Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the BGG, Blood Rage is Midgard 2nd edition.

WTF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A greatly expanded Midgard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've talked to the gods of BGG, and they believe that "reimplement" is broader than just a new edition of the same game, and instead includes works of the same creator that share concepts and mechanics.

In this case, Eric Lang made both games, using some of the same mechanics and ideas.

He obviously expanded and altered them a LOT when he made Blood Rage, but some of the core concepts are still there.

In this same line of thinking, Rising Sun is Midgard #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your last sentence held a bit of irony, no?

Well, there seem to be major mechanics that are identical or closely related to BR:
There is card drafting in the beginning of each round and you get six cards (including battle cards) - same as in BR.
There is one leader and the warriors, like in BR. The ships are on the map.
You score points for majorities at the end of each of the three rounds - in BR they came up with the Quest cards. You have to place your Vikings in villages, too, btw.
Your Vikings in the doomed provinces die after each round. They go to Valhalla and you score points - in BR, this works the same.

So there are some more analogies than to RS, eh? (Granted, Asgard and Vanaheim resemble the shrines). Would love to lay my hands on a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Rising Sun was openly touted as a sequel to Blood Rage.

But I usually think of "reimplement" as replacement. Like a 2nd or 3rd editions, or to help when a name or skin got changed (like Midnight Party to Hugo, or Discworld to Nanty Narking). Or maybe like Zombicide Black Plague and Zombicide Invader (even though the previous sets weren't discontinued).

The Board Game Geek Gods let me know that they see it in a broader sense of relations in game design. This is an instance of a game designer revisiting ideas that he had previously explored.

In that sense, yes, Midgard is the Blood Rage prequel and Rising Sun is definitely the Blood Rage sequel.

I get the impression that most BGGers don't see "reimplement" this way, because most of the time, listed games are just new editions, and not revisiting concepts or reusing aspects. Reading it this way has led me to suggest a number of reimplements that have been accepted.

I think that's it is kind of funny because CMON is openly doing a series. Blood Rage is the first game, and Rising Sun is the second.

I've known some gamers who feel that Chaos in the Old World is the precursor to Blood Rage and deserves to be on the list, and Midgard definitely has a claim in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.