Al Nofi's Imperium Romanum» Forums » General

Subject: How does it play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools

Could anyone provide some information about this game please?

- What is the general course of play?
- Is it only war or also administration and economy?
- How are the battles resolved?
- Is there a campaign game which covers the whole period of
the Roman Empire or just specific wars?
- How log does a game last (turns/hours)?
- Are there multi-player scenarios and if so, are the sides
fixed or ist there also an element of diplomacy?

Maybe there is somewhere a review on this game?

Thank you very much in advance, I am really curious about this one !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konstantin wrote:

Could anyone provide some information about this game please?

- What is the general course of play?

Players do a naval turn with alternating segments for each player then land movement and combat are done by players in an order determined by scenario.

Quote:

- Is it only war or also administration and economy?

It is war and some economy management. Mostly just that provinces controlled have a tax value you get money from, and certain regions provide different units for recruitment.

Quote:

- How are the battles resolved?

Simple D6 die roll with modifiers. There are some things you can do to improve odds, like having defensive terrain, better leaders, better force compositions (optional rule).

Quote:

- Is there a campaign game which covers the whole period of
the Roman Empire or just specific wars?

Just specific wars. A lot of folks have tried to figure out what a campaign game might looks like but it'd be very long and tedious and complex rules to govern weird things. So probably wouldn't be very fun if attempted.

Quote:

- How log does a game last (turns/hours)?

Hard to say, several hours at least. Scenarios vary in length though. Still even the long ones sometimes have victory conditions or situations where a game can be called early.

Quote:

- Are there multi-player scenarios and if so, are the sides
fixed or ist there also an element of diplomacy?

There are definitely multiplayer scenarios. For the most part diplomacy is player based. so you can form a temporary alliance and such, if the players agree. Wheeling and dealing is an element.

Quote:

Maybe there is somewhere a review on this game?

Not for the new version. I'm holding back my review until more errata is confirmed and provided. Right now I personally think the game is good but marred by some issues that errata will resolve. If that errata is never provided due to publisher abandonment (I don't think this will happen, btw) I'd maybe give a negative review because of the game state. Once the issues are resolved though I think this will be a solid game and edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the most prominent issues, Steven?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
What are the most prominent issues, Steven?

Hi Steve, fyi I just got a copy of Fading Glory, looking forward to trying it soon!

Right now the main issues that stick out to me are 3 things (others probably have their own list):

1. The non-existent cities should be listed somewhere per time period to help with set-up. Right now its sort of a reverse-look-up in the rulebook which is a pain to deal with. Easily addressed by someone doing the footwork and I might at some point. This isn't errata so much as game material not organized in a user friendly manner. Should not have passed play-testing.

2. There is questions regarding the new supply rules as it relates to sieges in a max level fort, detailed in this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30567256#30567256
We just need a clarification here. Probably some other supply clarifications needed/collected into the errata document.

3. The is perhaps the most irritating, half the scenarios in the scenario book are broken. This is due to someone in development missing the memo on why factions have multiple colors. I cover this topic in detail here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2101384/problem-scenario-12...

These issues are not insurmountable. Honestly probably very easy to deal with once attention is given properly. I know DG folks are looking at providing an update to the errata shortly after the New Year. It is a bit irritating we've been waiting that long, but we have had several holidays since release and things are busy for folks so I get it.

The reason #3 irritates me so much is that in the first version of the errata clarifications posted here on BGG there is a statement made about there being no known errata in the scenario book, which is very wrong and easy to demonstrate so.

I admit, I have a chip on my shoulder because I was looking forward to this edition, a lot, for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.