Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the GOP plan to take insurance away from the sick and the poor is underway, time to go for the elderly

Quote:
The Arkansas state legislature advanced a proposal Monday that would slash Medicaid payments to assisted living facilities that provide services to the elderly and individuals with disabilities — a move that continues the state’s assault on the public health insurance program designed for low-income people.

Lawmakers advanced the legislation in a joint meeting of the House and Senate public health committees, choosing to move forward even after a variety of providers and individuals who rely on assisted living spoke out against the proposal.

“I’m coming here today to beg you to have a heart and get rid of this [proposed] system, because I’m afraid it’s not going to allow enough hours [of care] to meet the needs of the disabled community,” said Ann Ledgerwood, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Ledgerwood was speaking on behalf of her 37-year-old son Bradley, who has cerebral palsy.

The Department of Human Services proposal would impact nearly 9,000 Arkansas residents who rely on the ARChoices Medicaid program, which provides home services to seniors over the age of 65 and adults between the ages of 21 to 64 who have a physical disability.

The plan

Quote:
...Monday’s proposal would, in fact, result in a change in services, cutting payments to assisted living facilities by approximately 22 percent and enforcing an annual cap of $5,000 to $30,000 on per person ARChoices services, depending on the severity of an individual’s needs. Those currently receiving more than $30,000 in services would be able to maintain the care through 2019.

And of course the underlying reasoning.

Quote:
While Gov. Hutchinson pushes for reductions in Medicaid spending that would hurt the poorest and most vulnerable Arkansans, he has simultaneously proposed cutting personal income taxes that overwhelmingly benefit the richest in the state, a move that “would result in the loss of nearly $200 million ($192 Million) in annual state tax revenue,” according to Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families.

https://thinkprogress.org/arkansas-cut-medicaid-funds-assist...

When conservatives talk about "fixing" welfare it is alway important to remember that this is the reality when they come into power. Taking from the most vulnerable to benefit the wealthy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't want the poors getting uppity, or getting healthcare, or anything else that might take a dime away from The Most Holy Job Creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m going to be pedantic, but contributions to assisted living facilities? Do they actually do that except in super disabled situations? Honest question coming from someone who dealt with assisted living for 20 years for a severely ill parent. Generally they only pay out if you’re in a total care situation (read nursing home) and if you depleted all your savings.

But he wasn’t in a very low income (although he had less than $30k income) situation. (It’s still appalling given how expensive care is). So I am assuming they are just battering people with less income that. Fucking appalling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
I’m going to be pedantic, but contributions to assisted living facilities? Do they actually do that except in super disabled situations? Honest question coming from someone who dealt with assisted living for 20 years for a severely ill parent. Generally they only pay out if you’re in a total care situation (read nursing home) and if you depleted all your savings.

But he wasn’t in a very low income (although he had less than $30k income) situation. (It’s still appalling given how expensive care is). So I am assuming they are just battering people with less income that. Fucking appalling.

I spent 20 years working with disabled adults that would be directly impacted by this (thankfully I'm not in effin' Aransas), and appalling doesn't begin.

These homes are already brutally underfunded, and abuse I can't bear to think of to this day happens(ed) regularly.

What they don't need is even less money so even the currently underpaid barely-employable staff don't find it worthwhile.

Like seriously, this makes me want to start punching things. These people can't get jobs you assholes, you're just going to slowly starve them to death? Maybe throw them on the street and THEN let them starve?

Fuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

I spent 20 years working with disabled adults that would be directly impacted by this (thankfully I'm not in effin' Aransas), and appalling doesn't begin.

These homes are already brutally underfunded, and abuse I can't bear to think of to this day happens(ed) regularly.

What they don't need is even less money so even the currently underpaid barely-employable staff don't find it worthwhile.

Like seriously, this makes me want to start punching things. These people can't get jobs you assholes, you're just going to slowly starve them to death? Maybe throw them on the street and THEN let them starve?

Fuck.

If they are to die (to quote Scrooge)

Quote:
"..they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol

Although in his full quote he manages to be less vile than the mainstream conservatives of today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
What makes this even more insane is that Arkansas borders Kansas -- which tried this kind of "governance" over the last decade, and ended up nearly destroying public education, public health care, and infrastructure projects only to see the rich folk pocket their money and invest in (OMG NO!) California and New York. That's why deep, deep red Kansas now has a Democratic governor and more Democrats in the state house.

But, the Republicans really, really, REALLY aren't into wise and fair governing, they just want to keep getting richer and hanging out with all the cool rich dudes who lavish them with money and hookers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.