Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow gamers!
My friend is returning to Germany for a few months and has offered to pick up a board game or two. He will be mostly in southwestern Germany and Dresden. I had a few questions that I hoped people could help with.

1) What is the best (read: cheapest) way to get games over there? Is Amazon.de a good route or is an online game store a better bet?

2) What are some games that might be best to get in Germany that I might not have access to in the US? I am a mid to heavy eurogamer that likes Agricola and historical based games that aren't overt wargames.

So far I have come up with the following short list:
Mombasa
Wir Sind Das Volk!
Russian Railroads
Modern Art Oink Version

Thanks in advance for any help!
J. Anselmo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Sgobio
Germany
Muenchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi J.A.,
in my opinion Europe is not the best place to get cheap games (at least in with the American standards)shake. Deals with Amazon are not so common as in the States. For good discounts keep an eye on the forum "https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1177627/boardgamegeek/hot-deals-europe" or check this website (in German of course): https://www.brettspiel-angebote.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quagliostro wrote:
in my opinion Europe is not the best place to get cheap games (at least in with the American standards)shake...

Where have you been that you've found consistently cheaper games than in Germany? I assume we're excluding Russian and Chinese knockoffs? I can't imagine anywhere on a planet where boardgaming is more mainstream and games are widely available. My cat-lady neighbor has games like Catan & Carcassonne, and even department stores stock actual games (not just Monopoly). Every year, the SdJ nominees get enormous print runs and average families pick up the new games for 10-20 Eur. Eurogames produced in large quantities in Germany are generally going to be cheapest in Germany.

Anyway, for the OP:
http://www.boardgamelinks.com/links/stores/europe/germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links to the online stores. I checked a few but it seemed like Amazon.de was better for the ones I listed. I am basically looking for games that I would have a tough time getting in the US that are available in Germany. For example, my other friend went to Germany a couple of months ago and picked up Palaces of Carrara for a great price. This game is very hard to find in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To compare prices: https://brettspielpreise.de/

Can be found in Germany but much harder or more expensive here:

Rococo: Saw that quite cheap at the fair. Maybe some FLGS still have a copy.
Hansa Teutonica
El Grande Big Box: Quite a bit cheaper but space may be an issue with that one.
Goa

Keep also an eye on this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30712886#30712886 It is in german but the deals should be self-explanatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliver, thanks for the information. Rococo looks like a solid pick for my wife. I will give Hansa Teutonica and Goa another look although I vaguely remember watching reviews of both at some point. It is a shame I have El Grande already, because I would jump on it at 40 euros.

Hopefully if I can give him some names, he can keep his eye out for them in various shops as he travels. I just have to be mindful that he has to fit everything in his suitcase to come back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one is into Euro games and if one speaks German, Germany is definitely the board gaming paradise!

Be aware that what you can get here relatively cheap will mostly be German editions. That's why I would recommend to look at language independent games or bilingual games (e.g. Pegasus often publishe German/English editions) - unless, of course, you speak German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Be aware that what you can get here relatively cheap will mostly be German editions.
This is most tricky point for you / your friend. Good hint.

You may also get cheap stuff at the big local stores ("Müller", "Kaufhof", "Karstadt") as they often run special deals. Especially in the beginning of the year and in the summer period. But it depends on what will looking for. Just have a look and compare.

Local small retailers usually can't provide cheap games but have (outstanding) services, of course.

If there is enough time: try to get into the local community - there you might find other solutions and further tips.

Also:
Keep in mind that you must get those (big) boxes to the states.
You'll have additional costs for luggage or for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy Wir sind das Volk! directly from the publisher for 30€.

This is a game where you don't need a bargain deal. It IS a bargain deal.

Edit: It also has both English and German on the cards, comes with rules in both languages and is language-independant (and icon-heavy) else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torn
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone said before https://www.brettspiel-angebote.de/ is kind of a metasearch for boardgame prices here in Germany. It shows many online sources in comparison and even tracks the price development of a lot of games over time. It usually tracks all sales of those online sources and those opportunities are often what makes really attractive prices. Unfortunately you cannot calculate those in advance...

Be aware that Amazon.de is in most cases not the cheapest online resource for board games in Germany. When it is, the linked website will let you know. You can find out on the linked website which games are currently cheapest at amazon. Got to the website, click "Bestpreise" in the upper menu, in the dropdown "Anbieter" select "Amazon.de". It will list all games that have the lowest priceon Amazon compared to the other online shops.

English versions of games are often (much) more expensive in Germany, maybe with the exception of a final sale. But I would expect this happens usually after they went on sale in the US anyway.

Local game stores usually cannot compete with the online stores in regards to prices.

Mombasa (German language) is dirt cheap here. Today it is 20 Euro. Your best bet is to have somebody in Germany who will receive your orders and your friend will stop by and collect them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Anselmo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help all. Good advice all around. My friend is a native German so he shouldn't have any issues poking around some websites. He will probably end up going in various local stores and asking some of his friends and family as well. If I give him a short list and price points, he should be able to score at least one. The best news regarding space is that we sent him home with an entire suitcase of clothes for his daughter that will not be coming back with him. I certainly don't want him getting more than 2 or 3 total anyway.

However, I don't speak any German so I will need to make sure the game(s) I select are either in English or language independent. Would someone tell me if the following games are language-independent, German only or German-English? Also let me know if there are multiple versions that he should be aware of.

Wir Sind Das Volk
Rokoko (Rococo?)
Mombasa
Goa
Hansa Teutonica
Russian Railroads

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As a general tip: You will find the language dependency of each game on its BGG-site underneath the description.

From my experience:

No language dependeny: Rococo, Hansa Teutonia, Mombasa

Minimal language dependency: Goa (although the icons usually are sufficient to play)

Don't know about the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Gerstenwald
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

My go-to-webstores are usually (in this order):

https://www.brettspielversand.de/

https://www.spiele-offensive.de/

and

https://www.fantasywelt.de/

You'll find most of the games you are looking for there for a good price - whether in German or in English.

Amazon is good for the more popular games.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.