Popular Tags: [View All]
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Having long been a fan of The Grizzled, I was looking forward to receiving this edition of the game quite a lot. Today it arrived, and I was immediately disappointed:
From what I gather from the rulebook, the campaign cannot be played solo.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no. I’ve been wanting to pick this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Overkamp
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Hi,

Having long been a fan of The Grizzled, I was looking forward to receiving this edition of the game quite a lot. Today it arrived, and I was immediately disappointed:
From what I gather from the rulebook, the campaign cannot be played solo.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks.

Hi AC,

I've gotten my copy of the game today and will start playing solo and will play the campaign setting. My understanding is that the campaign mode is basically playing through the chapters in order with special rules. I haven't seen anything in the rulebook yet that states you would need more than 1 player to play through the campaign. As far as I can see you can definitely play the campaign solo.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules to clearly imply that the solo game is for "One-Shot" games only (i..e, one-off games). For comparison, for the 2-player mode, the rules do say that it can be played either Campaign or One-Shot. But for solo, it specifies One-Shot only.

So the intent of the designers appears that the solo game is to be played as a stand alone mode. One reason for this is that to play the solo game as written in the rulebook, the player needs to use all of the Trials Cards, which means culling the Trials Cards from each of the campaign chapters.

The solo mode for the Armistice edition is almost exactly the same as the solo mode found in the The Grizzled: At Your Orders! expansion for the original version. Thus is apparently why it isn't intended to work for the campaign mode.

Now, having said all that (just for the record)...

I agree with Eric above in principal... that there's no reason why you couldn't enjoy at least a solo experience of the campaign mode. You would play according to the solo rules, but then modify certain aspects of each Chapter that simply won't work with solo.

Considerations
Perhaps a few of the "Order of the Day" cards aren't suited for solo. Perhaps some of the Recruits don't work well for solo. A lot of the Helping Hand cards may have to be kept in the box as they would swing the solo game too much (in which direction, who knows). And as such, such modifications could affect how the solo campaign is scored, as compared to how it should be scored.

Bottom Line: Playing the campaign solo could definitely work. But it's not what the designers intended, so it'll take some smart and creative solo community members to come up with a solo Campaign variant. (I wish I had the time). I've only played through Chapter six of a multiplayer campaign, so everything I wrote above is based on that experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.