Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if you guys tweaked your Legendary sessions in one way or the other? My game saw a couple of changes made to its usual setup:

* I removed the Pet Avengers from the sidekick stack. They will only show up on certain occassions from now on when it makes thematically sense.
* I also trimmed the Bystander stack by only adding one copy of each special bystander with only a few exceptions (paramedic, news reporter) where more copies would make thematic sense that they show up frequently.
* For the very same reason, I removed all New Mutants from the Bystander stack. Like the Pet Avengers they will only guest star in selected sessions.
* Of course Logan remained in the stack because he shows up in most Marvel books anyways
* I am using a couple of ten sided dies for tracking generated attack and recruit points as well as shards if necessary. Makes calculating and spending those points easier and lowers the amount of recalculating for us. I guess any kind of die would work for this but I like the ten sided dies as they have a 0 value printed on them.

Do you guys have something similar to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only house rule I use is a mulligan rule.

Before the start of the game, if your starting hand is 4 recruit and 2 attack, you may mulligan one time by reshuffling your deck/hand, and redrawing your starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I like that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly solo and my tweaks are for solo play only. The only tweak that bridges the gap for me is to upgrade the base game's masterminds. I find them ridiculously easy compared to later masterminds. There are plenty of redesigns up here but I wanted some sort of thematic super simple tweak instead because I really don't care to be bothered by printing new cards and remembering extra rules.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787298/base-game-maste...

I can understand why you'd fiddle with the sidekick stack (I don't), but I'm not so sure about doing that with the bystanders. Rescuing bystanders is a pretty useless ability much of the time so the chance of getting some sort of special extra random boost makes that a little more appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of do the opposite. My bystander and sidekick decks are made up of only special ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with only one copy of each special Bystander, Grievous Wound, and Special Sidekick; it cuts down on clutter and makes the special stuff more special. Other than that, I don't alter any rules.

I use small dice to track things that need tracking: Twists, Attack increases, Shards, # of X in the Y pile, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have similar thoughts as you Mark.

I do not include the New Mutants in the Bystander stack mainly for thematic reasons although I am also lukewarm on recruitable bystanders. I did substitute the regular bystanders from the Villains version for the base game regular bystanders because I prefer the art.

I have considered removing the Pet Avengers from the Sidekick stack for thematic reasons as well. I think my ultimate solution may be that I retheme the sidekick stack with custom sidekicks that work for me better thematically. I already made a custom sidekick deck for the Legendary MCU version with Netflix Defenders Heroes that aren't the main characters (e.g. Trish Walker, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, etc). Presently, I think I might do a separate sidekick deck for Avengers, X-men/X-Force, and Marvel Knights. In some setups, I could mix them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with a group, we usually have a two round run up. The first round, no villains are played and everyone selects a Hero from the HQ for free. Round two we draw cards and recruit, but again, no villain draw. Third round the game begins in ernest. This gives the players a slight edge and shortens the game by a few rounds usually, which is much appreciated when the game takes 2-3 hours to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gallo
msg tools
I've kept everything the same except I've only put one of each special sidekick in the deck. I always seemed to get pets and when I checked the ratio, it all made sense. So now instead of a 50/50 shot at getting a regular sidekick, it's more 66/33 which my group has enjoyed much more.

Also it's less a tweak and more a house rule, but we're fairly lenient about when trooper and agents are played. We place all starter cards in our hand down on the table when it's our turns so we can declutter to see our heroes/combos better and then play hero cards in order from there. If we need to discard/KO/whatever, we can use the agents or troopers we placed down as long as they haven't been used in some other way (card effect, recruit/ fight, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Dinneen
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a 30/30. Meaning the base game started with 30 bystanders and 30 wounds. So I shuffle all bystanders together and deal out 30 to use in the game and then do the same with the wounds. That way I have no idea what is actually in the decks when I draw them! Could be a bunch of "standard" bystanders or a bunch of special ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Our bystander deck has 1 copy of each special bystander and enough plain ones to bring the count to 45.

We mix the 15 pet avengers with 15 Sidekicks and 15 New recruits into a single deck.

Maria Hill and Madame Hydra are mixed together as well, who knows which you will recruit!

When we play with 4-5 players (which is almost always) we "slow roll" the villains by playing 1 every other turn until everyone has had 2 turns, then the villains come out every turn.

Each player chooses a hero for the match after we randomize the villain deck. When you pick a hero you get one of their common cards in your discard pile to start the game (only in a 4-5 player game).

Also for 4-5 players we added "all is quiet" cards which are just the blank legendary cards which give you a turn to breathe easy when they are drawn.

We did a lot of the 4-5 player tweaks because we always have that many players and 2 of our players are not big gamers. It's a fun way to play that keeps it from getting too hard early on (we hate losing only 6 turns in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentare wrote:

Also it's less a tweak and more a house rule, but we're fairly lenient about when trooper and agents are played. We place all starter cards in our hand down on the table when it's our turns so we can declutter to see our heroes/combos better and then play hero cards in order from there. If we need to discard/KO/whatever, we can use the agents or troopers we placed down as long as they haven't been used in some other way (card effect, recruit/ fight, etc.)

I play solo, but do something similar with she shield heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Siguenza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with certain groups, we each pick a hero and start with their cheapest or worst card in our discard pile.
With 5 players we have a 1 round warm up where we draw no villain card.

We also play when your rare card comes out it is placed in front of you and only you can buy it.
So if you started the game as Gambit and started with his 2 cost in your discard, then when his rare comes out it is placed in front of you and only you can buy it.

Also with certain people I divide all the enemies, bystanders, schemes, strikes, henchmen, etc. into three different piles. Then shuffle each of those piles individually and then put one on bottom than the other two on top.
We like to make these more thematic; more hard villains in the bottom third and more henchmen and bystanders in the top two thirds.
So we essentially make a beginning, middle and end, like Legendary Encounters: Alien or the Predator are set up.

We do this mostly to spread out the scheme twists and/or Master strikes so that we don't get 5 in a row or something.

Also we have house rules with bystanders, grievous/normal wounds, and sidekicks:
After each game we shuffle all of them that were used and then put them on the bottom of their respective stacks so that over the course of several games we will slowly cycle through each and every bystander, wound, or sidekick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syreni wrote:

When we play with 4-5 players (which is almost always) we "slow roll" the villains by playing 1 every other turn until everyone has had 2 turns, then the villains come out every turn.

Each player chooses a hero for the match after we randomize the villain deck. When you pick a hero you get one of their common cards in your discard pile to start the game (only in a 4-5 player game).

Also for 4-5 players we added "all is quiet" cards which are just the blank legendary cards which give you a turn to breathe easy when they are drawn.

We did a lot of the 4-5 player tweaks because we always have that many players and 2 of our players are not big gamers. It's a fun way to play that keeps it from getting too hard early on (we hate losing only 6 turns in).

I really like a lot of these ideas! If I ever have the opportunity to play with 4-5 players, I will probably implement these ideas. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play 5 player we skip the first round of Villain cards. If everybody has the usual 4/2 opening hand, Villains escape real fast otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Siguenza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
der_mandarin wrote:
* I removed the Pet Avengers from the sidekick stack. They will only show up on certain occassions from now on when it makes thematically sense.
* I also trimmed the Bystander stack by only adding one copy of each special bystander with only a few exceptions (paramedic, news reporter) where more copies would make thematic sense that they show up frequently.

Is the general consensus that nobody likes the Pet Avengers and Special Bystanders?

Why is this the case?

Do you dislike the variety or why do you take them out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
LDESE7 wrote:
We also play when your rare card comes out it is placed in front of you and only you can buy it.
So if you started the game as Gambit and started with his 2 cost in your discard, then when his rare comes out it is placed in front of you and only you can buy it.

I can definitely appreciate some of your tweaks, and also the intention behind this one, but wouldn't this mess with the game a fair bit? Some examples:

1) The Skrull villain that captures the highest-cost hero from the HQ,
2) Zombie Green Goblin
3) Arnim Zola's Ultimate Abomination ability
4) Schemes that KO cards according to their cost, like Flood the Earth With Melting Glaciers,
5) any cards that alter the cost of heroes in certain HQ spaces,
6) etcetera, etcetera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desmond Grey
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I kinda want to weed out my bystanders deck simply because it's so damn tall, but I can't bring myself to do it. I have every bystander from the base set, Villains, New Mutants, any special bystanders from other expansions, and even a few Stan Lees.

I almost always play random set ups, but one thing I'll add if we happen to draw an easy Mastermind/Scheme combo is just add Mysterio as a second Mastermind. He doesn't manipulate the board or gameplay in anyway that would favor some heroes over others. Basically adding him just means a lot more attack needs to be generated to win the game.

I hadn't thought about using 10-sided die for tracking recruit/attack generated. I use dice for shards, but now I'll track recruit/attack as well.

LDESE7 wrote:
Is the general consensus that nobody likes the Pet Avengers and Special Bystanders?

Why is this the case?

I prefer having them in there. I like the randomness it adds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
LDESE7 wrote:

I like them just fine. I thin them out for a couple of reasons. First, I disliked that there were significantly more special bystanders than regular ones, and the pile was getting waaaaay too tall. Second, I disliked seeing the same special bystanders/sidekicks/wounds multiple times in a game (hey, it's another Alligator Trapper!). Both of these factors made them all feel not-so-special anymore.

I'm toying with the idea of thinning them even more, by having a special bystander deck that I randomly pick 10-12 from for each game. This will avoid stack bloat and have less of an effect on those Heroes and schemes that rely on bystanders not being anywhere other than your Victory Pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LDESE7 wrote:
der_mandarin wrote:

The general consensus is that except for Lockjaw, the Pet Avengers are significantly less useful than the regular Sidekicks. Whether diluting the sidekick pile is good or bad is a matter of taste.

*Most* of the special bystanders are better -- the only exceptions are the stupid shapeshifting copycat and sometimes the New Mutants (heroic bystanders sometimes clog your deck and don't power up bystander-counting abilities). But some don't like that if you have *all* the special bystanders, regular ordinary bystanders are a distinct minority -- and when everyone is special, nobody is. (Those who own villains as well as the base have a larger supply of ordinary bystanders available). It's a matter of taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting responses here, most seem to be the opposite of how we play. My partner & I play almost exclusively 2 player.

What we do:
-Only special bystanders
-All sidekicks + special sidekicks
-Add the same number of bystanders to the villain deck as there are scheme/plot twists. It's minor difficulty decrease, but you're more likely to see them come up instead of just 2 (for 2 player)
-We always play with Maria, Madame Hydra, New Recruits always available.
-Play pure co-op. No point counting at the end. You either defeat the mastermind or not at the end. We win or lose together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LDESE7 wrote:

Why is this the case?

I like the special Bystanders and only dislike the New Mutants mainly because I don't consider them bystanders thematically and I don't like the fact that they are recruitable. Oh, and the shapeshifted copycat. I have said it before and I will say it again. The Shapeshifted Copycat cards defy all possible laws of probablility given how frequently they show up in my games and mostly at the worst times.

In regards to the Pet Avengers, I actually like the variety in the deck. I simply don't care much for the theme. They seem too silly to me (says the adult who enjoys playing a game based on comic books with superheroes in brightly colored tights).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo with three hands representing different players. I try to focus on different strategies for each player to make them stand out, sometimes leaving some rares for the player’s deck that its is best fit. Co-operative, no points counting.

Bystanders are special only. No special wounds because I end up treating them like regular wounds mostly, very rarely doing whatever the text suggests. No special sidekicks because I find the pets too silly and break my thematic immersion.

The rest varies, as I keep finding new ways to spice the game. There’s a bunch of schemes that are unfun, and some Masterminds that are too challenging, and it sucks to play for an hour or so to a loss, so if I lose, nowadays, I keep it in mind and play the game to completion (by defeating Mastermind or running out of Villain deck), and then I come up with a thematic punishment for the next game, or if I win easily, a thematic boost.

For example, in a recent game, Kingpin was the mastermind and he was defeated, but Jigsaw was one of the villains that had escaped. So, my next game, Jigsaw was the mastermind (the nastiest effect in a villain card becomes the Master Strike effect or I use ambition/horror cards at random) because he was filling the power vacuum with Maggia as henchmen. Another game, Carnage’s symbiotes feasted on my Mr. Fantastic’s rare card (shake fist angrily), so my next game has symbiotes, and all Venom hero cards mixed in the Villain deck. Mr Fantastic will sit out for a while. It can get crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Siguenza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
LDESE7 wrote:

I can definitely appreciate some of your tweaks, and also the intention behind this one, but wouldn't this mess with the game a fair bit? Some examples:

1) The Skrull villain that captures the highest-cost hero from the HQ,
2) Zombie Green Goblin
3) Arnim Zola's Ultimate Abomination ability
4) Schemes that KO cards according to their cost, like Flood the Earth With Melting Glaciers,
5) any cards that alter the cost of heroes in certain HQ spaces,
6) etcetera, etcetera.

I see your points with all these but the certain group that I play with doesn't care about any of these. I protest at times. They all just hate the idea of someone else buying THEIR rare so that's why we play that way.

I personally don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Douglas
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally play two player. We only use one copy of each special bystander and attempt to maintain a 2 regular, 1 special bystander mix. I also add one Phil Coulson (MCU Set) to each starting deck. Coulson can be used for either attack or recruit. We also use custom Masterminds for the core set to increase the difficultly when facing them.

Everything else is basically the same but I see a few ideas listed that we may try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.