11 Posts

Cerebria: The Inside World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard emotion card upgrade clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug
msg tools

A thread below inspired me to clarify this

I had thought the discard a card to upgrade a spirit action had to be done before any spirit actions took place.

Is it more appropriate that you can do actions but then discard a card to upgrade before doing the corresponding action? Or do both basically work as well.

Hopefully that’s making some sense.

I was playing it as you had to upgrade before you did any actions then sometime during your turn you had to do that action

Is it supposed to mean you just do the upgrade immediately before taking the action?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Leslie
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You discard a card immediately before performing the action, upgrade the action, then perform the action... all as one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pratt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phouglas wrote:
Is it supposed to mean you just do the upgrade immediately before taking the action?

As stated above, this is how it works. Immediately before taking an action, you can discard a card to upgrade that action. This can be done before all 3 actions on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's easier to look at it not as "I will upgrade now, and then I get to do an action for free", but as [i]"I will do this action now, so I have the right to upgrade/unlock it right before I do it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-related:

(This is probably possible to find out in the rulebook, but since I'm already here, I thought I'd ask.)

Are you only allowed to make one such unlock or upgrade when taking the action, or can you do multiple?

Example:

I started the game with the Quell action locked. I now want to take it. I declare that I'm taking the Quell action, and then I discard an Emotion card and unlock the basic Quell action. So far so good.

Now, can I also discard a second Emotion card to further upgrade Quell, and use that upgrade immediately in my first use of the Quell action? Or do I have to take the basic version of the Quell action after unlocking it, and have to wait until the next time I want to use Quell before I can upgrade it further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pratt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Semi-related:

(This is probably possible to find out in the rulebook, but since I'm already here, I thought I'd ask.)

Are you only allowed to make one such unlock or upgrade when taking the action, or can you do multiple?

Example:

I started the game with the Quell action locked. I now want to take it. I declare that I'm taking the Quell action, and then I discard an Emotion card and unlock the basic Quell action. So far so good.

Now, can I also discard a second Emotion card to further upgrade Quell, and use that upgrade immediately in my first use of the Quell action? Or do I have to take the basic version of the Quell action after unlocking it, and have to wait until the next time I want to use Quell before I can upgrade it further?

One upgrade per Action, per page 15:

Core Rulebook, pg. 15 wrote:
Immediately after declaring you are performing a Spirit Action and before carrying out that Action, you may place one Vibe token on that Action.

Note that this quote from the rulebook is also the answer to the OP's question.

Edit: The ability to upgrade an action more than once before taking it was discussed in playtesting and everyone felt that doing such would be too powerful without providing any benefit. You could "bank" your cards to fully upgrade an action on your next turn, but it would mean spending a turn preparing for that upgrade without doing anything to the board and there is no guarantee that the big, upgraded turn would still be relevant once you got the chance to take it (new Aspirations could be revealed because of a Revelation or the spot you wanted to move or influence could no longer be valid for the intended action). So, to prevent a player from throwing away their turn and possibly hindering their team's chance to win, it was decided that one upgrade per action would be best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
It should also be noted that when you upgrade an action before taking it you are not required to use that upgrade immediately; rather just the base action.

Ex:

Unlock “Raze” under Fortify by placing a vibe token. Immediately take the base fortify action to place a minor fragment on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thevillagetuba wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Semi-related:

Example:

One upgrade per Action, per page 15:

Core Rulebook, pg. 15 wrote:
Immediately after declaring you are performing a Spirit Action and before carrying out that Action, you may place one Vibe token on that Action.

Note that this quote from the rulebook is also the answer to the OP's question.

Edit: The ability to upgrade an action more than once before taking it was discussed in playtesting and everyone felt that doing such would be too powerful without providing any benefit. You could "bank" your cards to fully upgrade an action on your next turn, but it would mean spending a turn preparing for that upgrade without doing anything to the board and there is no guarantee that the big, upgraded turn would still be relevant once you got the chance to take it (new Aspirations could be revealed because of a Revelation or the spot you wanted to move or influence could no longer be valid for the intended action). So, to prevent a player from throwing away their turn and possibly hindering their team's chance to win, it was decided that one upgrade per action would be best.

Except Harmony, whose spirit power is exactly up to 2 upgrades (second one colour doesnt matter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pratt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

Except Harmony, whose spirit power is exactly up to 2 upgrades (second one colour doesnt matter)

Yes, Harmony is the exception and can upgrade twice by discarding two cards as her power. However, neither Vibe token has to match the discarded cards--this doesn't just apply to the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug
msg tools

Ok I see but also:

One upgrade per action but could you technically upgrade three different actions in your turn?

Ie:

Discard a card to upgrade a move action, move

Discard a card to upgrade an invoke action, invoke

Discard a card to upgrade an empower action, empower.

Legal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pratt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phouglas wrote:

Ok I see but also:

One upgrade per action but could you technically upgrade three different actions in your turn?

Ie:

Discard a card to upgrade a move action, move

Discard a card to upgrade an invoke action, invoke

Discard a card to upgrade an empower action, empower.

Legal?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.