Subject: New user questions about contests and activity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Parker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Hello! In my blind search for meaning in life I recently wandered into BGG and it seems like a pretty great place. With that said, I’m also looking for some advice on a few things:

1) Contests. I enjoy running challenging puzzle contests, but my previous online community was shuttered by evil corporate overlords. From my reading so far it seems like this community is full of smart and competitive people who would enjoy the challenge, so I’m wondering:
a) What is the appropriate location for such a contest?
b) What kind of prize should I give out? Is GG considered a good prize? If so how much is enough to make it exciting?

2) Activity. As dumb as this is going to sound, what things should I be doing here? I’ve donated to the support drive and have started adding games, ratings, and comments to my collection, but what other things would help make me a more valuable contributor to the community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Reichmann
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fake Mike wrote:
Hello! In my blind search for meaning in life I recently wandered into BGG and it seems like a pretty great place. With that said, I’m also looking for some advice on a few things:

1) Contests. I enjoy running challenging puzzle contests, but my previous online community was shuttered by evil corporate overlords. From my reading so far it seems like this community is full of smart and competitive people who would enjoy the challenge, so I’m wondering:
b) What kind of prize should I give out? Is GG considered a good prize? If so how much is enough to make it exciting?

2) Activity. As dumb as this is going to sound, what things should I be doing here? I’ve donated to the support drive and have started adding games, ratings, and comments to my collection, but what other things would help make me a more valuable contributor to the community?

Welcome to BGG. I can't answer your first question. But as to your second... So, what can you do here? Lots of things. To add value, I would suggest subscribing to threads/forums of games you are interested in and/or expert. Provide responses to rules questions, write game reviews, help moderate photos/images/links (you do that under "Misc -> GeekMod"). Just being an all-round nice person on the Boards. If you find a great bargain online - share it in the Hot Deals area. Buy things from the Marketplace, trade games to other members. Browse around... and enjoy all that is BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake Mike wrote:

Peruse this, it has many of your answers:

https://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules

As a note, it is presented any time you post (in the yellow box below the editing window).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - We do like contests. The only thing is if you are giving out a prize of some sort you should run it past a moderator. You are not allowed to use it for advertising in anyway and they just want to make sure that isn't happening.

A- If the contest is about Games than you should probably post it in the General Gaming forum.
If it is not directly game related than Chit Chat is where it should go. (Heads up Chit Chat is a silly place and it is bad form to talk about games there...and they might claim your soul.)

B - Any prize is cool so long as it's not advertising and as mentioned you have the contest approved. GG is clamored for even by those of us that have 1000's. You can offer up what you like and people often add anything donated to the contest to the prize.

2- Search around and find what you like. I go through the forums on games I am interested in. I chat in Chit chat. I research new games. I answer game rules questions and help new users when I can. I also like to set up polls from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat Wizard
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Shazaam! You're a mouse!
mbmbmb
I follow a user that has a puzzle blog on here. That may be a direction you could go. Also Geeklists and guilds could be options.

Check out purplewurple's Geekblog to see if this is like what you are saying:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/6515/puzzle-logic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ra Mo
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
"Overplanning kills Magic"
badge
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I also like to set up polls from time to time.

We do love Polls ヽ(。・ω・。)ノ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankmike

Contests are fun. Please GM the Community Manger for permission before hand. As long as they are not promotional you'll likely get a "sounds great - send me a link and I'll recommend it for our 'Geek Weekly Roundup' section".

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've done this a few times over the years:

BGG Crossword Competition - Win 100GG (closed for entries)

Location wise I'd probably go for BGG Community.

Any positive activity is very welcomed.

Asking questions as you've done here is a great contribution.

Sharing your opinions and experiences (reviews, sessions reports, strategy guides) and thanking others for taking the time to share their own. Helping other users make the most of the site, improving wiki's or becoming a regular contributor in a particular forum be it providing Recommendations to other users, providing feedback to designers or providing rules support for you're favourite game.

In short make yourself at home and I like your community approach meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Parker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

I'm going to suggest the most obvious thing to do: Play games!!!

There are a couple different tools people have created to make it easier to log your plays, depending on whether you use a PC or mobile. From my laptop, I use SPLU.

There are a number of challenges you can join: MetaList for GeekList Challenges. Most of what's on this list is from 2018, but the 2019 challenges are slowly being added, and the 2018 ones will drop off soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.