Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Prelude to Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gosford Forbids Dissident Meetings (77) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In Play (for Loyal player) wrote:
If the Patriote player spends more than 2 AP to Mobilize in a single Action Round, score 1 VP

The single Action Round applies to one of the 16 total Action Rounds in a turn (not one of the 8), correct? [2.0 in rules] I think the word "single" is well applied here - but just want confirmation since my real question next would be affected if not (i.e., if it instead applies to one of the 8 "full" - my word - action rounds).

Okay, so then that same event applies to Fabre's Bookstore's event [Patriote performs actions worth x AP) when the latter is played by Loyal, correct?

And I suppose, in such a case (where Patriote inherits Fabre's event, with Gosford Forbids in play), the Patriote player (with say 7 MV in Montreal, so 7 AP to work with) could spend 2 AP to mobilize, 4 AP to play a special action, and then trash the remaining 1 AP so that no VP penalty would be applied... correct?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, although I can see where it might be confusing. The intent was never to cumulate APs from multiple card plays. Thematically, these represent two separate happenings/meetings/gatherings and as long as they both stay under the radar (i.e. <= 2 AP), Gosford will remain quiet and won't arrest anybody. 2.0 might have been more accurately worded by saying straight up that a turn consists of 8 Patriote Action Rounds and 8 Loyal Action Rounds.

That being said, processing your interesting Fabre's Bookstore example (possibly the only case of having an odd amount of APs to spend), since nowhere in the rules does it say you can forfeit APs, you would have to spend them all and thus grant 1 VP to the Loyal. You could see it as yet another example of things involuntarily getting out of hand ("Guys, I told you to keep the lights out, here comes the army!"). Another wacky scenario where this could happen is if the Patriote player has 6 APs to spend, fails to create an organization with his first 2 AP and doesn't have a Special Action worth 2 AP left (or if he already played his Special Action for the turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rulebook/cards are great... I know this isn't the heaviest of games, but my eyes glaze over trying learn some of these... and that's as much if not more on me, to be clear, but just saying I didn't have a problem here. And that card's "single" was well added. Just figured I'd double-check.

I didn't realize one had to spend all possible APs though! That's good to know, thanks.

Marcon wrote:
Another wacky scenario where this could happen is if the Patriote player has 6 APs to spend, fails to create an organization with his first 2 AP and doesn't have a Special Action worth 2 AP left (or if he already played his Special Action for the turn).

I was trying to think what difference failing the ORG try would make, and after a few minutes realized one could create more than one per action round. Guess I'd read that - clearly written - in bold, no less - rule wrong (that only failures cancel the process for the round). Glad you added that. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I generally wanted players to be able to spend APs for multiple types of actions in a single action round, allowing them to threaten multiple tracks at once. The limitation of "you cannot try to create an organization if you already failed to create one in this action round" was added because, with a 4-AP card for instance, it made more sense for players to try twice with 2 APs than once with 4 APs (same logic with 6 APs). Now you at least have to think about "can I live with a failure for 2 more scoring dice rolls?" because if you go cheap and fail, you won't get a 2nd chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.