Subject: XCOM: The Boardgame app not available anymore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jochen VC
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just tried downloading the app from the Android App store but could not find it.
The direct link from the xcomtheboardgame.com website also returns a cannot be found
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyfli...

So I am assuming the app is not available anymore which I find hard to believe?

EDIT: managed to get the app on Android via Amazon Appstore searching for XCOM: TBG.
Since it's not working from the Play Appstore anymore (as suggested in the manual and linked from the website) I think it could be useful to keep this alternative solution here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you search for Asmodee, since it changed after the merger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen VC
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justicex75 wrote:
Maybe if you search for Asmodee, since it changed after the merger?

Thanks, managed to get it via the Amazon appstore, see edited original post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah is gone from apple store , this is the main reason why I am still very cautious when I buy boardgames integrated with apps, there is no way that a board-game company can keep developing an app year after year OS after OS for free ...after all they sell boardgames, how they can keep an app developer on a wage to develop an app for a game not selling anymore ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
Yeah is gone from apple store

I can see the iOS version in my purchase history and copied the link:

XCOM: TBG by Fantasy Flight Games
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcom-tbg/id953520552?uo=4&mt...

Does that work for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoichiro Ohma
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's extrange. I downloaded yesterday from the google play app.

It was the first time i downloaded it, so it wasn't on my library.

Edit. I've just searched for it on my laptop and it's gone soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s still in the iTunes Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also download the Windows or Mac OS version of the app from the FFG website:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/xcom-the-boar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could download the Android apk for the app from one of various 3rd party app apk hosting sites.

e.g. https://apkpure.com/xcom-tbg/com.fantasyflightgames.XCOM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that in the file section, some people did reversal engineering on the App! No need for it anymore! :-P

(but a lot of bookeeping!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also likely that FFG may have run out of license for XCOM. This could explain it, especially if it vanishes from elsewhere as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
It is also likely that FFG may have run out of license for XCOM. This could explain it, especially if it vanishes from elsewhere as well.

It's possible, though I would imagine any such licence would have stipulated that they can continue to distribute the app in perpetuity, seeing as it is necessary to play the game and they don't make any money from it.

Seeing as so far it hasn't disappeared from anywhere else, I suspect it's just a mistake or some other problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

It's possible, though I would imagine any such licence would have stipulated that they can continue to distribute the app in perpetuity, seeing as it is necessary to play the game and they don't make any money from it.

Setting as so far it hasn't disappeared from anywhere else, I suspect it's just a mistake or some other problem.

It's also still offered as a direct download from FFG's website (except for the Android version, which is a broken Google Play link).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stavros C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Weirdly my app (on Android) updated this morning. The update notes just say minor update which seems strange if they are pulling the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sicone wrote:
Weirdly my app (on Android) updated this morning. The update notes just say minor update which seems strange if they are pulling the app.

Hmmm... same here, now got v1.2.2.

It doesn't look like any of the other platforms have an update yet. Windows & Mac downloads on the FFG page are still v1.2.1, App Store too, and the Amazon Apps page says last updated 5th Jan 2017, so that looks like it's 1.2.1 as well.

I recall it's not unusual for eg. iOS app updates to take longer to work their way through to the store, but it seems odd for FFG's own page not to have the most recent version of the app, if v1.2.2 is actually coming to Windows + Mac...

So perhaps it's just some Android platform-specific issue that needed resolving?

The "minor update" seems a bit of a cop-out lazy description. Why be so vague? Even just a few words to explain the main reason for the update would have been useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sicone wrote:

It seems to be back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they patch it? (Same question in the other thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
Yeah is gone from apple store , this is the main reason why I am still very cautious when I buy boardgames integrated with apps, there is no way that a board-game company can keep developing an app year after year OS after OS for free ...after all they sell boardgames, how they can keep an app developer on a wage to develop an app for a game not selling anymore ?

This again. sigh...

This program can be found on multiple OS and is wide spread....

My Avalon Hill boardgames with computer aid ... from 1981 and 1982 still work perfectly.

As a matter of fact I can play ALL pure video games from these areas perfectly on my Surface tablet/portable in 2019.

No matter the fact that the original Avalon Hill ceased to exist in 1997 and the Atari800, AppleII or Commodore64 went extinct 25+ years ago.

The reason: the internet and emulation mode.
And ... these boardgame/computer games come ... from a pre internet age....

The easiest way: never buy Apple products. It is so funny to watch 35 year old Apple2 software with its apple pop up on my Surface Window screen....

Tldr: these programs will never be gone. Unless you want to wear underwear with an apple logo on them. Do not laugh, I know people who do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.