In our games, we found that flagship with exploration led to scout rush becoming even more dominant than they used to be.
We ended up nerfing the flagship ability to go into deep space with the following rules:
1) Flagship (and custom ships) cannot be equipped with exploration before Ship Size 3 is researched.
The two next items require Replicator (at least the tech sheet):
2) Flagship cannot enter Deep space. Only advanced flagship (obtained through advanced construction) can do so.
3) Advanced construction techs can be researched in any order, as long as the prerequisite are met.
The reason for the latter is that getting to Advanced Construction 3 is as long as getting to Titans, and usually grants you techs you are not interested in.
Granted, it is cheaper, but it doesn't give you titans in the end!
We wanted advanced construction to give ways to delay the arrival of titans (with R3 or F4).
They can be substitued as follow:
2) Flagship cannot enter Deep Space until Ship Size 4 is researched.
We saw less and less CA in our games with their exploration role taken away by flagships and custom ships. Only players that would aim for titans would get them (or advanced construction).
The CA is a good ship by itself, but the tech cost to get it outfitted (ATT2 and/or DEF2) is pretty high, compared to getting a lot of scouts to hammer your opponent with (or Fighters).
Even when mounting DEF 2 or ATT2, Raiders seemed to be a better platform.
But everyone seemed to purchase exploration tech every game, so we thought that tying exploration to ship size would at least give incentive to get them again.
I know this seems fiddly, but it has given a welcome boost to defense so far.
- Last edited Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:50 pm