Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Crow
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

So, I want to make some alt-art cards, but I'm wondering about the rules regarding images I use for the art, specifically pictures of US national parks.
- How do I check if an image is legal to use?
- Are the laws less restrictive if I don't distribute the custom card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I think the biggest problem you would run into would be with FFG/Asmodee depending on how you planned on distributing them. It definitely would not be cool with them to use their specific card templates if you were going to sell alt art cards.

I know there are some custom card printing services online that will no longer print anything that looks like lord of the rings cards. It's a major bummer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on you for not just wanting to swipe images off the web!

The fact is that most images on the Internet are not just free for the taking (although most would carry few if any consequences for doing so). One place you might check is the Library of Congress' site. Not everything there is public domain, but they have rights advisories on a lot of it to tell you whether you're likely to be able to use it (but even they have a disclaimer on every page saying "hey, it's up to you to figure out the rights...").

Even easier might be to use Creative Commons search tool, which found me lots of National Park images that can be used under the CC license, which is pretty permissive.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I think the biggest problem you would run into would be with FFG/Asmodee depending on how you planned on distributing them. It definitely would not be cool with them to use their specific card templates if you were going to sell alt art cards.

So what's with the alt art proxies folks sell on ebay? I always thought that seemed illegal am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
John85 wrote:
Donkler wrote:

So what's with the alt art proxies folks sell on ebay? I always thought that seemed illegal am I missing something?

I mean you can sell whatever you want until someone starts taking legal action against you. Just search ebay for bootleg bart simpson shirts. I mainly wanted to point out for OP that if they are worried about only using legitimately free artwork they shouldn't use the same design template from the official cards.

Ron actually gave a much more helpful answer to the original question though, ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
Donkler wrote:

I believe the "alt-art" cards there on E-bay are the ones from conventions and fellowship events which are legally printed by FFG and thus can be sold on places like E-bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greengrappler wrote:
So, I want to make some alt-art cards, but I'm wondering about the rules regarding images I use for the art, specifically pictures of US national parks.
- How do I check if an image is legal to use?
- Are the laws less restrictive if I don't distribute the custom card?

This is always good place to start: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
John85 wrote:
Donkler wrote:

I believe the "alt-art" cards there on E-bay are the ones from conventions and fellowship events which are legally printed by FFG and thus can be sold on places like E-bay.

Not the ones I'm talking about. I've seen some holofoils and art that wouldn't have passed the licensing folks at Disney (nor FFGs art dept)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don’t distribute you will have no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.