The Rise of Queensdale» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grey Story Cards - End of game reward questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So for each of the 4 Grey story cards they have a success and fail condition which have you draw a card depending on if you removed enough X tokens.

I don't have the cards with me but on the success cards it says that whoever removed the most X counters gets 2 medals and whoever removed the 2nd most gets 1 medal. This makes sense.

We were surprised to find out that it was the same on the failure cards as well. most = 2 and 2nd most = 1.

The thing I'm not sure about is what happens if no one removes any tokens at all? It seems that they would all be tied for first and get 2 medals each but that seems rather odd and unthematic. Similarly if one person removed all of the tokens themselves and the others removed none then all others would get 1 medal even though they didn't do anything. Perhaps an ambiguity due to translation?

Now, I don't know what the medals do so I have no idea if it even matters but I wanted confirmation on if removing 0 X tokens should result in a reward or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Brown Story Cards - End of game reward questions
A couple of things:

First off, I would say you can't get a reward if you did not remove/place *any* X counters. As you point out, it wouldn't make any sense. "Tied at zero" != "Tied for Most."

Secondly, though we have only seen one of those event cards, I assume the fail conditions on the cards are designed to deter the situation where no one helps at all. We succeeded with our event, and the effects on the game were still negative, so I assume failing in that event would make the effects even worse.

Explanation: We were trying to prevent a fire, and success resulted in one of the wood spaces on the board being destroyed. I assume failure would mean more than one wood space burned.

Third, if you've seen an end-game event card, you should already know what the seals (i.e., medals?) are for. How many sessions have you played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. we haven't gotten to brown story cards yet. I was talking about the Grey dark ages cards (they're kinda brown too...) My bad.

Current goal is Epoch 6.
Also, I think we may be talking about different things. I'm talking about the medals on the character sheet themselves rather than the upgrade seals.

The fail conditions deter the situation of no one removing but we didn't know yet what happened when we failed. In this specific game a player was far enough behind that the Robber Baron tokens he got allowed him to end the game in the first round so no one was prepared to remove any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread the designers were quoted as saying you get zero if you did zero. Did you look through the threads on this topic? Also, you should hide your spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamiidude wrote:
In this specific game a player was far enough behind that the Robber Baron tokens he got allowed him to end the game in the first round so no one was prepared to remove any.

It’s a little hard for me to believe he was so far behind and yet could end a game in one round. Even with the robber baron tokens and a few carryover fame. You sure you’re playing correctly? If his target was 22 and he started with 2 he scored 20 fame in one round? We saw the possibility of 2 round games, but 1 round seems really quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
kamiidude wrote:
In this specific game a player was far enough behind that the Robber Baron tokens he got allowed him to end the game in the first round so no one was prepared to remove any.

It’s a little hard for me to believe he was so far behind and yet could end a game in one round. Even with the robber baron tokens and a few carryover fame. You sure you’re playing correctly? If his target was 22 and he started with 2 he scored 20 fame in one round? We saw the possibility of 2 round games, but 1 round seems really quick.

It can happen. It happened in one of our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Deweerd
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi method to win in round 1:

He started w. 3 points from crown bonuses.

He also had two robber tokens that each gave 2 herbs + a starting bonus of 1 herb. This meant that moving his scout once let him spend the 6 herbs + heal 2 of the people right away and get 8 points.

He had rolled a worker face on his die and pulled a pink + the 2 he healed were pink. These 6 were spent to get 2 income and 2 trumpets.

With the double income he was able to build twice with his next two dice.
The final die he used to activate a cog building for a final last trumpet.

So first turn he got 2x build + 3x trumpet + 8 points + 3 starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Baksh
Canada
flag msg tools
kamiidude wrote:
Hi method to win in round 1:

He started w. 3 points from crown bonuses.

He also had two robber tokens that each gave 2 herbs + a starting bonus of 1 herb. This meant that moving his scout once let him spend the 6 herbs + heal 2 of the people right away and get 8 points.

He had rolled a worker face on his die and pulled a pink + the 2 he healed were pink. These 6 were spent to get 2 income and 2 trumpets.

With the double income he was able to build twice with his next two dice.
The final die he used to activate a cog building for a final last trumpet.

So first turn he got 2x build + 3x trumpet + 8 points + 3 starting.

So, I was the above mentioned player with the one round victory. Just wanted make a couple corrections on kamiidude's account of the round .

kamiidude had just hit epoch 6, and my profession bonus kicked in, so I was awarded a tome...I chose building. I had 3 robber barons as I was on epoch 4 and the other two were on 5 and 6. They came up with the two pairs of herb tokens and the third was the dice swap. The dice swap was key, because both kamiidude and I had just added the figurine upgrade sticker to a die, and when he rolled his, but I failed to roll mine, I swapped them with the robber Baron. So the points breakdown was:

3-Crown bar
14-two build actions with tome-2*(5+2)
8- from spending 3 herbs twice to save figurines (during a scout action)
6- from two trumpets from turning in all 3 pink figurines(spent after a figurine special action)
My actual fifth die was a resource die, not a cop, which I spent for two resources before the build actions,
Total resources were 2(from die)+16(from 2 pink spaces) which were spent as 7 and 11 for discounted build sites(3 total).

I would likely have finished in 3 rounds. The tome made it two, and the robber barons made it one. As mentioned in the original post, we got 7 Ravens for the failed goal, to match the 7 doves we accumulated from two successful brown cards and a successful yellow card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.