24 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: More than four rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Hi everyone,

Recently got Gloomhaven, and the group is so excited. Unfortunately we have six (one person, who never ever plays games with us, suddenly showed interest) and no one has suggested sitting out, despite the fact that it only plays up to four. I would love to experience this game, and I feel like it's OK for me to play since I dropped $120 on it, but it'd be nice to avoid unbalancing it. Everyone is so excited though, and I would never want to exclude anyone, and would never dictate who can and can't participate.

Also length.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I had something to say...what was it?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say ask the other 5 people to figure out a rotating schedule...or have another person get it and do 2 3 player campaigns.

Those are really your only options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the game isn't designed to handle more than 4 characters doing a single scenario, but once you get past the first 2 scenarios (#1 and #2), it becomes possible to have 2 different parties in the same campaign.
So you could split the 6 into 3 and 3 (or 4 and 2 if for some reason that was more preferable). Though only one party could play at a time, since the amount of attack modifier decks would prevent both parties from running different scenarios simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's cooperative, there is no reason why two people can't take part in the decision making without actually having a character. Then the next game, maybe after sitting out, those players can play. Actually, with 6 it works well because there are 6 starting characters. As far as level progression goes, the game balances well for that so it is no big deal if parties consist of characters of different levels.

Plus ... it's going to be very hard to get everyone there every time you play, particularly since the game is so massive. Things will probably organically sort themselves out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Interestingly, I received a 5th player attack deck. We decided not to use it, at least at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
Interestingly, I received a 5th player attack deck. We decided not to use it, at least at the time.

whats the number on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:

All games come with 5 attack decks.
4 player decks numbered 1 to 4 and
1 Monster deck with the letter M on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

whats the number on it?

It's a "5"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Matt620 wrote:

Jack Spirio wrote:
whats the number on it?

Xaqery wrote:

Ah, so 1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Xaqery wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

I know that. This deck has a 5 on it. Technically, there's another deck with stars on the bottom for scenario and item modifer effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
Technically, there's another deck with stars on the bottom for scenario and item modifer effects.

if you consider those to be a "deck", I really question the makeup of your "#5" deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kolberg
United States
DALY CITY
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a group of five that gets together to play. One person always sits out, but they run the board, basically acting as DM. They set everything up, do the monster decks and City/Road events. It can actually be pretty enjoyable to watch and a few of us really get into assuming the bad guy role.

To keep things fair, we keep track of how many times each person has sat out on the party sheet and make sure to keep it mostly even. If no one volunteers, then usually the person with the most XP sits out.

Not sure easy it would be to scale to six players, but hopefully there are some helpful ideas in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a variant for playing with five characters at once. Set up as if there were 4 and play on +2 difficulty (but gain rewards as if you were at +0).

As for playing with six? I guess you could set up for four characters and play on +4 difficulty? No idea if that would be balanced, and it would stop working at higher levels because the scenario level maxes out at 7.

As for what I do, I have six players. I send out an email and whoever RSVPs gets a spot at the table. If you found that unfair because some people are quicker to their emails, you could (as somebody above suggested) go on a rotating schedule. This game doesn't require all players be present for all scenarios. It's very flexible in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is one 6 player scenario out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with five most of the time, and it works fine.
We up the difficulty by 2, and it's only a problem on the tighter maps.
Sometimes the maps gets too crowded, especially if there are a lot of summons or the Cragheart adds extra obstacles.
We haven't tried six players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Split into two groups of three and get another copy. The games will run smoother and scheduling will be easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
I just talked to one of the guys about it, and he agrees that having people pop in and out with their own characters is probably the best choice. I think the problem was just not being familiar with how the game runs, and having people unexpectedly wanting to play who don't game. Two of the people won't even always be available, so you're probably right when you say it's likely to work itself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:
Technically, there's another deck with stars on the bottom for scenario and item modifer effects.

if you consider those to be a "deck", I really question the makeup of your "#5" deck

I've compared it to my #1 deck, and it has all the same stuff.

Pardon, I was simply teasing you when I talked about the modifier deck for scenario effects. I really didn't appreciate your mockery when I said "5th player" and you assumed I didn't know the difference between a player deck and a monster deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Pardon, I was simply teasing you when I talked about the modifier deck for scenario effects. I really didn't appreciate your mockery when I said "5th player" and you assumed I didn't know the difference between a player deck and a monster deck.

don't tease if you can't take the same thing in return.

Just seems odd that they would include a 5th player deck, unless it was something you ordered additionally or something.
But hey, they are sending character mats that were printed with the 1st printing format instead of the revised format, so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Just seems odd that they would include a 5th player deck, unless it was something you ordered additionally or something.
But hey, they are sending character mats that were printed with the 1st printing format instead of the revised format, so who knows.

Don't blame your bad behavior on me. I only ordered one thing and that's what came with it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Matt620 wrote:

Don't blame your bad behavior on me. I only ordered one thing and that's what came with it as well.

This makes me wonder whether or not Chinese bootleg editions are on the market. "Improvements" in the form of expansions and extras in the base box seem to be a fairly common feature in bootleg editions (along with downgraded component quality). Is that the explanation for the "5" deck? Or is it an extra in the latest print runs? Or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you bought it new?
There are files available for decks 5-8 to print yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Yes, bought it new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as we know, there hasn't been any official addition of a #5 attack modifier deck. It's pretty highly suspect that it'd be included in a new copy of the game.

I'd be interested to see some photos/scans of the components. We might be able to determine if there's something nefarious going on. Not that we'd have anything to do about it if there were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.