16 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Where should I begin! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Ralph
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Now it's back in stock I may just have to treat myself for christmas... but there's a lot to take in so where do people think is the best place to begin?!

Base game obviously - but are there any add-ons or expansions you think are must have right from the start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The essential addons are characters so I wouldn't recommend them until after you've played the base game. You have to take into account how often will you be playing and with how many people. For instance, if you're playing primary solo then base game has plenty to offer with 4 characters to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ralph
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Planning on playing with a group of 4 - and hopefully fairly consistently. Is it worth getting Tyranny as I believe this means you can do campaigns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really go first with only the base game in order to check out whether this is something for your group or not.
I would not go on the first run with the Age of Tyranny. Too Many Bones is -by it`s core- already a campagne game that you can play in 1 evening -> You develop your charakter during 1 session till the final end.
That`s why I would recommend to start only with the base game. Maybe you could think about buying additional characters that are supposed to be more your kind of playing style...but beside that I would stick with only the core game. The core game already has a lot a variety as you could start the game on different levels (beginner, standard, expert), with different tyrants and there are plenty of event cards int the game. All in all it`s already a great package with a high replayability value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter griffin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would only jump into Tyranny after you have 40 Days and all the extra characters you want to play. Having more characters add variety and replayability, having more encounters and baddies from 40 Days does that also to a lesser extent. After that, adding the campaign from Tyranny would be the perfect cherry on top. Keep in mind that adding the characters and 40 Days will give you a lot more content, so if you are budget conscious in any way I would only get Tyranny after you have finished everything.

I haven't tried Tyranny yet, but I don't see a campaign as an essential part of the game. The game's structure is fairly stand alone from the way the characters develop and how the encounters work. If you want to dive into TMB because you want to play a campaign you may end up disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned for 4 players I would buy (in this order):
Base Game
Extra Gearlocks
Premium Health Chips (for the bling )
40 Days in Daelore
Undertow
Age of Tyranny

(For two players or solo I would swap Base Game with Undertow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ralph
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's great info thank you! Sounds like there's plenty to start with so that's good! Base game and characters it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The First and only thing for me that gets boring after a few Games of TMB are the firsat three Ecounters which ar always the same, so we dont read them, we skip them and just get the Bonus.

With Age of Tyranny, you get some extra Day 1, 2 and 3 Encounters. This for me is the First thing I would by after the Base Game.

Of course, more Characters are great to, but all Characters in the Base Game are cool, you can Skill each one in different ways, so I feel the variety is good there.

But when you have the Money I would buy Age of Tyranny and the extra Chars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KRevenger wrote:
The First and only thing for me that gets boring after a few Games of TMB are the firsat three Ecounters which ar always the same, so we dont read them, we skip them and just get the Bonus.

With Age of Tyranny, you get some extra Day 1, 2 and 3 Encounters. This for me is the First thing I would by after the Base Game.

Of course, more Characters are great to, but all Characters in the Base Game are cool, you can Skill each one in different ways, so I feel the variety is good there.

But when you have the Money I would buy Age of Tyranny and the extra Chars.

Same here. I love campaign games, so improving the three first days' experience with more encounter variety and having a game withcertain persistency is my top priority. After all it's mostly up to you and your group's preferences:

- If you feel like having just 4 gearlocs might feel samey, go ahead and get some extra ones.

- 40 days is great in the sense that it adds a bit of many things in terms of more variety.

- Undertow is the "economy" alternative to the core TMB. But also you can go for it to insta-get two new gearlocs, several tyrants, new baddies and a new environment to play with.

All in all, it's a great game and you will probably end up wanting everything (provided that your group is not the "play twice and switch game" kind). You won't go wrong with any decision (probably the best one is to go for it all in one order to save shipping costs, hehe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which option would provide the most bang for the buck for someone who already has the base set?

(1) Undertow at $85; or

(2) 40 Days, Ghillie, and Nugget at $75?

Both options give you two extra gearlocks but I’m not sure how much difference there is between 40 Days and Undertow in terms of new baddies, encounters, etc.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% #1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasa wrote:
100% #1

I was thinking there would be too much duplication between the original starter and Undertow. Do I really get that much more content with Undertow over 40 Days and two extra gearlocks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter griffin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Marximus wrote:
Which option would provide the most bang for the buck for someone who already has the base set?

(1) Undertow at $85; or

(2) 40 Days, Ghillie, and Nugget at $75?

Both options give you two extra gearlocks but I’m not sure how much difference there is between 40 Days and Undertow in terms of new baddies, encounters, etc.

What do you guys think?

I would go with #2. Undertow does have a lot of duplication when you already have the base game. There are 45 more dice and 65 more health chips that you don't need. You also cannot use the 3 point baddies, some of the loot, and some of the encounters in the base game. I don't know if it makes sense to add baddies with Undertow abilities either. In contrast, Nugget and Ghillie are easier characters to pick up compared to Duster and Stanza, and all the content from 40 Days can be added to the base game without compatibility issues. The only thing you are missing out on are the 5 new Tyrants, and personally I find that the 7 base Tyrants are already enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Undertow is a really heavy box full of joy ;-)
two of the most rewarding Gearlocks and several new Tyrants, a massive amount of baddies and a whole little campaign and of course a riddle ;-)

edit: of course you get a set of health chips, attack, defence and status dice which you already have in the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hailandeur
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played Undertow so far and not the base game, but I think it's a great game. Meaning that the content introduced in Undertow doesn't feel weird or just-put-in-because-we-had-to-do-something-new. The raft battles are a great element.

That said, it has a different story line and you cannot really mix the encounters (they just don't make sense anymore story-wise). So if you buy Undertow, you'll play either the base game or Undertow, not both mixed. If you buy 40 Days, you'll see the old encounters and the new ones together.

I just bought the base game and 40 Days though, because I want all the content robot

It's kinda cool that you can just buy and play Undertow stand-alone, but I feel there should be an upgrade pack (so you don't get all the dice and health chips twice) and integration pack (e.g. a campaign that starts with a base game tyrant and continues with an Undertow tyrant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I'd like to throw in some food for thought regarding the first 3 days in base TMB.

Yes, it's kinda repetitive, but this game is long and will take quite some time before you get better and maybe play a little faster.

It's kinda nice when you know what's coming the 1st 3 days and you can get through it pretty quickly before you get to the meat & potatoes of the game which starts at turn 4.

So I liked having the first 3 days as is, then later when you're faster, better & more experienced with the Gearlocs you can add AoT etc...to change it up.

Each game will still feel completely different from another. I've played 100s of solo TMB games and each game feels different, first 3 days notwithstanding.
(I always wanted to use the word notwithstanding, lol, I wonder if I used it right).

Anyhoot, GL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.