Rick Altemose
United States
Galveston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re like me, you’re not getting your money’s worth out of all those player cards you’ve been buying.

Some cards are better than other, some a lot better, so I always pick the best 19 or 20 cards allowed for my investigator, doubling up on the really good ones.

What about the dozens, maybe hundreds of other player cards that I've been buying that I could be playing? Cards that might not be as good as my favorites, but would be interesting?

Most of them I don't use. I’ll probably never use them. The problem is not in the game design, it’s in human nature. I want the best deck I can build. Of course.

I’ve tried a number of ways to force myself to use a broader variety of cards. Random drawing of cards didn't work. Not allowing doubles in the starter deck kinda worked, but I came up with something I like better for those of us who use the expansions and mythos packs as they come out.

VARIANT RULE: When new cards come out, investigators must incorporate the new cards of their class into their deck for that scenario. Playing Leo when Threads of Fate comes out? You have to take the two new Guardian cards, and toss two cards you’ve been playing. Likely better cards, but there is a compensation.

The new “pip” cards that require experience points (Marksmanship in our example) are LOANED to you for that scenario. They do not require spending experience points, unless you want to use them for subsequent scenarios, in which case you buy them as usual.

That’s it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Altemose
United States
Galveston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I should make clear that the new 0-level cards cost no experience points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sylvester
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
mb
I have very few cards in my collection that I've never played. Different investigators can take "bad" cards and make them really good. For example, Yorick enjoying knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickalt wrote:
The problem is not in the game design, it’s in human nature. I want the best deck I can build. Of course.

So do I, but I see one "best" of deckbuilding to construct a character and their story. It makes sense for Zoey to start out with a Knife instead of a Machete (or maybe one of each). Keeping that second goal in mind, you can set yourself the challenge of building the best deck, but it won't be the same deck as if you ignored the character.

Not knocking your Variant, it's fun to see and I appreciate you sharing it. Let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
I think that there's a much better way to doing this wich is using only cards from the core set and the cycle you are currently playing to build your decks. You can't do anything to avoid having to use core set cards all the time tough, decks wouldn't even function without the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
I think that there's a much better way to doing this wich is using only cards from the core set and the cycle you are currently playing to build your decks. You can't do anything to avoid having to use core set cards all the time tough, decks wouldn't even function without the core set.

I think Mystics would have a hard time without Dunwich. Shriveling (3), Shriveling(5), and Rite of Seeking are all pretty critical. I do think other classes are more doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nike Silva
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I mean, you said it yourself; you always pick the best 19-20 cards that you are comfortable with. If you really want to see different cards, it’s up to you to go outside your comfort zone. That’s the only real solution.

This variant rule will at least force you to use new cards, but it might also force you to run cards that don’t work in your deck - using your example, you might force a Guardian player to use Marksmanship with no ranged weapons in their deck. That’s just one example. It also means you get free access to the ludicrously powerful endgame cards in the final pack. It’s not a bad idea, but causes a lot of unintended problems.

Try not to make the same deck twice, and challenge yourself to use strategies that haven’t been tried yet. That’s the only way you’ll organically see the rest of the card pool, and get better at deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.