Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar» Forums » General

Subject: Any news on the Broken Token storage solution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious if anyone had heard anything on this. I am curious to see what they come up with. I've held off on trying to put my Crimson Cutlass together until I can get something better to store it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been talk about this solution, but I don’t see how it is possible aside from them releasing an entire new box for the game. And at that point, is there really a worthy profit margin on their end contemplating how much they would probably charge and the demand at that price point?
As a side note, the Kickstarter explanation for Reboxing that everyone is directed to is flawed in multiple aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Besides imagining the Broken Token solution(s). It makes me wonder what a non-KS Backer or BGG User does with even just the base game?!

I used a bunch of extra Star Wars X-wing Miniatures game plastic ziplocs of various dimensions and thicknesses last night in my first attempt to rebox it. It worked fine. I may share photos or a video later. But I kept the punchboard sheet so I pressed the Scrims and Catlaclysm tracker back into place at the bottom of the box. I put the marbles on the left front side. I kept the tissue paper so I put one on the bottom and one in between the Scar and Summit trays. The Scar and Beach fit well enough together I don't anticipate scratching. I admittedly go overboard using smaller bags inside of larger ones. however it keeps components from moving around. I will have to sticker label the bags.

And This is the type of game you can't make a foam core solution to that would fit in the box. even if you were to mimic a Broken Token design.

I think it's a good thing the box has sides that bow to accommodate the reboxing. The components were very close to flush with the top when the box top was back on. Now I'll see how long it takes to unbox and rebox again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmparker wrote:
As a side note, the Kickstarter explanation for Reboxing that everyone is directed to is flawed in multiple aspects.

And in what ways would that be? It works just fine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Everyone out there is free to want an alternative storage system, or to dislike the box that came with the game.

Anyone who insists the box that shipped is defective, or its impossible to get the game back in, is at best flagrantly misrepresentative and at worst a liar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
apotheos wrote:
Everyone out there is free to want an alternative storage system, or to dislike the box that came with the game.

Anyone who insists the box that shipped is defective, or its impossible to get the game back in, is at best flagrantly misrepresentative and at worst a liar.

No judge. No Jury. Straight to Execution! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmparker wrote:
There has been talk about this solution, but I don’t see how it is possible aside from them releasing an entire new box for the game. And at that point, is there really a worthy profit margin on their end contemplating how much they would probably charge and the demand at that price point?

I think it may be possible to use a 3rd party insert with the existing box if you don't mind the insert raising the box lid possibly a couple (or maybe a few?) inches. There could be a covered tray on the bottom that holds all the tokens, marbles and smaller game pieces. Then the island trays could sit on top of that with the box lid covering it. Aesthetically speaking, I don't know how well that would go over. And of course it doesn't solve the main issue for many people who don't like box itself. But it could possibly work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rapson
United States
Fridley
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the box is bad enough or expect a BT insert to be good enough for me to want buy it. There is definitely no chance I am buying a $100-$200 storage crate for the game. I own a number of BT inserts but I think the crates look bad and cost too much. I doubt that they will make one that fits in the box - not enough room and then they would be stepping into the box mess. I don't even want to see the backlash that will follow a solution that introduces lid lift.

Two things that would be neat:
- In general, I want to see BT do crates that have cutout tops that the original lid fits into. That way the crates can have decent art.

- The only solution that isn't going to get a meh from the community is a legendary box + BT crate (something like Scythe's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Not only is this statement magniloquent and antagonistic, but contextually misleading. Not a single person has sincerely made these claims. The game clearly fits in the box that it came in. Some ways work better than others but it obviously is, at least to some degree, an issue for some people. After playing this game with a 7 year old, ask them to put it away and see what happens. {FBI: the curse of Vul-Kar ages 7+} Sorry to upset you, not everyone dislikes the box you chose for this game. arrrh

!!!!VUL-KAR!!!!
~~~~sauron~~~~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Not a single person has sincerely made these claims.

I have definitely observed the opposite, and made the statement so clearly as I felt there was a reasonable likelihood we were drifting there in this thread.

This issue has caused some people to lose their mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to answer my originally intended question... no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No word yet. You can put the cutlass together for play, just don’t push the bottom support piece under the board in ALL the way so it will be easier to take apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think the box is kinda junk but not enough to do anything about it. Building a crate would kinda be cool though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick drago
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmparker wrote:

Not only is this statement magniloquent and antagonistic, but contextually misleading. Not a single person has sincerely made these claims.

People definitely made this argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one in this thread ever even came close to using the words IMPOSSIBLE or DEFECTIVE. I am a super-fan Of the original and have followed the rerelease closely and I have never heard those words used.
I personally dislike the new box construction, but the original was even worse as far as quality goes. I like the new art, but I liked the original art better.

The box size is a Goldie locks paradox. To big to comfortably fit on my shelf and barely big enough for storage, but it does work fine without any Bowing or expanding if done “just right”, but the box itself is not just right. I have to store it sideways on top of smaller (stronger boxes).
I have seen the strength tests but do not trust it to support much weight long term.

If the box Bows when loading it up, when the box cover goes on, it is then compressing things in order to close. Warping Of parts will occur over time (and my board was already warped at unboxing). I found it best to take the side panels apart, and place them and the tracker, flat on the bottom of the box, this and a careful placement of vulkar will eliminate box bowing and make putting everything away so much easier and less frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman
msg tools
So just FYI, if you go to broken tokens website they sell a wooden maw and hello copter accessory for fireball island. I say this because in the corner of the banner image where these items are advertised there is an image of a fireball island storage crate coming "early 2019"

I also read in a different post in this forum earlier that broken token did mention they planned to release a crate that holds everything.

so yes, it seems there will be a broken token storage solution and it will be a full crate not just an insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Ruahrc wrote:
So just FYI, if you go to broken tokens website they sell a wooden maw and hello copter accessory for fireball island. I say this because in the corner of the banner image where these items are advertised there is an image of a fireball island storage crate coming "early 2019"

I also read in a different post in this forum earlier that broken token did mention they planned to release a crate that holds everything.

so yes, it seems there will be a broken token storage solution and it will be a full crate not just an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's cool.

I wouldn't feel the need for 'upgraded' Hello-Copter and Maw. The colorful solid material ones that came with the game look better and very sturdy. I guess BT just wanted something FBI branded out there because the game just came out so they could get some attention and interest in the FBI 'crate' as they're calling it which will show up later.

I would imagine the crate will be well done. I don't feel the need to buy it personally but after bagging all my components with X-wing miniatures bags rather nicely I can still see how the crate with compartments would make components easier to grab and setup for those looking for that solution.

I would wonder how much gamers are willing to pay including shipping for an FBI Broken Token crate?

Based on their many previous solutions for different games we can kind of gage what that might be.

P.S. Ironically I made my new BGG avatar from the excellent colorful FBI box top art. It's fun how she's looking at the posts sauron

Which brings up another question. Would players who buy the BT crate throw out their FBI box? Or just put other stuff of any kind for any game or 'cat trap boxes ' (cats love boxes) in it that doesn't need to be accessed often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the crates Broken Token makes so I envision I'll be getting this one. My hope is that it can appropriately accommodate the Crimson Cutlass expansion. That's all I'm asking. I have no doubt about it storing anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much $?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They don't list it on their site yet. But this is Broken Token's Fireball Island Product Page:

https://www.thebrokentoken.com/browse-by-game/230

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I was hoping they'd show, but didn't was the crate could store the Crimson Cutlass board with the crow's nest base assembled. It looks like there is room, but I'd wait until that was confirmed. What does everyone else think (aside from cost) about the organizer Broken Token designed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Clark
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will this be available for preorder or actually purchase? The Broken Token is currently running a sale and I would love to jump on it now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas O'Connell
United States
California
flag msg tools
backers just got email, the crate is live now.
https://www.thebrokentoken.com/fireball-island-game-crate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.