Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

SpaceCorp» Forums » General

Subject: What drove the decision to make a seperate Solo & Multiplayer Book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
At least for the near future, I'm likely to play this both solo and multi-player, so I started reading the MP book, then I skimmed the solo book. And (apart from the AI rules) these look very close.

So close that I'm worried they have subtle differences (apart from big Competition Player stuff) that I've missed.

GMT didn't chintz out, it definitely cost more to do it this way than to have a unified book with less printing ... and I absolutely get that for people who play only multiplayer or only solo that's absolutely superior.
But I'm not sure its better for those of us who may play both ways. If the rules (for player actions) are pretty much the same a note to that effect would be very comforting.

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
... and I absolutely get that for people who play only multiplayer or only solo that's absolutely superior.

+1 It's very refreshing knowing I won't have to learn the multi rules (which I will never play), then unlearn some of them to play solo. Thank you Mr. Butterfield and GMT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Butterfield did the exact same with Enemy Action: Ardennes.

In fact for that Ardennes wargame he made 3 SEPERATE Rule books.
- One for the 2 player game
- One for the German solo player
- One for the Allied solo player

The drawback is that you get multiple booklets, BUT the advantage is that the rule books become NOT cluttered with unneeded breaks and exceptions throughout the written rules.

Like (**) does not apply to this or that, which would make the rule book a real puzzle.

I was IMPRESSED with the structure of Enemy Action: Ardennes rule books btw. Very clear, well organised and with plenty of colorful examples.

I am a fan of Butterfield's designs, but sadly I am completely out of SF interest these days. I guess it is the age. At some point I don't see us flying around to other Galaxies (at least not the science build ones).

Maybe I will buy this, but I would give anything to play his next (solo) historical wargame any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
lucky henry wrote:
Bankler wrote:
... and I absolutely get that for people who play only multiplayer or only solo that's absolutely superior.

+1 It's very refreshing knowing I won't have to learn the multi rules (which I will never play), then unlearn some of them to play solo. Thank you Mr. Butterfield and GMT!

I agree. This is the way it should be done. I wish more publishers would do this. Additionally, it would be great for mulitplayer games (2 or more) that there be two copies of the rule books.

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

Maybe I will buy this, but I would give anything to play his next (solo) historical wargame any time.

Enemy Action Kharkov is in playtesting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
Bankler wrote:

I agree. This is the way it should be done. I wish more publishers would do this. Additionally, it would be great for mulitplayer games (2 or more) that there be two copies of the rule books.

JimA

This was maybe the greatest thing I've seen in an initial box opening of a game. I HATE being a solo player who always has to read all the multiplayer rules first then figure out from the slim solo section in the back, what rules I have to add in, leave out or change.

This was glorious to find.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But no one has answered the op’s question. Is there anyone who has played both ways that can say whether there are subtle differences to look out for? Or does the solo player play exactly the same as in multi-play and then there are AI system rules. I have read the MP rules but have not seen the solo rules yet so I’ve tuned in to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, the main differences are:

You can't use the AI's bases like you can use other players' bases in the multi game.
There is only one "first beyond" prize in the Mariners and Planeteers eras for reaching the Asteroid Belt and Oort Cloud respectively.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but it looks like the only time you get compensation for the AI jumping one of your claims is during the Starfarers era.
Beyond that I think there's just a small number of progress cards and colonies that don't work in the solo game.

So all in all, the main differences revolve around player interaction and are not that hard to discern when you look at the two rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested both and Walter has it pretty much correct from my recollection. Mechanically the solo player will act pretty much as they would in multi player mode. The rules added in solo deal with how the A acts. Once you play multi, the solo player aid card will cover the vast majority of differences between solo and multi player .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.