Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a debate ends, it says to discard all Campaign Strategy cards. That makes sense.

Then it says to also discard any Debate Event cards. Is that right? It seems that if they were played as Events they would be removed from the game.

I realize the likelihood of them coming out in the 7th or 8th turn is slim, but not impossible. And not that is such a bad thing, but it does remove 1 option for playing that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Then it says to also discard any Debate Event cards. Is that right? It seems that if they were played as Events they would be removed from the game.

****This is referring to the Persistent Debate Events - which are useless after the Debates.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I didn't word my question right.

Are persistent debate event cards discarded or removed after the debates?

The rules say discarded, but I would argue it would make more sense that they should be removed since they are useless as events after the debates (although they still could be used for CP on a turn or Campaign Strategy during the election).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to be sure, I'm referring to Persistent Debate event cards that were in play and took effect during the debates, not those that did not get played and could were still available in the last 2 turns.

Do you discard them or remove them in part 5 of the Debates section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are discarded, not removed from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, actually this is not right. Kevin, your original interpretation was correct. Any event card, once played as an event, is permanently removed from the game. Placing persistent events on the board is just a convenient way of remembering to apply their effects later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, which one of you is Nixon and which is Kennedy so I know who to believe?

Just kidding, thanks for the responses. It makes sense to me those cards would be removed after the debates. Now, if a persistent debate event came out AFTER the debates obviously it couldn't be played as an event, and therefore would not be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
cleonhard wrote:
Any event card, once played as an event, is permanently removed from the game.

I was going to ask the same question, but see I don't have to as it was already answered.

FWIW - my confusion stems from the wording on Page 15 / Step 5:

Debate Events
Remember during the Debates to apply all effects of any Debate Event cards that are in the Persistent Events Card Stack on the board. After the Debates are over, those cards may be discarded.

The rules make a clear distinction everywhere else - discard is to the discard pile (and might be reshuffled); whereas, removed from game is just that. Here is a case where discard means remove from game.

Personally, I don't see why these can't just be left on the Persistent Events Card Stack (perhaps face down) as that has the same effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
FWIW - my confusion stems from the wording on Page 15 / Step 5:

Debate Events
Remember during the Debates to apply all effects of any Debate Event cards that are in the Persistent Events Card Stack on the board. After the Debates are over, those cards may be discarded.

Personally, I don't see why these can't just be left on the Persistent Events Card Stack (perhaps face down) as that has the same effect.

Oops. Yes, that line obviously shouldn't have used the word "discarded" and possibly could have been omitted altogether. It was simply meant to indicate that you could dispose of these persistent events that were no longer going to have any effect rather than leave them on the board, but you're correct that it makes no difference if you just leave them in place instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.