Bruno Barros
msg tools

So, according to the rules of MoD, you can use the house cards of the other expansions (DwD and FfC) but it doesn't give a new setup. Every house begins in the same position on the tracks and the same territory.

For me one of the best aspects o DwD is how they translated the timeline of the books while creating this new dynamic where everyone was at each others throats.

Do you guys have any sugestions as to how to add Arryn and Targaryen into the DwD setup without unbalacing it? (Considering the tracks and the units/territory)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
msg tools
I also wish Mother of Dragons were compatible with Dance with Dragons because I really liked the Dance with Dragons setup and house cards. The last time I played I had 6 people and we used the setup, none of us are were that experienced but I think we all had a lot of fun.
I definitely think that just doing the DwD cards with the original setup could be... interesting. On a meta level it doesn't make any sense but it would be different so I'd be down to try it. That said I don't think using the AFFC Arryn cards makes any sense because they're pretty specific towards the different goals that are in that expansion.
In terms of the setups, I'm torn. On the one hand, I think Arryn being right in the middle of the map in between the Baratheon forces basically means that Baratheon has zero chance of ever consolidating their forces in the south or returning to Dragonstone. Also, since the Arryn garrison is four instead of two, Baratheon would have a harder time taking any land in Vale. On the other hand, assuming Targaryen were in the game, Baratheon would have easier access to Essos and Bravos and a potential ally in Targaryen as well as the ability to take loans that could help them make more of an army without the need for mustering points; however, their supply remains an issue. The easiest solution I see is to just to make an overly for Castle Black that makes it into Baratheon's garrison; if not, you could just add a stronghold and supply token to Castle Black. I would also considering adding a ship in the Bite for the setup so that Baratheon could maintain it's naval presence over Stark.

For Arryn's setup for DwD: they would probably be in the same boat as Martell in that there isn't a huge amount of difference between the base setup and DwD setup. I'd probably give them the same setup with two knights in the Eyrie and one in the Vale, as well as a ship in port. I'd also add a footman in the fingers and the mountains of the moon. For the influence tracks I think they would be lower on the IT but decently high on both the sword and King's Court.

For Targaryen: the portion of Essos doesn't include where Dany is in DwD so I'd have the two dragons in the Rhoyne and the last one with a knight in Volantis as well as a ship in the Orange Shore. I'd have one footmen in Pentos as well as a ship in port and one in the Bay of Pentos. Also maybe a power token in Myr and/or in the disputed lands.
And since DwD is only 6 rounds I'd have the dragons start at two strength and have them gain the last three over 6 rounds. You could start the round marker on 4 to make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Heemstede
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing with the DWD set-up is, is that you skip the "build-up phase" (turn 1-3 roughly, also explains why this expansion is played over 7 rounds). So IMHO this will never mix well with MoD since this expands on the base-game starting positions and also the dragons need time to scale (10 rounds).

If you own all the expansions you got plenty of choices:
- 4p not too long? FFC
- 4p Time not an issue? MoD without Targaryen (I think Targaryen might be OP on lower player counts. Only played with 5, at that count Targaryen already felt pretty strong).
- Exactly 6p? Not too long? Go with DWD
- Other player count 5-8? Time not an issue? Go with MoD, only played it once but I don't think I will go back to vanilla GoT for 5-8 players.
(With MoD you even have the possibility of two different sets of house cards.)

Isn't this enough?! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.