Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik B
Germany
München
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the first mission with 2 players, 1 Character each.
A couple of questions came up.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. We repaired all the engines, sent the signal but couldn't reach the hibernatorium in time before the marines would have arrived. We voted for take off, both died (pilot and mechanic). Went to ending 1.
Is this a legal move? Do we draw new chars at the beginning of mission 2?

2. How is this even doable for 2 players in this short time? Did someone succeed and survived?

3. Why two marine squads? If they reach the hibernatorium game is over anyway.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toto
Croatia
Zagreb
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case u are not playing correctly.
Pilot is 1st and he plays 2 actions,than mechanic play 2 actions, than pilot again play 2 actions, than mechanic again until u don't have any more cards to play or pass.so u can have 5 move actions each in one phase.should be enough to do everything easy,especially with mechanic(he can use technical corridors and get to engine rooms fast),was pretty easy for me.
You may spend all your cards during a turn, dividing them up into 2 actions per round. You get to do 2 actions multiple times per turn. Only after everyone has passed, the end phase starts and the turnmarker advances.

If u both die i think u need to start again,no one made it.Will check when im at home,working atm.
Sry for grammar :-)

page 11 general rules : Note: This also means that escaping (or self-destructing) the ship immediately ends the campaign in failure,unless the mission task asked you to do that.

page 19 completing mission: Put the ending 1 token and the story-trigered token on the hibernatorium any char outside the hibernatorium are killed on take off.
So as i see it someone needs to be in hibernatorim to trigger take off to trigger story token,u need to be alive as u can see on ending 1 comic if u both dead start campaign again
As for marines,i guess its just for bigger man power and that noone can slip away or something like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik B
Germany
München
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We moved fairly offen an fast, but rooms with the story triggered events slowed us down, gave us injuries, that reduced the Hand limit to 4 for the pilot.
Also the mechanic has to pass everytime he uses the ventilation system.

Maybe we had some bad luck, but we found it quite difficult to achieve if you don't know what to expect and if you don't know how many you actually have legt. This is also something that annoys me in mansions of madness for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toto
Croatia
Zagreb
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
we found it quite difficult to achieve if you don't know what to expect

That is what makes it fun,if i knew what to expect it would not be fun.
Abandoned ship in space ,ofc u don't know what to expect
Setting up mission tells u alot,especialy explore tokens ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik B
Germany
München
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The explore tokens only point to story events in the comic and that we didn't read before we played it.

I am not sure if the campaign scales well with 2 players. But we will try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toto
Croatia
Zagreb
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pnopf wrote:
The explore tokens only point to story events in the comic and that we didn't read before we played it.

I am not sure if the campaign scales well with 2 players. But we will try again.

When u setup explorer tokens u see amount and what are tokens...if u have 3 door explorer tokens u know that u have to save door open action and so on...
ofc u don't look at events but u know what to expect after 1 event revealed and scaling has nothing to do with it ,its easy u just don't do something right.

BTW i play with 2 chars Scout and Mechanic and i am on 3rd mission.
1st is a easy one,2nd was hell for me,barley made it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I tried this five times (solo play) with two characters and didn't succeed even once. I think theoretically you have enough cards to do it (see my workings below in the spoiler section) but only if you have either some very good luck with your card draw and the placement of the exploration tokens.

Or I'm playing it wrong somehow, and made a silly misread of the instructions. But I've reread the instructions a bunch of times and I can't see where I'm going wrong.

It is of course harder with two players, which is why they give you an extra turn to complete the mission. And no, there doesn't seem to be any point in having the two squads of marines.

Anyway here are my workings:

First thing is to determine the number of turns. Event six is triggered in the event phase of turn 3, and says "At the start of each turn move the Marine Squad one room" which is our end of game timer.

So at the start of turn 4 they immediately move one room, before the players have done anything, meaning the players now only have two additional turns before the game ends in a loss. So we have five turns in total to complete all tasks and return to the Hibernatorium.

So two players draw five cards each a turn, five turns each gives 25 cards each, 50 cards to complete the game.

Making the assumption that one player fixes two engines and one player fixes one engine, repairs the malfunction in the Comms room, and sends the signal (which seemed the most even distribution of work) by my count you need to play the following cards to win and survive:

Player 1:

Move 12 times (12 of any card)
Open two doors (2 x Demolition)
Repair two engines (2 x Basic Repairs, plus 4 of any card as discard cost)

Total: 20 cards

Player 2:

Move 10 times (10 of any card)
Open one doors (1 x Demolition)
Repair one engines (1 x Basic Repairs, plus 2 of any card as discard cost)
Repair malfunction in comms room (1x Basic Repairs, plus 2 of any card as discard cost)
Send comms (any two cards)

Total: 19 cards

So if that is all you had to get around then it would be doable. But then there are the exploration token events. Two flat out force you to discard two cards each, so another four total.

Then three (the malfunction - event 07) trap in you a room behind closed doors. It's highly likely you'll get one or two (or all three if your a bit unlucky) of these in rooms where you need to get to an engine and then get back out through the same room to get to the next task or the Hibernatorium meaning two more uses of demolition per room, so let's say another 4-5 cards.

This brings to needing 47-48 cards and we only have 50, but that assumes no card is ever wasted. And what really kills any chance of this working is needed specific cards at specific times, which causes wasted cards.

As per the mission setup instructions I randomly chose characters and got the Solider and the Scout - they have one demolition and one basic repairs each. If you get to an engine and have no Basic Repairs you just have to pass and hope to draw one, likewise Demolition for the doors, but this means any cards still in your hand at this point are wasted.

You can of course retain these when they come up in turns before you need them (and I did) but then you are drawing less cards overall. And even in this case you are still reasonably likely to hit the next door or engine without one of the cards you need, wasting more cards. Or if you get trapped in a room on your first move of the turn with no demolitions in hand then you just wasted four cards....

Given you can only afford to waste 2-3 cards and still be able to complete the mission you'd have to get extremely lucky to do it.

I even gave myself an extra turn on my last play through (instructions say to place Marines on "Access Hatches" which isn't the name of any room I know about, so let's say it's one room away from the relevant 'Evacuation Section A/B' tile...) and still didn't do it, though it would likely be possible to get at least one of the characters through to the Hibernatorium if I'd given in another try or two.

Technically surviving isn't part of the win condition for this mission so you could not bother trying to get the characters to safety and just jump the ship as soon as you fix the engines and send the signal, killing those characters, and then selecting new ones for the next mission, but seems unlikely that the intent was to force you to do this (and forget about searching or completing the "egg to the lab" sub-mission).

Love the idea of this, and the game itself, but this just seems like a screw up and hasn't been play tested properly with two players. Or I'm just playing it wrong :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the squads moving at the beginning of each turn and I moved them when I would normally move the timer as this felt natural. This meant the characters acted before the squads made their first move.

In the end I was 1 turn short to get both characters to the hibernation chamber.

Things I found interesting:
- The nest event seemed weird if you just blasted away at the queen
- Getting hit with the malfunction event twice in the first turn makes you short on doors
- You can move through the squads without problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Moetting
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You‘ll never be able to move through the squads. First they appear in areas where you cannot go or enter. Second when they enter the one and only room any Player characters are able to be, too: the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmoetting wrote:
You‘ll never be able to move through the squads. First they appear in areas where you cannot go or enter. Second when they enter the one and only room any Player characters are able to be, too: the game ends.

You're correct. For some reason I moved them through room B & C (the nest & monitoring room I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
I re-tried the first mission controlling three characters and it worked much better and I was able to complete it ok. It just doesn't work with only two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.