Pat
msg tools
I got my expansion earlier this week and I think everything about it looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to playing with Targaryen and the Iron Bank; my friend and I realized that the degrade area loan card could be really fun to use to take a castle away from someone to keep them further from a win.

Something that I've been thinking since I saw the news on them is that the new sea march order really contributes to imbalance between Lannister and Greyjoy at the start. I usually play with tides of battle so Lannister has a bit more of a chance than they might have otherwise, but I can't think of how this won't make the imbalance worse. I also don't think ability to take a loan from the Iron Bank will help Lannister given that the cards are random and Lannister doesn't have the luxury of an extra ship lying around.
Some solutions I've thought up to this:
1 - give Lannister an extra ship either in the port of Lannisport or in the Golden Sound in the setup.
2 - Change house cards around: make Balon a 1 and Asha a 2 (Balon remains powerful and Asha gets a boost to make her better).
Another option would be to change Tyrion's effect to something like "you may spend two power tokens to cancel your opponent's house card and choose another one for him". You could also change it to something like the Queen of Thorns' from DwD which ignores the ability of your opponent's house card.
Or change Cersei's ability to something like "gain one combat strength for each star you have on the King's Court track". This makes her immune to Balon. You could also change her ability to something like Margery's from DwD that reduces your opponent's combat strength to a number if a certain condition is met.
I know people like Cersei and Tyrion's abilities, and I do too sometimes (especially Cersei when she's used correctly). I just don't think it helps with the Greyjoy-Lannister imbalance at all and that is what more cards in the Lannister deck need to do.

Onto some questions I have about Mother of Dragons rules

1 - The sea orders can only be used when Targaryen is in the game, right? I'm assuming this because one of them is the iron bank loan token and the iron bank is only in when Targaryen . Or, alternatively, do you just take that specific token out and leave the other two in? What do you guys think?

2 - What happens when vassals attack each other? Given that the mechanic is to shuffle the deck and draw three random cards I'm kind of thinking that someone should shuffle and deal three to each player (granted I'm bias because it's my idea but I think it could work). And what happens when Bronn is played? Can vassals not pay the power tokens to reduce Bronn's strength since they can't gain power tokens? Can their commander pay it from their main houses? I don't think the second is likely, but I thought of it because the commander can use the sword's ability on his vassal if he has it.
Also, why is Varys' effect moving the vassal to the top of the King's Court? Since vassals can't hold the dominance token and it just goes to the next human player, a vassal being at the top of the king's court would actually make a difference as it would bump human players down in stars or take away their stars entirely but bumping people down on the sword track doesn't really make that big of a difference. Also, thematically, King's Court would make more sense with Varys.

3 - What happens if Robert Arryn is played against patchface? Given that they're next to each other I find this quite likely so if Baratheon attacka and uses Patchface and Arryn defends using Robert Arryn, does Patchface get to discard a card from the Arryn deck before being removed from the game entirely? This actually goes for the rest of the cards with an "after combat" ability? Like what happens if he is played against Roose Bolton? Does he get to remove a card before Stark takes his entire deck back?

These were just some thoughts and questions I had and I thought some people on here might have some thoughts as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer to questions:
1. THe rules state that you add all the components to the game. THey also state that you don't use Iron bank if Targaryen is in play - so I would say that you use sea tokens.

2. Yes, I think that you should shuffle the deck and deal 3 cards to each of vassal commanders to choose the card.
Since commander can use VSB to add +1 combat strength to the vassal combat strength I would say that commander can pay 2 power tokens to nullify Bronn's combat strength.
Taking 1st position on Fieldoms track also affects all battles for this vassal since from that moment of time he is higher on Fieldoms than any other player. I should mention that Varys takes 1st position on Fieldoms only.

3. Roose Bolton is resolved at the end of the combat, Patchface and Robert Arryn - after battle. So Roose is always played before. The timings of Paatchface and Robert are the same so the one whose holder is higher on Iron Throne track is resolved first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The balance of western region is changed. So I would assume that it might be a bit harder for Greyjoy to exist there. But if you want to strengthen Lannister I would offer you to use a knight instead of footman in Stony Sept at the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Chihani
France
Paris
flag msg tools
The question That immediately came to me is about degradation: the rules say "each improvement token also can serve as a degradation icon etc.", but there is ONLY one degradation possible : the castle one. Did I miss something ? Is there a way to degrade supply and CP ?

Also, am I the only one troubled by the fact that the Pentos garrison goes BACK on the board when T gains the area back ? Whereas all other garrisons are destroyed ?

Also, am I the only one who cries at the thought that Drogo can only serve ONCE in the whole game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mai
United States
New York
flag msg tools
hizachi wrote:
The question That immediately came to me is about degradation: the rules say "each improvement token also can serve as a degradation icon etc.", but there is ONLY one degradation possible : the castle one. Did I miss something ? Is there a way to degrade supply and CP ?

Also, am I the only one troubled by the fact that the Pentos garrison goes BACK on the board when T gains the area back ? Whereas all other garrisons are destroyed ?

Also, am I the only one who cries at the thought that Drogo can only serve ONCE in the whole game ?

I wanted to bump Zak's questions up as well. It the Pyromancer Westeros IV card the only effect capable of downgrading in the game? Is there a way to degrade supply and CP ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joat235 wrote:
hizachi wrote:

I wanted to bump Zak's questions up as well. It the Pyromancer Westeros IV card the only effect capable of downgrading in the game? Is there a way to degrade supply and CP ?

Don’t have my copy yet (still waiting in the States). Could it be from a Westeros card effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mai
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Butaman551 wrote:
Joat235 wrote:
hizachi wrote:

Don’t have my copy yet (still waiting in the States). Could it be from a Westeros card effect?

I looked over the Westeros IV cards from the unboxing thread. Doesn't look like any of them have the effect of degrading cards. Looks like Pyromancer is all we get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
Joat235 wrote:
hizachi wrote:

Yes, pyromancer is the only way. There is NO way to downgrade supply/CP. I specifically asked Jason about this, in which he responded:
"You’re correct, there are no effects (currently) that utilize the degradation of power or supply icons. But something needed to go on the back of those tokens, so I figured why not at least give players that as an option should someone want to play around with the idea."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mai
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Frode789 wrote:
Joat235 wrote:
hizachi wrote:

Yes, pyromancer is the only way. There is NO way to downgrade supply/CP. I specifically asked Jason about this, in which he responded:
"You’re correct, there are no effects (currently) that utilize the degradation of power or supply icons. But something needed to go on the back of those tokens, so I figured why not at least give players that as an option should someone want to play around with the idea."

Thanks so much for the inside information Frode! I like that he left open the idea of more content in the future (How about a white walker faction? lol)

I think the ability to mess with supply and CP generation would be very interesting given that CP is such a big deal now, and you can get 3 to 4 units suddenly with an Iron bank Loan.

Also, I realize pyromancer only affects Castles and not strongholds. Very interesting choice by FFG there. I guess making strongholds a target for pyromancer would make it too OP.

Buying Master at Arms seems to be a great way to prevent being a target of Pyromancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.