Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t think it’s that much more complicated than Terraforming Mars or Brass. I think if you played it two or three times, you’d get over the learning hump and be fine playing it. But it sounds like that won’t happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I definitely don't hate it, and like I said, in the future I would play it again if asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some folks feel a sense of accomplishment and reward putting a significant of effort into learning a game and mastering it, others just want to play!

It's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I don’t think it’s that much more complicated than Terraforming Mars or Brass. I think if you played it two or three times, you’d get over the learning hump and be fine playing it. But it sounds like that won’t happen.

I'm seconding this. The difficulty of learning is behind you and your group. Gaia Project gameplay complexity is actually less than Trajan gameplay complexity. The higher complexity rating of Gaia Project comes from needing to know all 14 factions and using them to judge which one best matches the map setup, tech setup, round setup, and booster setup.

If your group is ok just picking random factions that are semi-color separated (2 factions next to each other and the other 2 have 1 empty on each side) until you all know the factions then do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi agian Glen,

If you do get a chance to play again, use my score sheet. I know I've been harping on this on various threads for the past few weeks, but I really believe that it is a main issue that makes people feel overwhelmed by Gaia Project for their first game or two or three.

The other thing is probably the "power cycle" and Gaia forming, so emphasizing that when teaching is important.

A third thing to make sure everyone understands:

In most Engine-building Euros, there is a point in the game where players "switch" from building their engine to scoring victory points. Gaia Project is somewhat of an exception. In Gaia Project the winner will most often be the person who has maximized scoring opportunities throughout the game.

It is absolutely true that a player can score a poop-load of points in the final round, but in most cases, everyone will. Therefore the "small points" scored in the early rounds may often be the margin of victory.

Gaia Project - List of ways to get VP and game record

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Bryan, I can't find the reply you made to me about trying Coimbra (I thought it was here) but I played it yesterday and it was AWESOME!!!! I did poorly but man, I had a good time playing it and am excited to play it again soon!

Thanks!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.