Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have what i believe is a very basic question... but im new to the game and im really struggling against the Black Burrow scenario, so here it is...

I was watching a solo playthrough of the scenario and noticed that monster level was set to 1... but if i understand correctly, since the scenario is level 1, monsters should be of level 2 and if using the solo suggestion from the rulebook they should actually be of level 3.

I'm correct or im doing something wrong??

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Monster level and scenario level are usually equal. (Sometimes scenario rules tell you to increase/decrease the levels of particular monsters.)

'Normal' difficulty level is equal to the average party level divided by 2, rounded up. So, for a starting party, normal difficulty is 1.

Indeed, the rule book says that for solo play the monster levels are to be increased by 1 (so to 2, in this case). However, if you're still learning the game, it might be better to ignore the solo level bump for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off, when you are first learning the game, don't worry about the increased monster/trap level that is suggested for solo play. Once you feel that you are comfortable with the game rules and mechanics and strategy, then you can use that suggested solo increase, but for your first few scenarios, it will probably just frustrate you.

And to calculate the normal monster level, you take the average experience level of the characters taking part in the scenario, divide that average by 2, and round up if there is a decimal/fraction.

So if Black Barrow is your first scenario, all your characters will be experience level 1, so your average experience level is 1. 1 divided by 2 equals 0.5, which rounds up to 1. Thus the Normal level for monsters is 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks frekol!!!

I was playing it wrong!!! I was using the table from page 16 of the rulebook as guide for level monsters and increasing it by 1 for solo play... so i ended up fighting level 3 monsters for my very first game.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dujovne
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks JayJ79!

I just noticed that used that to calculate scenario level with the table from page 16 and increasing that by 1... so ended up with monsters level of 3

Thanks again! Thats why i love BGG!! Such a great community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.