buying them but wavering
* Definitely not buying the minis

Minor quibble: the cost of the minis are £40/$50, not £50/$50.


Thought about it, except the you can't just glance at "yes% and no%". I'll add a second poll and just hope people are willing to answer twice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Hebden
msg tools
Currently I'm grabbing the minis but I'm completely dependent on the price of the two unannounced add-ons and their content.

My suspicion is that I'll ditch the minis for the two add-ons as they're likely to be better value (the whole gameplay trumps glitter argument). But I'll look at those minis continuously and feel the feels at not having them!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted in another thread a different solution: Paper Figure Stands

This is something I will be getting instead of cubes, because as great as the minis look I am just not a fan of minis in general, and if they don't add to the gameplay then they are just taking up space
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ortiz
msg tools
You know you get the miniatures pack for free in the excalibur pledge right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By free, you mean $50 more than the base pledge is what they are talking about. The only thing that I have seen that comes with the excalibur pledge is the monster miniatures.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ortiz
msg tools
Exactly. But is worded as if you had to pay over the actual excalibur pledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin JEANNE
msg tools
Not currently taking the monsters box, but I will probably re-evaluate my stance once I have confirmation that the content is exhaustive for the guardians encounters in the game and that the existence of guardians without minis like the Bandits Highwaymen is just a demo leftover that will be corrected for the final game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently getting the miniatures but I'll drop them for an add-on that adds real gameplay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting the minis provided I end up backing the game. I'm still on the fence as to whether I back it or not. If I do back it, I'm all in though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny poll results if you see that the number of yes to minis: no to minis on the KS is approx 2:1.

mfaulk80 wrote:
I'm getting the minis provided I end up backing the game. I'm still on the fence as to whether I back it or not. If I do back it, I'm all in though.

Same here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monly wrote:
Exactly. But is worded as if you had to pay over the actual excalibur pledge.

The only difference between the Core pledge and the Excalibur pledge is the monster expansion. So yes, the monster expansion adds $50 to the cost. At least when bundled; it may well be more if purchased as an add-on...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Wahlström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So what is actually in the expansion?
Is that new enemies you can encounter, or are they minis representing enemies already in the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geggamojja wrote:
So what is actually in the expansion?
Is that new enemies you can encounter, or are they minis representing enemies already in the game?


It's miniatures representing the Guardian encounters in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geggamojja wrote:
So what is actually in the expansion?
Is that new enemies you can encounter, or are they minis representing enemies already in the game?


To expand on the clarification above, it's mainly a cosmetic addition. However, it's worth suggesting you watch a playthrough that brings one of those onto the board, as the prototype reviewers were given only the card based versions of the guardians (i.e. what you'll get at the cheaper pricing tier), and you can decide for yourself whether the lack of miniatures is a dealbreaker.

I originally backed at the cheaper price (I couldn't give two shits about miniatures normally), but upped my pledge due to two issue:

1. After seeing the cards in play, I just didn't like the implementation. The cards are too big, and lay too flat - it's hard to see them at a glance, and they cover up too much of the location text for my tastes (plus it looked clunky moving a big card around, especially when entering already crowded cards).

2. Figured it would help unlock stretch goals if I contributed more.

Lastly, if they keep their word and decide to NOT bring the expansion to retail, then I'd likely be able to flip it for the amount I paid if I ultimately decide it was a needless expense. And, hell, if I hate the game all together (unlikely but possible), having the expansion will make my copy more attractive on the resell market.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Wahlström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks you for the clarification!

I only backed the base game so far... might change my mind. Saying this looking at a kiloton of Shadows of Brimstone miniatures.... gah!
Mainly the space everything will take to store, that makes me hesitate going for the extra minis ;-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Babel
msg tools
mbmb
Just using cards is how The Arkham Horror card game works and its fine there. So unless between now and when they close the PM, there's a compelling video with some of the extra models to show how much more immersive and exciting the game is I'll certainly pass. I'm actually surprised by the number of people that are including it in there pledges.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swgbabel wrote:
Just using cards is how The Arkham Horror card game works and its fine there. So unless between now and when they close the PM, there's a compelling video with some of the extra models to show how much more immersive and exciting the game is I'll certainly pass. I'm actually surprised by the number of people that are including it in there pledges.


Figured somebody would say that.

The devil is in the details: Arkham's cards are of size X and the tiles/spaces are of size Y. Tainted Grail's cards are larger, and the tiles/spaces are shaped differently, with more obscurable content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
The devil is in the details: Arkham's cards are of size X and the tiles/spaces are of size Y. Tainted Grail's cards are larger, and the tiles/spaces are shaped differently, with more obscurable content.


Until AR's QA on miniatures is better (the soldier from "Nemesis" has been horrible on 4 different unboxings I've watched), I'm on the fence about the expansion. They normally do the larger models pretty good.

Instead, I'm just going to use cheap colored pawns-- one on the creature card, a matching one on the location card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
The devil is in the details: Arkham's cards are of size X and the tiles/spaces are of size Y. Tainted Grail's cards are larger, and the tiles/spaces are shaped differently, with more obscurable content.


Until AR's QA on miniatures is better (the soldier from "Nemesis" has been horrible on 4 different unboxings I've watched), I'm on the fence about the expansion. They normally do the larger models pretty good.

Instead, I'm just going to use cheap colored pawns-- one on the creature card, a matching one on the location card.

AR has also announced that they will replace those soldiers. What more do you want from them?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.