Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there.

I played Vituculture (with the Tuscany expansion) twice so far (and won a 6p-game whistle). The game will be here, so, I will know the rules better than the others, too. I think that we would play without buildings in the beginning.

1st question: Would one building (or one 2€-building) be a good way to compensate the better knowledfe of the game? Or is this already too much and just some cards or Lira woukd do it, too?

2nd question: I remember that we all started with one really easy wine in hand. Was this a house rule or just councidence? I do not find anything in the rules...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Balancing experience
Were you playing with the Mamas and the Papas cards? Those might account for the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we played with M+P.

So, to clarify: I played with some people in the past and NOW I want to play with new people who are gamers but do not know this game yet.

You mean that giving M+P only to the new players could be an idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
Yes, we played with M+P.

So, to clarify: I played with some people in the past and NOW I want to play with new people who are gamers but do not know this game yet.

You mean that giving M+P only to the new players could be an idea?
He may be talking about starting with "one really easy wine[I think you mean vine]." With the addition of the Mamas and Papas, you no longer start with the Pinot vine in hand. Your hand is whatever your Mama gives you.

In fact, the Essential Edition of Viticulture doesn't even mention this (very old) rule of starting with a Pinot vine card, because it comes with those amazing benefactors: the Mamas and Papas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, if you're playing with new players, don't give them any advantage except some strategy advice before you start, or during the first two rounds/years if the other players want to know what's a good path to go on.

e.g. You can tell them that generally a good strategy is to try and fulfil wine orders, but it's not the only way to get points. Tell them that visitor cards often let you do two other actions, or get something for cheaper etc, so they may wish to look at the visitor cards they draw and try to take advantage. Tell them that building the Cottage early (or getting it from M+P) is a good way to get more visitors into their hands.

So basically, don't give new players an advantage, or yourself a disadvantage, just offer strategy advice that you've got from your own experience.

If they're totally brand new to this style of worker placement game, perhaps consider just starting with Viticulture Essential, rather than throwing Tuscany and its modules into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers are gonna get this game. It's a straight-forward worker placement game with card-driven tactics and strategy.

Just make sure you don't get the papas who award an extra starting worker, nor the mama(s) who award extra starting lira.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THe beauty of Viticulture is that you can play on after someone wins, for 2nd, 3rd place and so on. It doesn’t alter game state much when someone leaves (stops playing after crossing the finish line) as long as you alter the playable spaces accordingly.

But yeah I wouldn’t let yourself have the extra worker papa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many good advice. Thanks to all of you.

So, if it seems necessary, I will at max go with an extra card or Lira, but avoid buildings and or workers. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls